4 knots pre-stringing technic

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by gavias, Mar 18, 2007.

1. gavias

gavias Regular Member

In a 4 knots pre-stringing, in the crosses, what should be done in terms of the string left for the machine strain and what is the length for the mains and crosses?

#1 gavias, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

2-pieces freestringing:

free string like Dinkalot in his video (which is a one piece) make sure the crosses reach the end. also: put one extra cross at the bottom!.

tension your mains, tie off the short end, and cut bottom cross string (the extra) and tie off the 'long side' mains. you now have all mains tensioned and knotted, and all crosses freestrung. decide where to start for tensioning you crosses..

note: this take a little bit extra string, and some planning/insight...

3. gavias

gavias Regular Member

In a 4 knots stringing where are you going to leave the extra string for the crosses?

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

when you prestring your mains (like a 1piece) you shoudl get quite a big loop, enough for tying off (use pliers so you can use less length) and plenty for starting the crosses.

or, if you've been generous in cutting the length, there's enough up top..

5. gavias

gavias Regular Member

In a 4 knots stringing you will have 2 pieces of string, thats why I am asking about the loop for the crosses.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Do you want to tension the crosses top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top ?

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yes indeed, I know...

it might sound very dangerous, but just trý it...
    -cut 10m of your reel, oruse a pack.
    -freestring it like Dan (though he does a 2pc indeed)
    -but add a cross to the bottum.
    my extra cross wasn't even weaved, and went from hole #8 to #6 (cocked indeed)
    -just continue freestringing upwards till the last cross.
    -now tension the mains. you need two loops for that, one loop end at the 'short side' and one at the 'long side' (were it regularly goes over into the cross)
    -tie off the short side as usual.
    - at the long side make a cut in the bottom (unweaved) main. just cut it through down the middle. use one end to tie off the 'long side' mains.
    -nwo you suddenly have a length of extra string (from the loop you used for tensionign the mains)
    -make a starting knot at grommet #6, make sure you use as less string as you can. (you see, that's why my bottom cross went form #8 to #6, easy for tie offs)
    -you now have a loop at the first bottom cross. tension it bottum to top..the end...

EDIT: or, if you ahve enough length left on top, tie a starting know there and string it top down..

8. gavias

gavias Regular Member

I would like to tension the crosses bottom to top, after tension the mains (top to bottom). The method will be the one shown in the image attached.

Attached Files:

9. Neil Nicholls

Then you don't need to leave any extra string for the crosses.
    If you have pre-strung as 1-piece, the long side of the mains will feed into the bottom cross.
    When you finish tensioning the mains, the loop you had for the long side main will now be a long loop feeding into the bottom cross. Cut this string leaving just enough to tie off the long side main, and what is left is what you tie your cross starting knot with.

10. gavias

gavias Regular Member

Its not a 1-piece stringing, but a 2-piece stringing. So, for the crosses I will have to leave a string portion for the stringing machine. My problem is if I will have enough string for the crosses (10 m string packadge) and if I have it, where should I leave an extra string loop for the stringing machine.

11. Neil Nicholls

yes, we know.
    That doesn't stop you pre-stringing it in 1 piece.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I envy your perseverance;)

Gavias,

just get a racket, and a pack of strings, and try free stringing it 1pc, thén when all the mains are done, read this thread..it should be clear...

13. gavias

gavias Regular Member

But what I want to do is to have the mains and the crosses pre-strung. Like this the store only has to strain the string and do the knots (or I will myself do the knots).

14. Neil Nicholls

What do you want?

You want to do the pre-stringing, and then give it to somebody else to tension it?

15. gavias

gavias Regular Member

Yes, because I had very bad experiences with the stringers. One time I had to wait 2H 30m for a stringing (this was at the Decathlon store, and they jamed the frame). And the last time I had to wait 6 hours, yes 6 hours its not an error. This 6 hours were spent stringing only my racket (this was at Sportzone); I have been watching. They had broken 30 m of string and so on. The problem is that they have extreme difficulty in passing the crosses in the grommets where is already another string. The racket was the AT-500.

#15 gavias, Mar 25, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  16. Neil Nicholls

Ouch.
    Pre-stringing it for them won't help much if the stringer is no good.

We need to find a decent stringer for you...
    Whereabouts in Portugal are you?

17. gavias

gavias Regular Member

I am at Almada, near Lisbon. In this area only the Decathlon and the Sportzone do the stringing job. If I take the racket pre-stringed, because I will whatching the stringing job, I only want that they use the tension for the mains and for the crosses that I will tell them (In the sportzone they have a Pacific 700 digital, and at the Decathlon they have a Babolat sense expert) and that they tension the string, and I will do the knots myself.