People In Edmonton!

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Roman00, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

anyone in any of the clubs from the website
    http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba/clubs.htm ?

If so, explain the if there are are groupings or the level of the club

since I want to join a club to get better im just wondering if anyone has.

2. ruleroftheapes

ruleroftheapes New Member

University Student
    hmm all i play is at the UofA club, but most people there are at about a intermediate/advance level and i didnt' go to other clubs so i can't tell whether they are a strong club or not, however, if u can find a friend to come with you, u can check out E-19 (near the pavilion, UofA) there's some really strong players that like to play there. oh btw my friend says IBC is not bad (the Wagner area)

hopefully that helps

3. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

which area of the city do you live in? That was my determining factor, I live in the south end, so for me the IBC club (Wagner) is fairly convenient, and I joined up there. I also go to E-19 once in awhile. IBC only allows drop ins on Fridays, otherwise you have to be a member
    Northgate club is mostly recreational, but you do get lots of playing time since it is not too busy. They allow drop ins for $5

Easiest thing to do is just grab a friend, get out and play, and see for yourself how you compare. Most of the people at the clubs are pretty friendly and willing to play with anyone. Just ignore the bad apples

Good luck!!

4. HappyPlato

HappyPlato Regular Member

Most of the clubs, they have all kinds of players, from beginners to advanced. Each year, there is a bit of change, so you can't say for sure who you will meet there. Do couple drop-in to check it yourself is probably the best way to go.

5. HappyPlato

Probably a bit late to join the any of the clubs, as they most will only run until end of May or so. Do you drop in now, then you can decide which club to join in Sept.

6. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I dunno about other clubs, but some clubs that I've dropped into because I was bored offered lowered membership fees for the next year because the season is almost over. So you basically get an additional month or two (depending on the club) + the next season.

7. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

I would go for drop ins, I usally play singles and the person I play doubles with is on holidays or something like that... I want to go play, but dont really got a partner for this spring break :S. I emailed and checked about the one at Shep/Mac, they said that single players are kicked off the courts if there are doubles waiting for the court... so im not too sure if im going to any clubs yet.. mayb until I find a partner b4 spring break or something.

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

drop in and play with the regulars. i'm sure you'll fit right in. the people at the edba clubs are pretty nice, on a general basis.

9. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

As I said before The club thats closest to my house is The Shep/Mac Club thing. One of their rules are doubles player get the court if their waiting for a court, even if there is a singles game going on.

My partner is on a vacation, so I dont really have a partner and I dont really want to drop in with a chance of getting kicked off the courts.

10. HappyPlato

It's true that clubs have higher priority for double over single games. However, what stop you from joining a double game? People play for fun, nobody sticks with a regular partner all the times.

11. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

If you really want to play singles, I would suggest that you play on Saturdays at E-19 at UofA. Supposedly, it's less hectic on a Saturday, than Sunday. Sundays are usually busy for whatever reason at E-19. I'm not to sure about the weekdays and Friday.

You can check the weekly schedule at E-19 at the following link:

http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/campusrec/nav02.cfm?nav02=19578&nav01=19459

As you can see Sat goes from 8 AM - 4 PM and Sun from 9 AM - 4 PM.

Drop in fee is $ 6 but you can buy a 10X pass for $ 50.

So you can stay there all day if you want.

Most people will play doubles, but if there isn't too many people around, then you can play singles.

Anyhow, that's my 2cents.