NEWS : SwissOpen07 : Chen Jin wins MS title

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by kwun, Mar 18, 2007.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    St. Jakobshalle, Basel txt: Dille Andersen,
    WBSO,Int.Press photo: topbadminton.com

The Men's Singles final was a matter between number 2 seed, Chen Jin,
    CHN, and Simon Santoso, INA, who has made it all the way from the
    Qualification event!
    Chen Jin quickly got a 7-2 lead but Santoso didn't just lie down! He
    fought back and with the sympathy from the captivation ausience, he
    reduced Chen's lead to 13-19. He gave Chen a game point at 13-20 by
    sending the shuttle out! Chen missed the first shot by a net rolling
    shuttle going on his own side! But the gab was too far op for Santoso
    who lost the first game 16-21.

Second game saw Chen Jin being very confident. But Santoso kept playing
    his own game, never giving up hope he could turn the match aroundto his
    own advantage. Hope was fading thoug, as Santoso found himself 1-7 down.
    As the second game progressed it was apparent that the World Junior
    Champion from 2004 Chen Jin, wouldn't let go of this triumph it would be
    for him to win a Super Series event! Chen won convinsingly 21-16, 21-10
    but Santoso have great honour of this match. We will see more of both
    these young players in the future no doubt! Something to look forward to!

Attached Files:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    this proved
    -that LD lost to SS in the first game of the Semifinal was due to injury. From my limited memory, LD had beaten CJ in several occasions. If CJ can man handle SS like that, LD would own SS under normal circumstances.
    -LD played to his best ability even when he is not well, stretching Santoso to 25 points in G1 of Semi.

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Totally agree. Lin Dan should be way above SS. He beat SS so easily just last week.

I also recognized that SS did extremely good this time. Runner up at a super series open should be his best in his life. Correct me if I'm wrong. SS is talented in some areas, but still not good enough to claim a tournament title (4 star and above).

Actually there are just a few have been the winner of the tournaments so far. Since Lin Dan usually took more than half of the total titles away, so the title became more precious for others. From my knowledge, only the following people have won titles before:

1) CHN players: Lin Dan, Chen Hong, Chen Jin, Bao CL, Chen Yu.

2) Others: Peter Gade, Taufik, Lee CW, Hafiz

Not many people belong to this small club.

As I said before, when you just watch one point between LD and SS, you don't know who's better at that point. Either of them could win, but when you want to see who can win the tournament, there will be a huge difference.

4. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper

While I agree with you that Lin Dan was injured but I don't think you can use this indirect comparison to prove that Lin Dan is injured. It may be possible that player A can beat player B and player B can beat player C, it doesn't always mean that player A is better than player C. Player A can play well well against B but always struggle against C.

Good example of this would be like Peter Gade beats Chen Hong and Chen Hong beats Lin Dan. With your logic, Peter Gade is the undisputed champion and would beat Lin Dan as well if they were to play but that's not true. See what I mean?

In our case, Lin Dan is better than both of these players because he can consistently beat these two players. But that logic shouldn't be used to compare players.

#4 virusvoodoo, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i have already stated before in another thread that a capable (uninjured) LD is a level above all others. Therefore, my previous logic can't be faulted as LD has beaten SS convincingly before as stated by 2cents.

I also stated before that all high caliber athletes have some sort of injuries, ie. no top athletes are injury free. It like saying the best fighter has no wounds, scars or cuts. LD injury was likely cumulative from play MO, KO, GO, AE and up t SO until he can't play.

6. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

It's good to see improvements in Simon's game & also Sony's since Hendrawan took over. But I am sure Simon like any other player would love to win over a player who is not injured.
    I note that this is the 1st time LD is injured & retired from a game. He didn't do that in last year's AE & for him to want to try to play on just show his commitment towards every tournament.

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I don't think that really proves anything. Like virusvoodoo said you can't compare players like that. Also the best can't win every time. While it's very likely Lin Dan's performance was affected by his injury you can't be sure. There's no reason Simon Santoso wouldn't be able to do that on a normal day. Anything can happen, you can never be completely certain how a match will turn out. Not to mention that Simon was very obviously nervous and being overly careful with his shots during most of the match. He didn't have the same confidence as Chen Jin (being a Super Series Final and all).

I'm not saying Chen Jin or Lin Dan can't beat Simon Santoso very convincingly on a normal day (I think Simon still has quite a way to go), but I don't think you can use a single match against a different player in completely different circumstances as "proof".

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Wanna say CJ was more well-prepared than Simon so this Chinese behave shuttler looked very confidence to frustrate INA next star. CJ quality really describes he is ready and deserve to become badminton super-star although he's still 21 (similar to Simon's age, he will turn 22 next July).

Outside LD, CJ is another CHN dependable player to grab title and it worked successfully last Sunday. Congratz!

9. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I think CJ has a lot more potential than BCL. I'd put him up there with Lin Dan in a year or two. Remains to be seen though.

10. SImplelenna

SImplelenna Regular Member

Yeez, i'm agree with you,everyyear BCL never have a strong motivation and skill not improved ,well hoping that CJ could be became another Yang Yang the legend ....CJ Calm, never easy to lose go..go

11. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

haha how about chen yu and susilo who was trashed by SS?... Chen yu has beaten CJ a month ago, isn't it logical that SS also beat CJ?.. c'mon, badminton is badminton... it is very unpredictable... it is like dicky palyama who beat peter gade.. and in the next round, dicky was beaten by sato, i think.. does it mean that sato will also beat gade??.. befor CJ beat SS, SS TRASHED all his opponents thus far... for more infos and stats...

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/player.aspx?id=13635&player=37

now, tell me that susilo, chen yu and WCH are small fry.. and that beating them in three straight days is easy..:D

*i love underdogs who finally reveal their true skill.. well, almost:D*