double hit

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by calvin91, Mar 19, 2007.

1. calvin91

calvin91 Regular Member

fghgh
    from the many times ive play badminton, ive had a few incidents where i double hit

the first instant is when i hit, i initially do not get enough power to hit the bird, but i still hit it, then it goes really weak and slow, while my racket trailing like 1 millimeter behind it going faster than the birdy , i can feel and hear my racket it hit it once again... but cannot see it... im pretty certian tahts double hit, correct??

and then other times, i do not feel the birdy hitting, once it makes contact wih t my racket, it seems as if it doesnt bouce, it just stays in contact with the racket and gets carried away by it then when i finally swing the racket into another angel(ex. the motion at the end of a shot) THEN does the birdy leave my racket, so is this legal?? you can relate it to lacrosse

2. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Hmmm..can you take a picture of your racquet. It's either technique or a super crappy racquet with super low tension. Yes I have one at home=bought it at superstore lol.

3. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    ive done that before
    its illegal, but if your opponent doesnt notice then keep playing. unless you are uber nice guy. then just say you double touched it and they win the rally
    if they notice, and you know you did it, theyre right. its illegal

4. calvin91

calvin91 Regular Member

fghgh
    yeah, im curious cause sometimes its really loud

im using isometric 63... got it at sportchek, not all that great..

5. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Work on your technique and timing. I don't know but you could try to restring. Factory strings aren't great.

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I believe that the only double hit that is legal is one where you contact both the stringbed and the frame with a single stroke.

However, I didn't think that the first type of dbl hit that you describe was even possible with a singel stroke. If it happens the way you descibed then it's a fault according to Law 13.3.8

(It shall be a ‘fault’ if in play, the shuttle) is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’;

Your second type of hit is a carry (or sling) and is considered a fault according to Law 13.3.7

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    no i think thats illegal too

8. calvin91

calvin91 Regular Member

fghgh
    what about the sections of the racket you hit with??

frame
    shaft
    handle, right above you hand
    and your hand holding the racket...

are any of illegal?

9. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

No it is not. Read law 13.3.8:

"It is a fault if the shuttle

13.3.8 is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’; "

10. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    t3tsubo, guess you didnt read my previous post carefully. The stuff in itallics is Law 13.3.8 and explicitly states that frame-string dbl hits are ok.

All of these should be legal except for the shuttle hitting your hand or any part of your body (including hair) or clothing for that matter.

11. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    sorry my bad.
    as for hitting the shaft, isnt that a netshot-trickshot? ive done it before when i was just playing around

12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    i thought the netshot trick was the grip. I think shaft is too thin to accurately hit and lift the bird.

Also, the two hit thing. I think its legal so long as it is in one smooth stroke.

13. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Rules have relaxed over the years. We used to call what you describe here as a "carry" or "sling"—where the bird stays on the racquet and is sent in a different direction than it is supposed to go.

I think it is only considered a double hit if the bird comes in contact with the racquet after it has left the racquet following the initial contact. It's normal for the shuttle head and feathers to contact the racquet at different instants, but some part of the shuttle remains in contact with the racquet throughout the sequence. A true "double hit" by the same player on one stroke would be rare.

14. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Don't believe that rules on carries (slings) have changed recently, it's more likely that we just ignore it much of the time when it happens since it is done mostly by less-skilled players. I'll call it on myself on those rare occasions when it happens. I'll usually only call it on another player when it is really blatant and it results in an unearned point at a crtical part of a game.

According to Law 13.3.7

(It shall be a ‘fault’ if the shuttle) is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;

15. Californian

The wording of the law you quoted reads to me as if it was writtten to keep people from intentionally catching and slinging the shuttle, which, if there were no rules about it, might actually happen.

I thought it changed because we used to call "carry," "sling," or "throw" whenever something like this happened. Then I took a break from the game for a few years. When I came back and called this, somebody said "That's legal now." I think only the extreme cases get called now.

16. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    It's definately illegal but if my opponent does it against me I always let it go. I must clarify I don't play tournaments only amongst friends.

17. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

No, it has not changed in that respect at all. Whether you call them slings, carries or throws, they are - and were - illegal. The word "accidentally" does not appear in the laws with regard to carries, and did not. Only accidental, one stroke, double hits were allowed.

18. Californian

OK, thanks for the clarification. In social play, it's one of those things that most of us will let pass unless it is extreme.

At the international competative level, is that something the umpire will rule on? I've never seen an example at that level. Unlike a service fault, where the rules are well-defined and violations somewhat easy to spot, it seems like this would depend solely on personal judgement.