Getting back into the sport in Edmonton

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by ok_computer, Mar 14, 2007.

1. ok_computer

ok_computer New Member

Hey all, just registered here, so far seems like somewhere I can learn alot. :D

Anyway, me and some friends were talking about how much we enjoyed badminton, and it really made me want to get back into the sport. I was wondering where someone would go to to get some practice and some fun games in? I haven't played since grade 10, and I'm 20 now, but I am naturally talented at sports, and especially at raquet sports.

As far as how good I am, I'm definitely no where near competitive when compared to people who are "badminton players" (I'd assume at least). In grade 10 I got 2nd place in Alberta Provincials, and my ONLY experience was in gym class, so maybe 5-6 classes of very very low-grade badminton. As I said though, I'm naturally good at sports and I learn very quickly.

Another issue is that I want the place I go to to be quite relaxed and not very seriously competitive, especially while Im getting the hang of things again. Another issue is my fitness level. It is the same as it was in grade 10, but I don't look like someone who would be any good, I'm pretty fat (270lbs and 6'1''). So I'd assume at nicer, more serious clubs people wouldnt take me seriously just based on prejudice, and I don't blame them.

So anyway, where can a guy get some practice in the Edmonton area? Thanks!

2. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
  3. ok_computer

ok_computer New Member

Yeah, I've seen that link posted a few times, but I don't know who I should be calling.. Who's a more casual club for players like me? Had I not read the rest of the forums I'd have probably called Derrick or Glenora, but it seems they are VERY serious and some people call them stuck up, not my type of crowd (yet)

4. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I'm a member of the Derrick Club as well, and my friend basically sums it up here.

5. ruleroftheapes

ruleroftheapes New Member

University Student
    ok_computer

omg sounds like me lol i've been trying to find an adult training club for myself too, but Glenora and Derrick is too serious for me. I heard about Red Willow too, but that is in St. Albert, so a little too far for me :crying:. I also tried looking at the EDBA site, however, I can't seem to find training clubs other than those three that offers adult training. Most of them are just recreational clubs where u just play, so i can't do the drills :(

if anyone read my post and knows of a place, feel free to email me a link at chung_yep_fung@yahoo.ca

thanks in advance ^.^

6. andrewlaw

andrewlaw Regular Member

i think u can go to NAIT in kingsway from 3-? pm on sundays. dunno if u have to register or not tho. is for adult

7. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    Capitol Academy
    Holy Trinity High School
    Sundays
    9am to 11am
    Fee: $80/year (might be less now)

coach: Alan Thom
    email: athom@interbaun.com

8. ruleroftheapes

ruleroftheapes New Member

University Student
    sry about my super late reply, I already emailed Alan ... hopefully it goes well... btw I just gotta thank ya all for the information and help :D

9. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    Sherwood Park Badminton Club runs out of Salisbury Composite High School Tuesdays and Thursdays both from 8PM-10PM. They are open whenever the school gym is not being used for school events. $5 drop-in, or around $80 for about 55 nights of play, so it's pretty cheap. We have people of all skill levels, but nothing really top notch. Six courts and the clientele is mainly 50+, so usually we just play doubles. Slow Nylon Mavis 300 shuttles cause we're to cheap for the real thing. Starts again in september 2008, PM me for details, it's great to get new blood

10. kschwerman

kschwerman New Member

Photographer
    Sherwood park badminton drop in?

Hi there, im 21 in an intermediate level of badminton and just wanting to get back into it. Something weekly where I can get out and practice and play in a fun way with others who love the sport. I currently live in Sherwood Park and its tough finding a club that plays out here who accept a drop in fee or an annual fee.
    I saw someone mentioned about Sundays at Salisbury High here in the park, just a club that gets together, but that thread was from '08..... Im wondering if that still goes on?? That would be fantastic if it was. Someone who may have some information please let me know!

thanks!!!

>schwermankphoto@live.ca

11. JohnA

JohnA New Member

retired
    Sherwood Park Badminton

In reply to the Jan/2012 enquiry for Sherwood Park badminton... there is drop-in badminton Tues and Thurs evenings from 8.30-10.30 at Salisbury High school. The season ends the end of May and starts again in Sept. Mixed abilities and mainly doubles. Random match-ups. There is also another club at Millenium Place Monday mornings 9.30-11.00. This is also a drop-in and doubles. Mixed abilities as well with more seniors but still good competition. Last Monday is Apr. 30 with start-up again early October. The club rents the gym so you just pay the drop-in and dont have to pay the Millenium fee too. Hope this helps.

12. TommF

TommF New Member

Student
    For the Derricks club, I see that there are beginner camps. Does that include adults (20 yrs old) or mostly children?