Suggestions for the BWF

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by bobbymilroy, Mar 18, 2007.

1. bobbymilroy

bobbymilroy New Member

Hello, Bobby Milroy, Players President here.

I am trying to collect some information regarding what is truly important to badminton fans.

I have begun a thread on the BPF forum which I will be showing to Council at our next meeting.

If you have any constructive suggestion about what you would like dome at events, please make a post and it will be seen by the poeple that make it happen.

You can find the forum on www.badmintonsite.com under "General Discussions"

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Bobby Milroy

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hello there..^^

..hiya there...is this the Bobby Milroy originally from the Canadian team??..If so, glad to meet you..:) :cool:

As for my suggestion, well, personally i only have 1. That is for the BWF to provide free live webcast for all their tourneys, at least the SS, available to people/badminton fans all over the world. I know it could be costly, but if nothing else change, we fans(at least myself), WILL DEFINITELY 100% appreciate that provision...I think badminton fans here would definitely agree with that idea..thanks again!!:) :cool: [​IMG]

#2 ctjcad, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hi bobby, welcome to badmintoncentral/forum. I have one idea.

During each day of a certain BWF recognized tournament, have a draw of ticket holders, maybe 3 to 6 fans from the audience, to have a fun sparring on the main courts with some of the pros. Maybe follow up the group photo session on the court. This would bring in more crowds during the days of between qualifying rounds and the quarterfinal. These lucky fans would have a forgetable day of the event by able to spar a few points with some pros. If other kids see this on TV, they will beg their parents attend future live events. This will only bring in more fans to the events. The snowball effect can not be under estimated. With players interacting with the fans, their worth in potential sponsorship would no doubt goes up as maybe now consumer products companies would be interested, not just some invisible telecommunication companies before. I can assure u that audience from the events and watching TV would dig this type of promo. Everybody wins here, BWF wins as more people would attend the events and maybe bring in new sponsorship from other sectors; players win from more exposure to the media and potential sponsors; the fans win because they get to see or experience how themself compared to the pros.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I certainly hope not :D :D

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    oops, typo alert !!
    i mean unforgetable :)

6. event

event Regular Member

I'm just curious. Are you guys posting the suggestions both here and on the BPF forum he mentioned? The way I read the post, he's looking for the suggestions to be posted there rather than here. Double posting here isn't a bad idea, either, mind you.

7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    That's a GREAT idea, cooler!

8. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    great ideas man !!!:D:D:D:D two thumbs up.....

9. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

My wish is, do not play all qualifying matches in one day. Some qualifiers cannot take the strain. Secondly, have more live streaming during matches. Good for badminton publicity. Thank you.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I suggested the following on the BPF site:

Suggestions:

1) Better camera-angles for TV-production TV-coverage.. The current presentation format is to close to tennis static top/down view.. This is good for tennis which is more 2-dimensional, but not for badminton which is faster and more 3-dimensional.. Much more cameras and angles, and cuts between cameras are needed to present the game better!

2) Package the events into different disciplines for TV.. so even if an event consists of MS,MD,XD,WD,WS TV-rights could be sold only for a special discipline of the event. Trying to sell market 5 games at once is simply to much... Each "flavor" of badminton needs to be marketed to new audiences separately.. WD and MS are simply to different to be "bunched" together!!
    To grow the interest we have to sell the games separately.. Trying to market all five (quite different forms of the game) disciplines at once is probably not a successful way of doing it... Best is to start focus promotion efforts on one event (probably MS) and go from there...Or form separate bodies for the different disciplines, to come up with their own marketing strategies..

3) More use of single courts..
    Its bad for the fans with play at 4-5 courts simultaneously... This takes away the interest of the earlier round in a tournament.. Also playing at many courts at once limits use of entertainment and music etc to heighten the experience in breaks..
    The display format of lets say Copenhagen Masters is much more appealing to fans than the format of the std BWF tournaments.

4) Implement more interval-entertainment on events.. fans-participation.. hardest-smash competitions. trick-shot exhibitions etc etc.

5) In the long run.. separating ms and md out as separate tours would probably be the best thing for the sport. However if this is seen as a too radical step in short term, my suggestion would be to separate them within the scheduling of an BWF tournament..
    My suggestion would be to run MD and MS on a single court (they are probably the most popular events), and WS,WD and XD on 2-3 courts. Maybe also have separate days for the different disciplines for rounds before finals, to get better focus.

6) Try to get slightly longer matches.. most fans still thinks the old 15-0 scoring was more exciting than the 21-point rally system which seems to be producing to short games. (The Rally point system has some good sides and gets very exciting when extension of sets occurs).. A very good scoring system would probably be 5x15 Rally scoring (max score 20-19).. This would allow more intervals for ads, and breaks, and be slightly tougher for players, and slightly longer and more exciting for fans.

/Twobeer

11. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Good points!! Appreciate if BPF can seriously listen to the suggestions above. :cool:

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Abt the live coverage packages..

...whether thru TV or live webcast, i'm also in the same thinking as twobeer..
    Also, on the same threshold of financing, i mentioned the idea of a free live webcast on all SS tourneys; since it'll probably be costly, how abt if BWF can broadcast just the "major" events such as the Olympics, World Championships, Sudirman Cup, Thomas & Uber Cups or their yr end Grand Prix Finale *for free* to the public...But they can then sell/market the other SS tourneys as a Pay-per-view packages...:cool:

#12 ctjcad, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I concur with this request. I think there will be a conflict of interest with the TV companies who have paid to broadcast the coverage though.

