New racket: can't decide between strings/tension...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Mark A, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Firstly, sorry if this has already been covered in another thread; my search suggested it hadn't.

I've just bought an Armortec 800 Off. at a bargain price (it's real!) and I'm playing with the stock string (19-20lb ish) until Easter, when I'll have it done up properly. After years of using BG65Ti, I got tired of it losing tension as quickly as it does, but I enjoyed its durability (I hardly ever mishit). I play twice a week for 3 hours at a time.

I am intending to go up to the maximum of 24lb, since my previous strings have always "bedded in" to 1 or 2 lbs less than when they were fresh.

I've narrowed my string down to three options: BG80, Nanogy 95 and Ashaway Micropower (I have access to all three). I've read Dink's excellent review table, but I still can't quite commit, as each one has minor strengths and weakness. Can anybody offer any experience with these three strings, in addition to Dink's review, that might help me choose?

Many thanks,

M.:)

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Sorry, forgot to add that I'd checked the Reviews section: no reviews yet for Nanogy, lots (mostly positive) for BG80 and one (not very detailed) for Micropower.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I will suggest BG80 @ 21X23 lb over Nanogy because it is much more cost effective. Also, if you BG65ti last you that long, BG80 will last you pretty long also. I never tried MicroPower, so I can not tell you anything.

4. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    I read a thread saying the outer coating on the BG80 is prone to cracking and this is the start of the sting popping. I am gonna replace my string soon and I think I am gonna go for the Nanogy 95. I can't wait for Nangogy 98 to come out as I think that will be a good choice for me as it is high repulsion.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

my mate at my club says that ng95 is crap, it feels like a totally dead string and he will never use it again. he normally uses bg80 or bg85, and i have used both (prefer bg85) so i would recommend them.

6. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Try either bg 85 or bg 80 but bg 80 has more durability and holds tension better. You could try both of them before you buy them. They're not that pricey check this site www.mybadmintonstore.com

7. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    In England Nanogy 95 and BG80 cost the same £9 or $18 USD. Everyone always keeps going on about the price of Nanogy 95 on here and how costly it is. How much do both string's cost in the U.S.?

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I must say that Nanogy is actually cheaper than BG80 on at least one website I found. A friend of mine from the club has had his MP99 done up in Nanogy and I have to admit it doesn't really look/sound/feel special. In fact, the coating gives it a slightly greasy texture. The comments about "deadness" are also worrying since, as a wristy net shooter, I really need to know what's going on at the head.

The big selling point my local stockist pushed about the Nanogy is its tension holding skills. However, I'm told that BG80 AND Micropower both offer similar prowess. So now it's down to these two...

Thanks everyone - keep comments coming!