Is Rally Scoring really here to stay?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by SystemicAnomaly, Mar 16, 2007.

1. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I was under the impressoin that the rally scoring rules adopted last year were still something of an experiment and would be reviewed after the next Olympics. As further evidence of this belief, I had noticed that both the older, 3x15 (2002) Laws and the newer (rally score) 3x21 (2006) Laws appeared on the BWF site (and other sites) fairly recently -- pretty sure that I saw both of them there just a few weeks ago (some 10 months after the adoption of the newer rules for international play).

However, today I just checked the BWF and the BA of India sites and noticed that the 3x15 Laws no longer appeared. Does this mean that there is no going back & we are actually stuck with rally scoring? Was there a recent decision made to this effect?

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It does look like the sport has been sissified forever. Next generation player will probably be less fitter, and singles will more and more become similar to doubles.. Its sad..but nothing lasts forever.. maybe the successor of Punch will like longer matches, so scoring may get changed...

Cheers,
    Twobeer

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

RPS was introduced to achieve various aims, including making badminton more attractive to TV companies (via more predictable match durations), and reducing injuries to players.

If these things are measured, then at the next rule changing AGM, we can decide if RPS has been effective in achieving those aims. If it has not been effective, then there should be no reason to keep RPS.

that's my opinion, anyway.
    I am anti-RPS but it hasn't affected me much yet, other than putting me off entering Veterans tournaments. I've never been too bothered about County Vets because they don't play singles.

4. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Not been reading these forums for while -- what does the acronym AGM mean? How often do these meetings happen? Kinda doubt that RPS will be dumped before the next Olympics... but it could happen.

Around these parts, RPS has not been embraced at all. Not sure about collegiate competition but I know that most, if not all, of the high school teams around here are shying away from RPS. They've adopted a wait-&-see attitude for this one. They probably felt burned by the 7-point experiment a while back. They adopted that one for only one season and subsequently switched back to classic scoring.

Very few ppl in the open gyms around here use RPS. Even tho' I'm not fan of RPS, I suggest it every once in while but I'm almost always shot down. Players find the doubles serving order too confusing. Perhaps others just don't know about it or are reluctant to try it --- "cuz it's just another stoo-pid experiment".

5. Neil Nicholls

Annual General Meeting

(surely with the power of the internet at your fingertips you could have found that out with a couple of clicks)

6. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Not really. Tried the search function here and that yielded some horrendously long threads that would take forever to wade thru. I tried a few threads but got nowhere. Also tried AcronymFinder but my ISP wouldnt take me there. Guess I coulda tried a Wikipedia but I didnt think of it.

Thnx for the info.

7. Neil Nicholls

let google be your friend.
    there are a variety of things AGM could stand for, but searching for AGM (on its own) in google brings me back a page full of Annual General Meeting standing out in bold.

edit:
    apologies for the off-topic

#7 Neil Nicholls, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  8. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Google is a good friend of mine. 'twas actually the 1st thing I tried but nothing stood out in the first several pages that looked like it fit the context here. Since my internet connection was rather slow at the time, I gave up after a bit more than 5 minutes cuz I came to the conclusion that AGM was probably an acronym invented on these BC forum pages, not unlike NSS.

ok, back on topic...

9. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    #9 crashandburn, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  10. crashandburn

badminton player
    Anyway...here in UK.....many clubs still using 3x15 score.

IMHO, 3x15 is a better system and also.....if we want to promote badminton to the world (forget the TV comercial bits.....) SURELY the first thing you want to do is sticking with 3x15 points score coz we dont want non-badminton people to think.....what kinda sport is this...KEEP CHANGING scoring point every year...and they shy away from it...!

11. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    We still use 3*15 in our club as thats what we play in the local league. Next year I think we'll probably be using RPS as the county teams here have probably suffered from switching from one system to another. I think its definitely possible to be a little more complacent with 3*15 and you can get away with making some errors. Definitely not the case with RPS.

I still prefer 3*15 though. That's 'real' badminton for me.

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I find the new system a lot more exciting personally. So... I hope it's here to stay :). Although it's not a huuuge issue to me, I wouldn't be too worried if it did change back to the old ways (or yet another new system).

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that is good and bad sides of both scoring system. The main negative of the NSS is bad serve is counted as point. In the OSS, points are earned from rallying itself. So if i won 15-13, all 15 points are won based on tactic and efforts. If i lose 19-21 under the NSS because i miss the serve twice, it doesn't give me good feeling since if i didnt miss the serve, the score could have been 20-19 for me. Ie, bad service counted equally as a point earn from a long hard earned rally.

14. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yep that's one of the few things I dislike about the new system. If you make a mistake on the serve your opponent gets a point without doing anything! So frustrating sometimes :rolleyes:!

15. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    It's nice to force consistency, but I feel the downfall is where luck plays in. A lucky bounce off of the tape or a random wind-draft pushing the bird can suddenly become the difference between a win or a loss.

I also had no idea what AGM was :p

16. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    AGM = British acronym ?

Neil & C&B:

Your use of AGM may very well be known by every man, women & child over the age of 2 in the UK, bit it appears that it may not necessarily be so on much of the rest of the planet. I asked my friends about AGM & no one was familiar with this usage (most of us are well past 40 ans so we've been around for a while).

Neil's suggestions came across as polite enuff but after 3 posts from the 2 of you, the subtext seemed to imply that I was either lazy, mentally deficient or just a complete idiot. Let it be know that, while I may be an idiot, I'm hardly complete.

Do you guys use google.com as a URL when performing a google search?

I decided to investigate your responses a bit further yesterday. It appears that your google search has a definite UK bias. After experimenting with the URL a bit, I found that typing google.co.uk yielded completely different results than when I used google.com as a URL. When I saw those results, I can see why you thought I must be mentally defective since the UK google search makes it very obvious what is intended when you use AGM.

If google.com still gives you a local UK bias try some variation of google.us

Cheerio gents, ~gr

17. crashandburn

badminton player
    Didn't mean to offend anybody with previous statement.
    Yes...just did it with google.us and still AGM came out as a sore thumb in the first few at least.....

End of discussion.

18. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    I hate the 21pt scoring system I can't say enough bad thing's about it, I bet it was first concieved by someone who does not even play Badminton. Clearly they know nothing. Funny thing is I am a fast starter and you would imagine I would like it because of this.

As far as TV is concerned they can go to hell too. They bore the pants off us by screening Cricket test matches for 5 days consecutive and finish as a draw????????? I mean what is that all about.:mad: The best Tennis matches are the marathon 3 hour ones, in the slams.

The 15 point system pushed people mentally and they would fight to stay alive. Now they think oh well I am losing and think they can't catch up. It's disheartening for them you can see it from their body language. They give up because they feel they have lost and just want to run off court when in that position.

19. crashandburn

badminton player
    Am with you all the way StealthBoy ....!
    Agree 100%

BYW, is there a proper chanel so that we can voice out our opinion with regard to this 21points scoring system ?!

OR does anybody knows someone "inside" that can influence and forward a proposal to them from "BadmintonCentral" users.....like a singnatures from all of us to them about keeping 15 points SS ..

Just an innocent idea from CrashandBurn ..

20. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Today, it did show up twice on the 1st page. When I googled it yesterday and 3 days ago, it did not up at all on the first page or even the first few pages. Had to go to the UK google yesterday to see it.

Still think you owe me an apology.