HI-QUA B-696 String reel

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jif226, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jif226

jif226 Regular Member

Hello, I learn from a discussion posted last year that HI-QUA B-696 String reel was not durable. Just want to know whether anyone is still using the string and whether it really breaks so easily. I would mainly string at about 20 lbs, will the string last at such low tension?

Thanks.

2. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    i use it. for durability, i am not too sure cos i change the strings every 2-3 weeks. but, the string stretches a lot. so, 20lbs is too low. i use 26lbs and sometimes i wish the string doesn't stretch and lose tension too fast.

3. jif226

jif226 Regular Member

Thanks utopia_imminent.
    Most of the peopleI string for are amateur players. I am afraid 26 lbs is too much for them. And as many of them are students, price is a big issue in choosing strings. Hi-qua's price is really very attractive.

4. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I have about 300m left of my original 500m reel that i bought.. i initially used it as practice string when i got my first stringing machine (Laser Fibre MS200TT drop weight). Aside from that I have strung it a few times on the rackets i use MP99 and BK rackets ranging from 22-25 lbs. Compared to the YY BG-65, the string stretches a lot (loses tension quickly). I find the durability fairly good especially if you're only stringing at 20lbs. Besides...at $50 CAD for a 500meter reel that comes out to $1 per racket, which is a pretty sweet deal for the customer. ** If you're buying a reel you should be able to squeeze more that 50 rackets strung if you cut just the right length of string..

I don't use this string at all for myself or any of the ppl i string for since all of them prefer yonex string (BG-65, BG-80, BG85). I've tried to drop hints about other good string like Ashaway MP and PG strings to my club players but a lot of them are reluctant to change. Good luck!

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In North America, I believe the majority of cost is the labor, rather than the string itself. Therefore, if you can order BG65 (know for durability) in bulk, I don't think the students will mind to spend $2 more in their string. :rolleyes:

6. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    well, all i can say is that this is a good string considering that yonex have increased the prices of strings. i used to string bg66 when is costed me about 40 USD for a box of 10. But, now it has increased to somewhere around 50-55 USD. the hi-qua string plays nice but it still depends if people are willing to look over the brand issue or not.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In Asia, the percentage of material cost is much larger of an impact compare to North America. With the labor charge of US$10+ or even 20 range, $2-3 difference in price is a minor factor for many players here.