User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trang
    As far as Twobeers post - I disagree with your idea of seperating the disciplines. Sure MS and WS are two different ways of playing, but I think that if you promote the MS more than the others; it will all come down to that there will be a lack of interest for those disciplines who aren't as promoted as MS.
    I think each discipline can be promoted moew sucessfully if done separately than included in an all-in-one package. For example I think XD could be very succesfully marketed in UK etc.

My point is that its very hard to promote essentially five tournaments (today we run 5 parallell tournaments per event, MS,MD,XD,WS,WD) and I think it is currently unrealistic to expect to get enough airtime to present all five in a good way.

Today we cannot really expect a big sports channel to air between 9 AM to 12 PM covering most matches of a tournament.. so it gets chopped and hard to uninitiated viewers to follow.

It will of course be different wehn badminton is huge on TV.. with its own "badminton Channel" on cable etc :-D

I do understand that a package with five consecutive disciplines can be hard to handle, but I would rather have an optionel of turning off the TV if I'm too tired of watching badminton (maybe an issue of having breaks between matches?) , than not having the optionel to watch the matches at all.
    Yes, me too.. But the problem today is really that NONE of the matches are shown live on TV at all in most countries!! This problem is that to little badminton is aired, imop..And I would think focus on selling the most "sellable" parts first.. and then if that is succesfull, expand...

The goal would be to get some good coverage on some events and then grow, when tv-ratings allows for more air-time.

For example a danish channel only showed some highlights of the MX until it had time to show the last couple of points of the last set, because the schedule was cut down to about 15 min. because of Paris-Nice biking-race. I was mad because I couldn't see the other disciplines ! But sure, it's a matter of priorities but I don't think that cutting it the way so you only promote one or two discplines.
    Maybe you could make a package where you divide it - one week these disciplines another these disciplines. So that they all get the same airing time.
    Yes, that idea could be a "step" to divide the events into "blocks" during a tournament..

My thinking about separation is really not because I dislike WD or WS.. It is because I don't think we can go from 0 to 100 in one day.. maybe we need to go to 20, then to 40 and so on...to eventually reach the goal of badminton being bigger than Tennis on TV :-)

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20
    Separate Mens and womens tours works for tennis. But badminton is completely different in its set up. The national teams are set up as one, and travel as one. It would disadvantage the smaller nations, who have the same coaches for multiple disciplines. This is the opposite to the aim of BWF at the moment.
    Yes. But I am not totally convinced that the "team"-thing is all that good for the individual events (there are other posts about that :-) ) .I think "individualising" the singles, would have more positive than negative effects..

Special tournaments could and should be held for team-competitions! I don't think Individual events should be about national-team...

I think team-focused events like Thomas-, über- and surdiman- cup is the way to go for team-competitions...

I would like the individual events to be highly individual, and the team events to be all about the team, and team-spirit!!

Cheers,
    Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah... i dun think separating the womens n mens event is a good idea...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer

It will of course be different wehn badminton is huge on TV.. with its own "badminton Channel" on cable etc :-D

Yes, me too.. But the problem today is really that NONE of the matches are shown live on TV at all in most countries!! This problem is that to little badminton is aired, imop..And I would think focus on selling the most "sellable" parts first.. and then if that is succesfull, expand...

The goal would be to get some good coverage on some events and then grow, when tv-ratings allows for more air-time.

/Twobeer
    WoW, it will be great for 'Badminton TV-channel' idea similar to F1,NBA and absolutely football! Maybe BWF must sign contract w/ popular sport-channel like ESPN, STAR or Astro?! But the question is how to get top-rating from this sport? Marketers hard-task!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer
    I don't think Individual events should be about national-team...
    I agree, but their isn't the money in badminton for individual players to set up as "individuals" even if their was a separate tour the Men/women would still travel with their national team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If not mistaken..

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY
    WoW, it will be great for 'Badminton TV-channel' idea similar to F1,NBA and absolutely football! Maybe BWF must sign contract w/ popular sport-channel like ESPN, STAR or Astro?! But the question is how to get top-rating from this sport? Marketers hard-task!
    ..the 2005 World Championships in U.S. had ESPN/ESPN2 and its sister company, Starsports, broadcast the event outside of the U.S..Even after all the hooplas of the WC ended, ESPN2 broadcasted some replays of the WC, for a few days, a few months later.. ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    ..hiya there...is this the Bobby Milroy originally from the Canadian team??..If so, glad to meet you..

As for my suggestion, well, personally i only have 1. That is for the BWF to provide free live webcast for all their tourneys, at least the SS, available to people/badminton fans all over the world. I know it could be costly, but if nothing else change, we fans(at least myself), WILL DEFINITELY 100% appreciate that provision...I think badminton fans here would definitely agree with that idea..thanks again!!
    i agree that free live video streaming is provided just like in swiss open. i was actually amazed that they provide for every courts since day 1. this is good as normally we cant get to watch players other than fr quarter finals onwards. i am sure some of us would also like to watch other players who are seldom shown on tv as they are not so famous but still they have fans.
    live streaming on every court gives every players a chance to be shown on tv or webcast

i also agree that qualifying rounds is divided into 2 days like swiss open also.hehe.
    3 matches in 1 day is too hectic.
    more activities involving fans are also great as many badminton fans would want to have a chance to meet or play with the players and sure will attract them to go watch the match.

replays of tournaments are also good especially when there is no tourneys going on.
    this will keep the interest of badminton fans up all year round and not only during live tourneys
    Last edited by cheeyf; 03-21-2007 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prolly just me, but I always find the little ritual where the players have to shift all their gear from one side of the net to the other between games a bit embarrassing and, frankly, unprofessional. Doesn't happen in tennis where the games take much longer and where there are "official" breaks in play after every two games. Can't we find a better way of doing this?

Every year at the AE I wince in embarrassment at the court moppers - totally inadequate. This needs to be done in a thoroughly professional manner, like in the Swiss Open last week.

Live web streaming - great! I'd be quite happy to pay €10 for an evenings live badminton - pity this service was withdrawn from the recent Swiss Open.

OK - I'm done now!

Smautf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wednesday March 10, 2010
    Oldies Peter-Gade and Taufik lament about the ills in badminton
    SHUTTLERS Peter-Gade Christensen and Taufik Hidayat may feel that they are as old as the All-England badminton tournament, which is celebrating its centenary this year.

After all, the Dane and Indonesian have been playing in the tournament for more than a decade. And the two old hands have no qualms about speaking their minds in the hope of bringing changes to the sport.

Christensen, the 1999 All-England champion, wants the World Badminton Federation (BWF) to take a more professional approach to make the sport a lucrative one for the players.

Christensen feels that, apart from the All-England, it’s time for the BWF to up the stakes in Open tournaments.

“I was all game when the Super Series was introduced in 2007. Three years have gone by and the players are still taking home the same amount in prize money. In fact, I have been playing for the last 15 years and nothing much has changed for the players,” said Christensen.

“Except for the All-England, which is professionally run, the players are faced with the same problems pertaining to practice time, warm-up court and transportation.

“I have fully supported the Super Series Mas*ters Finals. Now, they want to introduce the new tier of four major tournaments. I hope that the welfare of the players will be given priority.”

Meanwhile Taufik, the 1999 and 2000 All-England runner-up, has a bone to pick with the youngsters, saying he has given up hope of them taking over from the seniors for now.

“Probably, these new faces will only emerge when Peter, Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan and I leave the scene one day. This should not be the way,” said Taufik. “They should be driven to beat players like us, who have been there for a long time.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2