Ants

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Tsumaranai, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    I just had an epic battle with ants (not from forum). They were really bugging me, while I was trying to do some decent homework. I just couldn't stand them. So.., I took out the vacuum. I think I only temporarily subdued them. There are plenty more...:eek: STOP CLIMBING ON THE COUCH!! :mad: There shouldn't be a 'War on Terror,' unless the terror is ants. Not that they're tremendously scary; just horribly irritating. It's not even Spring yet!! :crying: Anyway, I better get back to work. Just wanted to share my night's anecdote.

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

ahahahha nice post. i see some elements of blogging here. btw, how is this related to badminton again?

3. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

oh, he is just worried that those ants might eat up his badminton clothing, shoes and racket.. just joking.. enjoy your stay here.. :)

4. Tsumaranai

Student
    Well, this part of the forum is for non-badminton related topics. Any off-topic discussion is free, as long as it fits the guidelines, am I right? Oh yea, definitely. They're carbon graphite eating buggers. Worse than termites. Haha.

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Mate, you don't have it as bad as these men of god...

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/3/12/nation/17115654&sec=nation

Deadly ants bugging monks
    BY PRISCILLA DIELENBERG
    [​IMG] Daily bugbear: Boon Keng standing near the Bodhi tree which has a sign warning visitors of the ants at the Hong Hock See temple in Penang.
    PENANG: It is common to see “Beware of Dogs” signs. But one warning “Beware of Poisonous Ants”?
    The irony is that the monks of the Hong Hock See Temple (sometimes known as the Ang Hock Si temple) in Perak Road have to live with the ants and their stinging bites because as Buddhist monks they are not allowed to kill any living thing. The ants have bitten the monks and devotees but the monks cannot lift a finger. They can only hope that the ants go away.
    Chief monk Venerable Boon Keng said a devotee was once so badly bitten that he had to be rushed to hospital.
    “We choose to be here at this temple and we have to respect other living things that are here too.
    “Maybe the ants like the humans here because they know we cannot kill them,” he said adding that the insects were active during the day.
    Boon Keng said an ant bite would normally cause swelling that lasts for one or two days. The swelling can heal fast if rubbed with antiseptic lotion.
    “I was told they are fire ants. I have also seen these ants near a Bodhi tree at another Buddhist temple in Penang.
    “When an ant drops on you, you must not flick it away or blow on it. If you do, it will bite to hold on. You just have to shake it off,” he said.
    He said last year, a disciple used a vacuum cleaner to suck up thousands of the ants and released them into the forest.
    “We believe the queen ant was also removed but the problem persists.”
    Boon Keng urged anyone who is able to solve this bugbear to contact the temple at 04-228 0503.

#5 FEND., Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  6. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

solution: hire an exterminator. problem solve. ants 0 bugs company 1

7. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Or we can find a more natural way to do this such as my personal favorite: when you are away from home for a bit of time or don't play on cooking in your kitchen for a while, put honey on the wall where the oil stains are. Ants become happy, oil stains go away and you kitchen smells good =)

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ants, do you have any comments? :D

9. madman

madman Regular Member

Since they cannot kill the ants themselves, they should just keep a few anteaters there........

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You know what, you're quite the madman but that is a jolly good idea - biological control, the only by-products are anteater dungs which could be controlled using dung beetles (or the monks could just scoop it away themselves). Less risky, eco-friendly and Buddha Approved.

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Buddah approved! Thats hilarious! Where I live no ants are every in anyones house.. usually. When I was little I got a gallon juice container made of clear plastic, filled it with dirt then lured ants into it. It was really interesting and kind of relaxign to watch the ants make tunnels. Also to give them food and watch what they do with it. My parents made them live outside tho.

12. Tsumaranai

Student
    Haha, nice. Well, I don't think we'll need to go as far as an exterminator. I don't really think that'd do much either. There's an abundance of ants around this region. The schools around here are built on giant ant hills. So you know.., once these are gone, plenty more will come. Stupid hot winter!

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hahha i find it Hillarious!.. but i do agree... RED ants bite is really painful. Have not experience those that is featured in the news above. Why don't you get an exterminator to kill those ants. At least do some prevention before more and more ants invade you house.