Open Letter to? Lee Chong Wei..

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Makkem_1, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Like many of you, i spent much of the last year looking forward to the All England. I could only go up on Friday: quarter final day, and I am a huge Lee Chong Wei fan, and it cost me 9 pounds for student plus bus fare plus train fare to watch one match! Not a big deal normally, but I have no money till early April and the next student loan! I borrowed from my mate instead of spending it on food and have lived on nothing but Sainsbury value noodles [chicken flavour] and coffee for the past 2 weeks ....:eek:

I came to watch that game specifically, having looked forward to the All England all year, having moved heaven and eath to beg/borrow/steal enough money to see it and in particular LCW - clearly by a mile my favorite player - kick some arse!!!! Well, he lost though he shouldn't have. What bothered me most was I was sat courtside and I could see in his face how much the pressure got to him, and in the end, i don't think i could exaggerate how much he looked like a broken man leaving the court at the end: there is dissappointment, and then there's this. I don't suppose perhaps it is that uncommon, but it went beyond sport: I didn't and still don't think in some way that it is somehow sport to pay money to see a decent guy destroying themself like that. I don't normally get that 'squeamish' and I really don't know why I find myself writing this but anyway what the hell... I felt party to it in a way. It didn't seem like watching a guy deal with a frustrating off day somehow.

-I don't mean that he let himself down play wise - he is still a great player with unique skills and shots that blow the mind! - and I was really glad I saw it - if any of you know him will you pass that on?[and also not to pressure himself too much, sometimes you lose to people you're better than, that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for it. That his responsibility to his talent ends with putting in the hours on the practice court (which he clearly does), and with doing his best to follow the game-plan worked out with his coaches] - I get the impression he is trying to pay back the people who've looked out for him and he feels he fails them. My take on this is if you have to earn acceptance [ie from father figures like Li Mao?], it is not acceptance at all: that hopefully these guys just wanted to set him free to play and enjoy his badminton!

To quote Jimi Hendrix - 'it's all freedom' or ought to be anyway. I mean, where's the joy in it even when you win otherwise? - like I remember he said he was glad to be out of the Malaysia open because there was criticism in the press that he was only a 'hometown champion' - a bit like our popular English summer pastime of 'Henman bashing'. Of course henman never won his home open, just came close so somehow I can understand that more - I don't think somehow we'd start saying 'he's crap and never won the Australian or the US or....' if he had [though it's possible!]. For LCW to win a massive tournament 3 consecutive times, and be in the quarters or better for 5 years - in front of his own fans is testament to what a good player he is. Given time and space - and the most important, unconditional support! - he will do great things. At the moment you have a bizarre situation of a guy younger than me - 24 - wanting to quit. To his fans [especially Malaysian ones] - stop Lee Chong Wei-bashing, and watch him surprise you... But supporting conditional upon him winning every single tournament??? Come on guys.. Speaking frankly, none of the rest of your singles boys are fit to challenge him. Kuan Beng Hong is unreliable and lazy, the Hashims are getting on in years as is Wong Choong Hann and even he hasn't been able to secure the no. 1 spot or win anything major [at least Chong Wei has Asian Games [and lots of malaysian opens]] Don't get me wrong, WCH is a legend, but he is getting on a bit. And Tan Cheung Seang and the younger crop are miles away [and the other guy, Lee Tseuen Seng is doping or is it Sairul Amar Ayob - poss the latter..] So it is only him really and I think you're lucky to have him - he is maybe your first realistic hopes of a massive title like Olympics or Worlds in MS [but for Thomas Cup, you're having a laugh!]... You have a guy who's emotionally tired - whatever the state of physical conditioning, emotional tiredness is as big a contributor to defeats as physical. The Chen Yu match was a classic example: 20-16 up in the second, and he looked like the condemned man. I was courtside and it was like LCW was the guy not in control of the set. Chen just kept plugging away, but anyone with eyes saw LCW just self destruct - it was as if he was thinking 'what if I don't take the game now?'

