Slicing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by goldieandsilvie, Mar 18, 2007.

1. goldieandsilvie

goldieandsilvie Regular Member

I've heard that slicing the shuttlecock in a drop shot will hep it go down faster. Is that true?

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

i'm pretty sure it does since it helps it tumble

3. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    slicing is not a magic trick that makes the shuttle go somewhere with no explanation behind it

push it down a little while slicing sideways will make it go down earlier therefore faster, push it up while slicing sideways will make it fly longer so it depends what kind of slice you are doing

"I've heard that slicing the shuttlecock in a drop shot will hep it go down faster. Is that true?"

generally speaking slicing doesn't make a drop go faster, but it tumbles a lot and it doesn't go where your racket surface is pointing so it takes longer for your opponent to read and react to the shot

4. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

yupp it increases shuttle rotation, making it faster

5. •ºJazº•

•ºJazº• Regular Member

I've been doing this a lot recently, I taught myself, and hadn't seen it used anywhere I've played. I've found it very effective, I can only drop to the left though. The opponent gets kind of confused and just watch it fall. I just kind of push, while brushing the shuttle. :)

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

no, slower actually... (talking about dropshots from the rearcourt)

if you hit a regular dropshot with constant force, hitting it square on. (know as dinking:p) and it just passes the net.

now, using the same force, slice the shuttle. the shuttle won't make the net if you slice extreme enough...

The advantages of slicign however are numerous. The first is offcourse deception.
    But also important is the shot pace. Because the shuttle slows down so fast you can hit it with more pace. That way your opponent will barely know it's a dropshot before it lands over the net;):D

7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Agreed. It will cause the shuttle to slower... however, it will give it an erratic course and also allow you to cause it to fall more closely to the net.

8. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Type of slicing?

What type of slicing are we talking about here, goldieandsilvie?

There a various slices that you can employ at the net. For net drops you can get the shuttle to tumble a bit more , particularly many types of nylon shuttles. You can slice from Back-to-Front (toward the net). If the the racket face is parallel (or nearly parallel) to the floor then the slicing action is often a result of the lunge (or a slight back-to-front motion of the arm). This type of slice can also be done with the racket face open at an angle:

Badminton.TV/content/item/doubles-net-play-technique/106.html

You can also perform a an In-to-Out net spin (or slice). This is often done when the player is coming from the middle or from the other side of the net. An Out-to-In slice is often executed when the player is coming straight into the net.

If we are talking about overhead drops from the backcourt then I would say that a slicing action can make the shuttle spin faster (about its axis) and therefore drop faster. I am referrring to a shot that is similar to a sliced smash but executed in a manner such that the shuttle drops abruptly after crossing the net. A sliced overhead will travel slower than a flat smash but faster than a flat drop.

9. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    overhead slices

Overhead sliced shots can be excuted by cutting across the cork as the shuttle is stroked. A more advanced technique will cut both the cork and the tips of the feathers when slicing. This can be done by angling the racket face to match the side of the incoming shuttle. If performed correctly, this type of slice will fray the tips of the feather slightly with breaking them.

This latter type of sliced drops (or smashes) excuted by a lefty will often spin faster and drop a bit more dramatically. This is possibly due to the way the feathers overlap. A normal lefty slice can grab the feathers more effectively and cause it to spin at a faster rate. Another possible explanation is that a normal lefty spin goes in the same direction as the normal spin of a shuttle (I'm not really sure about this tho').

Note that an 'round-the-head slice executed by a righty is usually executed with the "normal lefty slice". Therefore, a righty executing this stroke can have the same dramatic slicing effect that a lefty has on their straight sliced drop.

10. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I do net shot-slicing. Very effective.

11. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    systemic anomoly pretty much nailed it

slicing makes the drop shot curve/arch down faster thana normal shot does, and that added with the fact the it is not going the direction a normal shot with your racquet facing the way it's 'supposed to' and thereby confusing your opponnent for that extra millisecound makes it an effective shot. Sliced smashes are effective as that one millisecound of anticipation often is the difference between returning or not returnign a fast smash. Net shots will also land closer to the net and farther from the service line with practice.

and then there are netshot slices, which are just plain effective. always try slice a netshot since it will just make it that much harder to return.

12. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

slicing can be useful to play at the net but if your generally trying to make it dificult for the opponent it is better to play a higher yet tighter drop shot.

13. badboy4life

badboy4life Regular Member

tax dodger!
    slicing is brilliant for doin drops from the back of the court!!!

my favourite is now reverse slice....so imagine im on the left corner.. i am a right handed player....n i look directly down the line...but i slice the shuttle perfectly to make it look as if i might be clearing it ....yet it goes to the other side on the tight of da court n drops perfectly!!