A good comprimise would be to have Live streaming of the non-tv court, and then coverage of the TV court once live airing finished. There doesn't have to be any commentary (save ££). Just a camera pointing at the courts, like the swiss open just recently.

The cost I don't think will be too much. If the swiss open can do it (and the quality was reasonable) then why not? It may even pay for itself with sponsorship, as even the non-tv courts would get exposure outside of the fans inside the stadium.

Another Idea on the same lines would be a WBF channel, which showed coverage on Digital television where no company hads bought the rights to it. Eg. Digital TV in England is only showing badminton for AE, OG, WC, sometimes TC/UC so every other tournament could be shown on WBF channel throughout the year.

Most ENG fans only see badminton on TV once a year on All England. I bet if I asked 98% of the people in my club what is the Surdiman cup, thomas cup or Uber cup or even name a English player (never mind foreign players) except Nathan Robertson or Gail emms, they wouldn't be able to) NB. the other 2% is my wife! A WBF channel showing badminton would help exposure a lot. (and motivate players to play at a higher level, since most have not seen top level badminton played).

When tournaments are not on repaeats could be shown of older tournaments too.

There is probably some kind of rights issues here we don't know about though.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

True...

..the Swiss Open's free live streaming is a wonderful idea..But then, not many of us could watch it, as the bandwidth wouldn't allow a lot of people to access and watch their streaming feeds...IMO, if BWF invest their resources in exposing the game, either thru tv or /web-based live coverages, i think it'll be beneficial to all: BWF get some extra revenues as well as exposures, broadcast entities get some revenues and of course, all of us fans worldwide will get the ULTIMATE benefit of watching some great badminton talents...;) :D :cool:

#14 ctjcad, Mar 19, 2007
  15. Trang

Trang Regular Member

As far as Twobeers post - I disagree with your idea of seperating the disciplines. Sure MS and WS are two different ways of playing, but I think that if you promote the MS more than the others; it will all come down to that there will be a lack of interest for those disciplines who aren't as promoted as MS.
    I do understand that a package with five consecutive disciplines can be hard to handle, but I would rather have an optionel of turning off the TV if I'm too tired of watching badminton (maybe an issue of having breaks between matches?) , than not having the optionel to watch the matches at all.
    For example a danish channel only showed some highlights of the MX until it had time to show the last couple of points of the last set, because the schedule was cut down to about 15 min. because of Paris-Nice biking-race. I was mad because I couldn't see the other disciplines ! But sure, it's a matter of priorities but I don't think that cutting it the way so you only promote one or two discplines.
    Maybe you could make a package where you divide it - one week these disciplines another these disciplines. So that they all get the same airing time.

16. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I also disagree with separating the disciplines, twobeers, as not only will be it be detrimental for the players but you'll have feminist and equality groups breathing down your neck!

Everything else I wholeheartedly support. Great ideas! ESPECIALLY the five set thing.

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would be interested to know how many people were able to watch each court at one time at swiss open. I would imagine not many, as when most of the matches were on it seemed difficult to get on for some people.

I know nothing about computers, so I don't know how much bandwidth each user needs, I also don't know how many people would watch it, or how much the bandwidth costs. Anybody like to throw some figures in?

Separate Mens and womens tours works for tennis. But badminton is completely different in its set up. The national teams are set up as one, and travel as one. It would disadvantage the smaller nations, who have the same coaches for multiple disciplines. This is the opposite to the aim of BWF at the moment.

#17 jamesd20, Mar 19, 2007
  18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think each discipline can be promoted moew sucessfully if done separately than included in an all-in-one package. For example I think XD could be very succesfully marketed in UK etc.

My point is that its very hard to promote essentially five tournaments (today we run 5 parallell tournaments per event, MS,MD,XD,WS,WD) and I think it is currently unrealistic to expect to get enough airtime to present all five in a good way.

Today we cannot really expect a big sports channel to air between 9 AM to 12 PM covering most matches of a tournament.. so it gets chopped and hard to uninitiated viewers to follow.

It will of course be different wehn badminton is huge on TV.. with its own "badminton Channel" on cable etc :-D

Yes, me too.. But the problem today is really that NONE of the matches are shown live on TV at all in most countries!! This problem is that to little badminton is aired, imop..And I would think focus on selling the most "sellable" parts first.. and then if that is succesfull, expand...

The goal would be to get some good coverage on some events and then grow, when tv-ratings allows for more air-time.

Yes, that idea could be a "step" to divide the events into "blocks" during a tournament..

My thinking about separation is really not because I dislike WD or WS.. It is because I don't think we can go from 0 to 100 in one day.. maybe we need to go to 20, then to 40 and so on...to eventually reach the goal of badminton being bigger than Tennis on TV :)

/Twobeer

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes. But I am not totally convinced that the "team"-thing is all that good for the individual events (there are other posts about that :) ) .I think "individualising" the singles, would have more positive than negative effects..

Special tournaments could and should be held for team-competitions! I don't think Individual events should be about national-team...

I think team-focused events like Thomas-, über- and surdiman- cup is the way to go for team-competitions...

I would like the individual events to be highly individual, and the team events to be all about the team, and team-spirit!!

Cheers,
    Twobeer

20. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    nah... i dun think separating the womens n mens event is a good idea...