Tell tension from sound? (Please help)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Foreverlove, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Foreverlove

Foreverlove Regular Member

I know it's hard to tell the string tension once racket is strung, but at least we can tell which one has higher tension from the sound of strings of two rackets, can't we. I guess so.I heard that you can hear metallic "ting" sound when you smash with racket with higher tension, for example 25Ibs.

how about knock the sweet field with another racket frame, can we say the racket with higher tune, metallic "ting" sound has higher tension (same kind of string).

The reason I ask such a stupid question is, I just have my string changed to 25Ibs from manufacture's string, it's really confuse me that the changed one sounds very dull when I knock it using another racket, on the contrary, the one with original string (tension is probably 20Ibs or lower) sounds more crystal and metallic.

also the changed string seems easy to move and don't come back to where it should be.
    I really doubt the ability of the stringer now. what do you guys think? give me some advice please!!Thanks

2. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    It could be the stringer or the way the racket's strung. But, are you really generating enough power with the higher tension, since you went from 20-25. I would say there's a certain difference.

3. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Losing tension is normal.

4. Foreverlove

days ago, tried 24Ibs racket, and felt great. Consider the factor of lossing tension, I asked for 25Ibs. now, I don't think this one is 25Ibs at all

5. Foreverlove

would you please explain more or

read carefully first.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

What string have you just had put in?
    What sort of stringer did you use (sports shop, racquet sports shop, home stringer, tennis club stringer) ?

7. Foreverlove

the stringer is a squash club stringer, it was BG 63, and the changed string is again bg63, which I don't like, but have no choice since he got bg63 only.

8. Neil Nicholls

Higher tension should produce a higher pitched sound if you are comparing the same type of string.

BG63 is a thicker string so it doesn't produce such a high-pitched ting as thinner strings. But at 25lb I wouldn't expect it to move around much.

What are the racquets that you have it in?

9. Foreverlove

Stung Yonex AT150 with BG63 at 25Ibs, and I was comparing it with ISO 53 with BG63 20Ibs probably.

Fact is, the latter has high-pitched ting.

the AT one is just dull, barely can hear a sound. dissapoint me, it costed me 13 pounds

10. Neil Nicholls

Where did you get it from?

11. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    Bg80

BG63 not good. Get yourself BG80 at 25lbs then you will hear the ting. I have a funny feeling about your stringer too.:cool: Look at Dinker Dan's string chart very helpful.:D

12. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I just bought a new AT500 from Central sports and when I ordered it I got them to removed the factory strings and re-string it to 25lbs with BG65. :)

It plays much better (for me anyway) and the sound is a much higher pitch and a more metalic sounds like you describe. It sounds to me like the stringer has done a poor job, and hasn't strung it right, or has put on the wrong tension.

Maybe you need to find a better stringer! :p

What part of the UK are you from?

13. Foreverlove

Thanks guys,
    I just used my friend's racket with string tension 23Ibs, and it's much tenser than my "25Ibs" one, funny!!
    it's so easy to see the difference and mine is obviously much much lower than even 23 Ibs...:mad:

My friend's racket is quite hard to move the string, not like mine....

I am in Leeds, but I bought the AT150 racket from a racket shop in Sheffield. Turned out the price I paid was a little bit higher than the price from Central sports, it's only 35 pounds online, but I spent 40 pounds.

I just got some information of local stringer, hopefully I will get the racket re-strung by a better stringer.

Anyway, I got conclusion, which is, normally, the one with high pitched "ting" sound has higher tension. :rolleyes:

Poor me spend 25 pounds to buy this experience (I strung 2 rackets together).

#13 Foreverlove, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  14. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

that sucks to hear. least you learned something right? reminds me of myself when i got my cab strung at this place i THOUGHT knew how to string badminton rackets. man was i wrong! i know my wrist strength was a lot weaker and all few months ago, but mann the tension was horrible. i tried to get used to it, but what a waste of time.

i cut the string and went to a reputable string that i knew for a fact knew what he was doing. so i spent twice the money for the same string, that i could've spent once.

15. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Good luck getting it re-strung. Hopefully that will do the trick. :)

A good stringer is hard to find, I know quite a few people who have had problems. :eek:

Next time you buy a racquet I would recommend you get it from central sports and get them to re-string it for you before they deliver it. They did a real pukka job on mine! :D

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) BG63 is a thicker string like Neil said and it will have lower pitch due to the higher string mass.
    2) different stringing machine from different stringer will produce different tension.
    3) Count the cross strings. Are there 23 cross strings after? If so, more cross will cause lower tone.
    4) the 2 racquets you compare with have different head size. Smaller head size racquet will have higher tone at the same tension (or slightly less)

My suggestion is to find a good stringer and stick with him/her. Try not to go to big sporting good store (unless they specialized in Badminton) because you don't know who is stringing for you from 1 day to another.