In a sense you have a player who almost has no positive motivation to win: all the driving forces are negative - fear of failure, wanting to earn respect, and so on... it is almost like if he won, then he has earned a try at beating Chen Jin [but not gained anything because he's expected to win]. Against CJ then there is possibility of failure again: and worse, in the semis of a major tournament. Win that and the final beckons, and Lin Dan, win that and oh, now I'd better win the Olympics and the Worlds or I'm betraying my talent... !!!???!!not to mention coming back next year to regain the title! Try telling me that isn't so... In a sense, anyone hoping to gain acceptance by what they achieve is always going to be dissapointed: even if by some chance you are the best in the business, essentially you're trying to fill a 'hole' with stuff that cant fit. [I think that he craves acceptance because in some senses I reckon he just never has experienced it: people get obsessed with trying to 'earn' it and of course never can... I think there is too much crossover between how LCW thinks about himself and his worth as a person and how he performs on a court]

Look at all the guys who do succeed. Hendrawan - perhaps with Zhao Jianhua the greatest singles player - treated each small victory - even a point with thankfulness 'Thankyou God for that point' was his mantra. Start small. Chong wei cares too much about peoples opinion, which is bad for him. Life is too short, your playing career is too short. It would be the saddest thing to get to the end of a career and even win a major title yet look back and think 'I hated all that' or 'I failed'. To be honest, who cares, 10 years later nobody will remember if he won this or that. On a very practical level, he is good enough to earn a living at it and moreover, he's been a solid top 10 all his playing career, there are probably only 5-6 guys out there in the world right now who can have a realistic chance of beating him even on a bad day.

In my opinion, I don't care whether he makes consistent world no.1 or makes a major Olympics or World win. I think badminton needs a LCW, a humble guy who has a good word for every fan and opponent and a unique playing style - a great improviser and flair player! I play singles and have the ugliest game known to man built around a big smash and general stubborn annoyingness! [in fairness it is a very decent smash but it bloody needs to be because the rest of my game's poor!] So it really pains me to see my antithesis - somebody really skilful! - not enjoying the great talent they're fortunate enough to have.
    Anyway after starting this thread I need my beauty sleep! he he heh!
    P.

Lina Ng likes this.
  2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Who says badminton is all skills? As in every human endeavour the mind is king. The new 21 point system is a good testimony to the importance of mental strength like never before.

3. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I like how you put it.

It's that, right there, which drove me out of badminton. But I'm sure LCW has the metnal toughness to overcome things like that.

4. sshuang90

sshuang90 Regular Member

In AE, LCW did not lose to a person he's better than. Gade did.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think that is very well written and heartfelt "letter". i haven't seen the face that you described of LCW. but i can see how the burden of the whole country is rested on his shoulders, the burden to lift his country's name in glory, the burden to face eternal criticism by the same ppl who gave him too high expectations and false support from the beginning. the "i love you when you win but i step on you when you lose" type of attitude that is unfortunately quite abundant.

perhaps someone who know him, and there are a few around, should foward this letter to LCW. maybe this will provide him some comfort that there are still people who genuinely care about him the person and not just care about his winnings.

6. ixory

ixory Regular Member

After reading ur letter,i feel touched,than i realise he already done the best for the countries.Why should i blame him for his loses.He sacrifies a lot.TQ Makkem for u kind letter.

7. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Ya, so touching. Poor thing LCW

8. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

we jst want LCW to improve himself,arent we?

p/s: for the country`s sake,pls sumone write such a letter to HAFIZ hASHIM ! he needs those letters,and those may take up ths whole web page! hafiz WAKE UP!

9. pauline

pauline Regular Member

students
    yea,well written.I just feel LCW needs support,he really needs...

10. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    At this level, mental toughness is the key. I am afraid to say that LCW is a bit short on this. When in play he "carries" a burden because of the fear of letting those dear to him down-a personal weakness for a true champion. The ability to disconnect this "burden" during play is something that has already been quite fixed at his age, although a good motivator coach can be of some help. But any external help is not permanent. It could be worse if the mentor leaves.
    It is you and you alone who can get yourself out from this low. Like Mohd Ali, self belief, unbounded confidence that 'I am the Greatest' sustains champions under pressure.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh it is nice to know that we really have a badminton fan who is willing to endure some discomfort and 'hardship' just to support his idol LCW.

