Non-club player needs help...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Man.United, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Man.United

Man.United Regular Member

Student
    1. your level of play, beginner/intermediate/etc.
    2. your physical built, male/female, age, tall/short, weak/strong
    3. what are you trying to achieve / learn? please give specific objectives if possible.
    4. what have you tried? what was the result?
    • did you have any particular difficulties in performing a certain part of the technique?
    • how is the outcome not as good as you expected?
    1. High School badminton Team...intermediate I would say for it
    2. Male, 15 (almost 16), 5'10, strong - athletic build
    3. I'm trying to learn how to anticipate where someone is going to hit the shuttle and the proper footwork to play. As well as proper technique and form on all of the shots. I have been playing for 3 years but I've always just played not actually tried to learn everything I could.
    4. Like I said I've always just played on the school teams

If anyone can help it would help greatly

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

What exactly do you want us to help you with?

3. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Anticipation is something u learn from experience, aka learning which shots are most likely and how the opponent plays. Something that can help is learning to load the legs when you opponent is about to hit.

As for footwork, it's hard to explain. It really is something that requires a coach to help with, but in terms of practicing it, the 9 point drill and shadow play are good. Form and technique is also something that really requires a coach.

The problem right now is that you seem to want to learn everything and without an idea of how you are currently playing, it's hard to really offer anything. Check out the vid category and look for some of the training videos for a basis to start on.

4. Man.United

Student
    Well okay I'll give some examples of what I want

On a smash would it be better if I jumped up for it or just stayed planted on the ground?

After a drop shot should my next shot be a deep clear or another drop to the same place or opposite side? And vice versa...

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Well, a perfect jump smash is something we would all like to do, but it's hard to pull off and recover in time. Planted to the ground is also discourage, you should be moving foward when you smash even when on the ground. As an intermediate player, I believe it is better to just focus on non jump smashes till you get the tatical part of the game down.

As for dropping, it depends. A lot of things in badminton are not set in stone. If you happen to be very good at netplay and your opponent bad, then drop it back. If vice versa then clear it. The important thing is to keep the number of possible shots you can make up so that it forces you opponent to cover the full court. A prime example of this is when players get into a back hand position. If they can't get to the base line, then it offers the opponent essential 50% less court to cover. So the answer to that question is whatever is most benificial at that current moment.

6. Man.United

Student
    Alright okay thanks...when smashing should I be trying to hit to the corners all the time or to the body sometimes as well? As I'm a right handed player how can I make it easier to smash to the right (my right, their left)?

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Jump smash is overrated for recreational/club players. First off, not many could do them right so that the shot is actually harder, steeper and accurate when they jump smash. Second, it's very exhausting and more likely to put your team at a disadvantage because it's harder to recover from and you could put your partner in danger if you hit it too flat or in the wrong spot. It won't not take long for an experienced opponent to get used to your full power smash in a game. Once the uncertain factor is gone, they'll be able to receive it and drive it back to you with interest.

8. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Well, it depends on what kind of game you are playing. Smashing in singles and doubles is quite different. In doubles, you generally want to smash at the person, steep angle or aim at their dominate shoulder. In singles, you want to smash to move your opponent out of position so that you can get a winning shot. This means, putting smashes towards the line. It is also very very important to state the overuse of smashes at intermediate levels. Smashes are not meant to be a god sent save all point winner. If you keep this mentallity then you will be sorely beaten at higher levels of play, which I hope you pursue. Smashes are meant to be used sparingly, but to good effect. This may be confusing but for me, I think of smashing like the calvary in war. Very powerful when used at the right time and place, but expensive to do.

9. Man.United

Student
    Okay cool thanks again...this is all good guys