cross court smash return

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rotanimod, Mar 14, 2007.

1. rotanimod

rotanimod Regular Member

Student
    I play double...and sometimes when I smash the opponents (straight, not cross court), the shuttle was returned cross court so fast that my front partner could not intercept it and I myself at the back also could not chase the shuttle in time. I am wondering whats wrong with the smash....is it because the smash was weak? flat? bad placement? Thanks

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Probably the placement. It's not advisable to smash cross-court as a) the player you're smashing at has more time to receive the bird and thus hit a better return and b) you will have less time to recover and are leaving the opposite back corner vulnerable.

Generally, smashing straight at the body of the nearest player is a good rule of them. The only time I'd recommend deliberately smashing crosscourt is when one player is obviously weaker than the other... then you should hit to that player, no matter where they are on the court.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Nothing wrong with your smash. Your opponents are just more savvy in returning your smashes cross court to places that will unbalance both you and your partner. The human eye sees things coming straight very well but not so well accross or sudden change of directions.

4. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Well, nothing is really wrong, it is just that the opponent is able to respond faster then you. Tricks to avoid this include smashing at people, keeping the angle steep and returning to your base.

5. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    maybe your partner didnt anticipate the shot...
    i think that you should choose the person to smash...
    maybe you chose the one stand close to the net..especially if its a straight smash...

6. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    for a super quick cross court return when u smash down the line
    most of the time its really up to your partner in front to save the day
    or you can try to use a more wrist type snap smash which you have less
    recovry time when you play such sharp opponent.

7. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Where was your partner? In the same court as you, or at the T?

If he/she is in the same court as you, and the opponent is consistently driving the smash cross court, your partner should position himself/herself closer to the T. Basically your partner forgo the straight reply, so as to cover the cross court reply. You must then get the straight drive (but your partner goes for the straight block).

If the opponent is driving the shuttle right past your partner, he/she should position himself/herself one step back, but be alert for blocks to the net.

Ultimately, like the other posters said, it is the placement (and speed) of your smash that invited the cross court drive reply. The thing to realize is that even the best player cannot drive every smash back.

Every player has a striking zone within which he/she can execute a cross court drive. The better the player, the bigger this zone is, but the center of this zone is roughly half a racquet's length left of the left knee for backhand replies, and roughly symmetrically on the other side for forehand replies.

Try directing your smash away from this point.

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Ack. Ignore my post. I completely mis-interpreted.

So it's mostly your partner in the front's fault, but as mentioned above, you're probably hitting at a location within comfortable reach of the player rather than at their body or down the line, which makes a good return difficult.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Could be a number of things.
    Direction of your smash, predictability of the smash, net players positioning.

We've had threads before about where to smash. Some good ones with diagrams. I'll see if I can find some in a while.

Straight isn't always best. Angling it into court a bit reduces the angle of return the defender has available. This makes your partner's job at the net easier.

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

11. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    I am not sure the quality of the smash...but you can use the situation to your advantage.

I was told your front partner should cut that shot off (front partner should be about behind the service line with racquet up and ready to smash down). Unless it is lifted high, then it's yours. This will catch the otherside off guard, probably make them lift the birdie high....then you should have control of the rally.

then again, I am an low-intermediate player taking adult lessons.....

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    if an opponent could consistently make crosscourt returns on your smashes, he probably anticipated it well, or maybe your smash just isn't fast enough...
    It might not be your partner's fault too...afterall the cross court return often catch people by surprise.
    What u and your partner can do is to be more alert, and don't be too quick to rush in front to pressurize after a not-so high-quality smash or drop, because the cross court return is possible... hope u get what i mean

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

vary your shots,
    sometime people (including me) have a good smash, but don't vary enough, allowing your opponents to anticipate where you're going to smash. situations ending up where you smash, only to see your smashing éxactly where your opponents racket is. with a fast drive to the other side.

when you get a short lift your partner should not be standing at the T, but a foot behind it. after your smash all your weight is transfered forward, allowing you to follow up on a straight return, crossdrives are your partners problem;) rotating while attacking is still difficult though, even for the more experienced payers...

another option would be to make sure your smash goes steep...if they have to get the smash below netheight (way below if succesfull) there's no way your partner can't get the drive...
    (though I don't know how high you jump, or how tall you are, but focus on getting a good angle)

14. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    sometimes, standing too close to the T is not good, you just don't have enough time to react. come back one stride, so you have more time to react to drives cross court. remember, you can always go forward to the net, but one step back gives you sooooo much ,more time to react