My guess is that Makkem must be a foreign student from Malaysia. I hope Makkem has now recovered, although unfortunately LCW has not when he followed up with another loss to RS in the ongoing Swiss Open. Yes nine English pounds is a lot to pay for just a QF match compared to Sing $18 for a season ticket to all matches that will be played at the forthcoming Aviva Open Singapore.

But I think we should not give up on LCW whom Makkem believes is suffering from mental exhaustion and as Kwun said, someone close to LCW should deliver Makkem's 'open' letter to him to let him know that someone cares for his well being and still has confidence in him to take the badminton world by storm again. ;)

Maybe LCW should adopt a "devil-may-care" attitude like the new AE men's doubles champions KKK/TBH.

#12 Loh, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  13. heavyn91

heavyn91 Regular Member

Student
    i believe that LCW will recover from his loses for these few matches..
    He is still the best for me and for all of u here!!

14. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    maybe he is mentally tired.. give him some more... we are all disappointed, i know..
    but we cant do anything except giving him more support....

pray for the best for him.... LCW u can do it... i believe the best of u has not been revealed yet!

15. Shiro

Shiro Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for ur letter...it kinda explains some things...
    LCW still has a lot more to go for and let's just hope (continue hoping) that he will reach the top of whatever mountain he's climbing.
    He should take his time overcoming some big rocks in his path.
    With experience, he can move forward...
    - Your letter convinced me to continue supporting him, although I felt kinda tired...

16. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Maybe LCW should take a break/vacation from singles and play mixed doubles with his GF WMC....:) He may start to enjoy badminton again by playing with someone that he cares about.:)

Just have fun.

Since they both exited first round in Swiss open, they could of played another event.

17. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah it makes me sad to see him like this :(. He seems to have completely lost confidence, and with every loss that results of this his mental state just gets worse. He needs something like this letter to really help him get back on track.

18. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

[ the burden to face eternal criticism by the same ppl who gave him too high expectations and false support from the beginning. the "i love you when you win but i step on you when you lose" type of attitude that is unfortunately quite abundant.

I agree with Kwun on this. IMO this letter meant for LCW should be an eye-opener for all. The players are just as human as us & with all the training & sacrifices made, no player wants to lose, more so to lose when they are so close to winning. We should not dwell on the mistakes made but should be more forgiving and let's hope LCW will not be too hard on himself.

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    To quote Richard Marx "Love you when you're standing tall. Nobody knows you when you've fallen..."

Makkem_1, props & respect to you man for such a well written thoughtful article on the position of Lee Chong Wei. It really seems like no other Malaysian MS player is capable and/or willing to take the burden of the country which Lee Chong Wei carries alone. It might sound like I'm accusing the other Malaysian Single Players of laying down on court, in fear of success and what comes with the teritory..... but overall it's not what they 'try' to put up with in tournament... But perhaps they are satisfied with their position without the 'limelight'

Thankfully, the doubles department results of late seems to have reduced the attention and direct pressure fro. the masses and press.

The Future of Malaysian Badminton Men Singles must lie with the next generation. Hopefully Rashid's 2010-12 separation from from The Current National Team will keep them 'free from the old disease' so to speak and form their own positive work & training Culture / Ethics.

Cheers.
    TBBMBB(N)

20. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Thanks Makkem for a well written open letter to LCW.....now perhaps someone shud point his thread to him and he will realise that his fans are still behind him thru thick and thin.
    Perhaps with his previous coach's leaving, it did have some effect on him however small it maybe be. Afterall, you can see how passionate Li Mao used to advise/motivate LCW during the breaks but I ddidnt notice this with Tat Meng. Why?
    And ,also, strategy wise, was it the right strateties being employed during a match? I dun see many net shots being played. Issit a lack of the rite strategy or a lack of confidence?
    Whatever it is, I am sure LCW will bounce back and come back stronger for the rest of the SS and of course the World Championship in August. GO LCW !