User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz
    hahaha, maybe it's age catching up with him........ that's the sort of mental strength required at the highest level of sport, no matter what sport you play ...
    No doubt, being 10 years older than your opponents in any sports have advantages and disadvatages. In Tony's case, it would speed and stamina are his disadvantages.

In the case of the unforced errors he made in SO SF, I think, it was simply normal human mistakes... you can't win it all at all times... he realized it, that's the most important thing, he would make corrections and be back in form again the next tournament.

I concur with you that Tony is one of the most highly regarded professional player in the recent history of badminton. He is cool! Go Tony!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaCkô
    Tony does not practice with Candra often. They meet only during tournaments. They can be considered as very very good since they managed to get into semifinals consistently despite lack of training with each other.
    One cannot 'wing it' these days with such top players like the Malaysians and Koreans. Practise is a must and if Gunawan and Candra don't have the time to do that, they might as well as give up the game or continue to play second fiddle to KKK-TBH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya i agree that TG is a true cham.
    wow i didnt know that they seldom practise.
    that is a good achievement considering that they dont train full time together.
    it will be great if he and CW can practise more often
    will make md more interesting
    i really respect them as they are good players with humble and nice personalities(hard to find people like that i think)
    hope they can be back with improvements
    i think they are one of the best pair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Tony's wife, they flew in together from different countries to participate in a tournament, that means they never practise together, it's all about the previous understanding that they've.

Amazing, isn't it? ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they're legends indeed.
    It's also worth mentioning that even Tony's wife is so humble, hats off to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow that's really amazing
    didnt practise together and can enter at least semis
    cool
    imagine what will happen if they practise together full time.
    will be exciting.
    hope to see that happen.
    good to hear that Tony's wife is also humble.
    by the way, how do u know that little_bird?
    u met his wife before?
    if i am not mistaken his wife came for MO rite?
    i saw a lady sitting beside him but not sure who is she.
    to me a real champion is not only a good player on court but also is nice and humble off court.
    and that's why i say they are true champions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

huhu,both go bald? yeay! i like dat idea..ehhehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And one more thing.. these 2 guys doesnt have Coaches to coach them during the tournament. They just go at it is. However hats off to both of them. True sportman and the the game at it is.. no coach! And they still do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheeyf
    didnt practise together and can enter at least semis
    cool
    Tony is in US most the time and Chandra is in INA, so they practice separately. In terms of being in tournament, shall we say they're self-coached in most tournaments?! However, at least in one tournament I saw in video that they were coached by someone who spoke Indonesian at MO final against KKK/TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeyf
    if i am not mistaken his wife came for MO rite?
    Eti (Tantra) Gunawan is his wife and yes she was with Tony at MO after a short return to INA for their long-over-due wedding reception with their family back in December 2006.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup agreed, i do remember in the AE that the indonesian doubles coach was having a word with tony and candra during the intervals. maybe he's just giving his observations on the day, and not really 'coaching' them before the tournaments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    One cannot 'wing it' these days with such top players like the Malaysians and Koreans. Practise is a must and if Gunawan and Candra don't have the time to do that, they might as well as give up the game or continue to play second fiddle to KKK-TBH.

While I am happy that MAS has at least a MD to cheer about and to provide some challenge to CHN to make this game more exciting. TG/CW are legend in badminton, esp TG to win with different partners, therefore to say they play second fiddle to KK-TBH, well that is too harsh and disrespectful, after all if I am no mistaken, the game went 3-set. Sometimes when you are winning, let's be humble and not arrogant...the tide could change, what if KKK-TBH does not wint WC or OG, are MAS supporters jump off the band-wagon and bash them. Also remember when KKK-TBH play for the first time this year, how many people criticize Rexy for what a stupid move to disband KKK-CCM partnership? Humble is a virtue and keeps us more down to earth....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, let's see now. Without much practice and minimal (if any) coaching, for the last 6 months, Tony/Candra has:-

1. Won Japan Open
    2. Made MAS Open SS final
    3. Made KOR Open SS semis
    4. Made AE SS semis (tough luck, lost a very close encounter - literally on a broken string to give match point)
    5. Made Swiss Open SS semis (where Tony had just 1 "bad game")

That is great performance by any standard ...... wish they could play in WC and Olympics (even if Tony has to play for Indonesia). Other than Koo/Tan and Eriksen/Lundgaard, I don't see any other pair with such consistency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will always regard Tony Gunawan a Badminton legend. He has made his mark and has proven he was and is. Look at his achievements so far. He was fantastic no matter who he plays with... Best thing is, having a legend without an air. I guess, that contributes to his success. I wish to see him play in WC, however he MIGHT NOT? Can someone clarify?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because he is playing for USA and Candra for INA. WC and Olympic rules don't allow mix and match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie
    While I am happy that MAS has at least a MD to cheer about and to provide some challenge to CHN to make this game more exciting. TG/CW are legend in badminton, esp TG to win with different partners, therefore to say they play second fiddle to KK-TBH, well that is too harsh and disrespectful, after all if I am no mistaken, the game went 3-set. Sometimes when you are winning, let's be humble and not arrogant...the tide could change, what if KKK-TBH does not wint WC or OG, are MAS supporters jump off the band-wagon and bash them. Also remember when KKK-TBH play for the first time this year, how many people criticize Rexy for what a stupid move to disband KKK-CCM partnership? Humble is a virtue and keeps us more down to earth....
    If you word it like above, I seem guilty of disrespect. But if you read the context of my reply to an earlier message, it was referring to the fact that TG/CW were not practising and only coming together on tournament day and I said that would not win them tournaments and they would end up playing 2nd fiddle to KKK-TBH.

What I alluded to was if they do not practise (and just roll up for tournaments) they might as well hang up their boots --- they will not beat KKK-TBH who practice like there is no tomorrow. Hope you now understand what was said. I have the greatest respect for TG/CW.
    Last edited by X Ball; 03-26-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    If you word it like above, I seem guilty of disrespect. But if you read the context of my reply to an earlier message, it was referring to the fact that TG/CW were not practising and only coming together on tournament day and I said that would not win them tournaments and they would end up playing 2nd fiddle to KKK-TBH.

What I alluded to was if they do not practise (and just roll up for tournaments) they might as well hang up their boots --- they will not beat KKK-TBH who practice like there is no tomorrow. Hope you now understand what was said.
    Make sense. Sadden by the fact that TG/CW will not be playing. Aren't there other arrangements, like bend some rules or stg? Or is Tony arranging to play for Indonesia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimduo_81
    Make sense. Sadden by the fact that TG/CW will not be playing. Aren't there other arrangements, like bend some rules or stg? Or is Tony arranging to play for Indonesia?
    I think it is good for TG/CW to sit out for a while, and maybe practise (nobody will bend the rules for them unfortunately).

The other thing which might annoy Indonesians if I say it here is : "what is the possibility of Wijaya becoming a US citizen like TG" ? If is unlikely TG would return to Indonesia. DON'T attack me on the statement, it is only a little supposition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast