User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
    hkgolden shows that 32gb class 6 sdhc costs about hk$539 = us$70. us$40 right now sounds too good to be true.
    Isn't there a Class 10 SDHC Card that made by Sandisk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    720p sends full images 2x faster than 1080
    720p=60 full frames/images per second
    1080=half of that
    but
    for non-action images, picture quality is much better with 1080..
    it depends what format your broadcaster is using. 720 lines is always progressive - there's no 720 interlaced format. 720p can be 24/25/30/50/60 frames per second. the smoother appearance is due to 50/60fps (pal/ntsc). you can see the same effect with 576i x 50 fields per second tv material compared to 576p x 25 frames per second.

1080 lines can be interlaced or progressive. 50/60fps must be interlaced - 50/60 progressive is not within hdtv specs. 1080p allows 24/25/30fps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Well..^^

..let's hope our limsy is not confused by your explanation......limsy??..
    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    thanks for every kind soul
    limsy, i've another idea. perhaps this is a "slightly cheaper" route.
    How about, instead of getting a brand spanking new HD camcorder, how about if you get a P&S digital camera which comes with HD recording option.
    Let's take this camera, for example, the Sony SX20 IS. Last checked, cost is around $360 (RM 1,203). Plus you add (2) 32 GB SD card which cost around $160 (RM 535).
    You add them up, and you'll only spend abt $520 (RM1835) + you get 4 extra GB of storage.
    Now, compare w/a brand new decent HD camcorder, with a 60 GB HDD, which will probably cost, at least, $600 (RM 2005).
    Another advantage of owning a P&S camera is you'll get to shoot pictures with it (at least better than a camcorder). Also, you''ll get better zoom with that P&S camera. A camcorder, esp. an HD one, doesn't have enough zoom power.

Here, several video samples from youtube of the Canon SX20 IS HD recording (check out the clarity):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guGjuUeBTMY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfu_pfj3zUU&NR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2gcqstyQLI (night/low light recording)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdaKwHrhfMo (night/low light recording)
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-15-2010 at 02:19 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i already have a semi pro camera
    and i already go and see the price
    it is affordable if i want to buy
    but surely not now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat View Post
    Isn't there a Class 10 SDHC Card that made by Sandisk?
    sandisk, panasonic, transcend, kingmax all make class 10 sdhc. not sure about other companies. toshiba just showed off a 64gb sdxc.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I think SDHC cards are very cheap in Hong Kong. You can get a class 6, 32 GB SDHC card for about US$40. They will become even cheaper in a few months' time.
    I could find a 16Gb for just above that price today. This was in Mongkok.
    Last edited by Cheung; 01-16-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Couldn't find a Pana TM350. They also told me the TM300 is out because a new model will come out in a few months. The lifecycle for camcorders is very fast.

Since I do need a camcorder now more than later, I bought the HS300. I like that fact it can also record on to SD if the HDD fails(!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Congrats..^^

..on your new camcorder. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Besides the SD card option, it can also shoot @ 10+ MP for still images, not too shabby.

I guess you'll be watching the videos either on your camcorder or tv? And in case you want to convert the .mts files to avi format, you can try using this software (yes, i've used it also):
    ApecSoft M2TS to AVI MP4 DVD Converter 1.7.0
    http://apecsoft.com/

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

- Stefan, i think you meant to ask which file format is better to convert the DV tapes into, VOB or AVI? IMO, all has their good and not so good.
    - As for saving or converting them to AVI files, imo, they're only useful if you want to watch the video w/out a DVD or if you want to upload your video to a broadcast website (like youtube).
    Overall, i'd say the AVI file is more flexible in terms of how one wants to watch it.
    - VOB and AVI files can be edited with some softwares.
    - As for the file size between an AVI or VOB file, well, it depends. If i recall, if the VOB is uncompressed, then the file will be the same if not much larger as an AVI file. However, there are new options which will compress a VOB format file. Quality-wise, both should be roughly the same.

Cheung, not only that, the High Def. video (esp. a Blu-ray version) has a .m2ts file format as its default recording format. Thus, if you want to watch the video, you may have to convert them, first, to an AVI or VOB format.
    From there, you can do your editing before deciding your final video format.

Personally, i'd convert any kind of digital video file to an .avi format, first. From there, i can decide whether to do any additional editing or leave them as they are in my HD or save/convert them to a DVD/.vob format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Me
    being a .AVI file has nothing to do with quality or file size. AVI is just a container. the quality and file size depends on the codec and bitrate of the video.

the best quality you can get will be to copy the compress DV files directly from your tapes. if you can't do that then you'll have to play the DV files and recapture the video stream on your computer using a lossless codec, e.g. huffyuv, before recompressing it into a smaller lossy format, e.g. h264. you're unlikely to be able to capture directly into a lossy format with excellent quality unless you have a super fast cpu.

the lossy format you should choose depends on what you intend to do with the files, e.g. MPEG2 if you want to make video dvds, h264 if you want to make bluray discs or play back on computer, leave it in lossless format if you want to do more editing.

virtualdub only works with VfW (video for windows) codecs, e.g. xvid, so you can't use it to encode AVC files.
    Very useful advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you'll be watching the videos either on your camcorder or tv? And in case you want to convert the .mts files to avi format, you can try using this software (yes, i've used it also):
    ApecSoft M2TS to AVI MP4 DVD Converter 1.7.0
    http://apecsoft.com/
    if you are thinking of converting to AVI then your target is probably to replay the files on computer. H264 (AVC) provides better quality (at the same bitrate, or same quality at lower bitrate) than any VfW codec that works with AVI containers so you wouldn't want to convert your videos to AVI format anymore. you can use MeGUI + AviSynth + x264 to compress your panasonic hs300 files to lower bitrate AVC files.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^About those..^^

- Yes, the intent is to play them on my PC/laptop and also to upload to youtube.
    - H264 or MPEG4, as in the the compression codec? If so, that program has that capability (has a codec option for mpeg4 avi). I've used it before to convert the m2ts files to mpeg4 avi files. AVI is just for the container/file format.
    - Need more than 1 program to compress??

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you edit the video file as m2ts first or after?

What program are you using? Friends tell me iMovie is easy but I don't have a Mac. What alternative is there but is also fairly intuitive?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^For those..^^

- I've somewhat mentioned in earlier posts. As of currently, there is no program, that i know, which can edit the .m2ts files. Thus, one has to convert them to a standard type format, like avi (or if you want to mpeg4 or h264) first.
    The link i gave, above (post #76), should give you a program (out of many out there) to convert a .m2ts file to an avi format. Download and install. Once you've imported the .m2ts file to your PC, then import to the program for conversion. You can choose between Auto or mpeg4 codec as options.
    Then as for the resolution, choose at least 1280x720, just to retain the quality. Try not to go smaller.
    For audio, choose MP3 or AAC.
    After it's converted (should take several minutes, depending on your PC) and saved, you can edit the video.
    If you have Windows 7, you should be able to play the .m2ts file directly on your PC. Not sure about editing it (haven't tried it).

- As for editing programs, currently the 2 "easy" & free ones are WMM and iMovie. If you have Windows XP, you should have Windows Movie Maker program already installed. Have you used it? The google link i gave earlier about discussion on which program is better, should give an idea. They're both relative the same in terms of usage.
    I've tried Windows Movie Maker and it's not too bad.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-17-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Yes, the intent is to play them on my PC/laptop and also to upload to youtube.
    - H264 or MPEG4, as in the the compression codec? If so, that program has that capability (has a codec option for mpeg4 avi). I've used it before to convert the m2ts files to mpeg4 avi files. AVI is just for the container/file format.
    - Need more than 1 program to compress??
    mpeg4 is a video standard with many parts. ASP (advanced simple profile) is used by xvid and divx. AVC/H264 (advanced video coding) is used by x264, youtube and bluray. AVC allows for better compression at the cost of higher resources to decode compared to ASP.

the program that you used to convert M2TS to AVI is probably using ASP. AVI files don't properly support AVC. For AVC you would be better of using MKV (Matroska) containers.

AviSynth uses scripts to create a virtual video/audio files for subsequent encoding. it decompresses your inputs and allows you to edit/cut/resize/etc without creating any temporary/intermediate files. you pass the AviSynth output to an encoder of your choice.

x264 is a AVC/H264 encoder. it uses command line arguments so you wouldn't want to run it on its own. MeGUI provides a GUI for x264 and can also create AviSynth scripts for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- I've somewhat mentioned in earlier posts. As of currently, there is no program, that i know, which can edit the .m2ts files. Thus, one has to convert them to a standard type format, like avi (or if you want to mpeg4 or h264) first.
    The link i gave, above (post #76), should give you a program (out of many out there) to convert a .m2ts file to an avi format. Download and install. Once you've imported the .m2ts file to your PC, then import to the program for conversion. You can choose between Auto or mpeg4 codec as options.
    Then as for the resolution, choose at least 1280x720, just to retain the quality. Try not to go smaller.
    For audio, choose MP3 or AAC.
    After it's converted (should take several minutes, depending on your PC) and saved, you can edit the video.
    If you have Windows 7, you should be able to play the .m2ts file directly on your PC. Not sure about editing it (haven't tried it).

- As for editing programs, currently the 2 "easy" & free ones are WMM and iMovie. If you have Windows XP, you should have Windows Movie Maker program already installed. Have you used it? The google link i gave earlier about discussion on which program is better, should give an idea. They're both relative the same in terms of usage.
    I've tried Windows Movie Maker and it's not too bad.
    Good luck!
    AviSynth + DGAVCDec can decode M2TS files. AviSynth also has plugins to decode AAC/MP3/AC3 audio. you don't need to create an intermediate AVI file to do your editing. create an AviSynth script, use VirtualDub to check your editing, MeGUI + x264 to encode. all the programs that i've mentioned are free and run on windows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Well..

mpeg4 is a video standard with many parts. ASP (advanced simple profile) is used by xvid and divx. AVC/H264 (advanced video coding) is used by x264, youtube and bluray. AVC allows for better compression at the cost of higher resources to decode compared to ASP.
    (explanation snipped for brevity)...
    AviSynth + DGAVCDec can decode M2TS files. AviSynth also has plugins to decode AAC/MP3/AC3 audio.
    (explanation snipped for brevity)....
    ..i hope Cheung is able to digest those and is willing to try your suggestion. Cheung, are you down with it?..
    For myself, i'm fine with the program i've used & results. It's simple and i don't have to deal with using so many programs (yes, i've heard abt those programs before but personally prefer the simple way out).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather late to the party, but just in case it's useful:

I'm editing .m2ts files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 with no problems so far. Most camcorder footage should be editable on a wide range of programs. The latest Panasonic consumer camcorders (e.g. my HDC-SD700) can record 1080 50p footage, which apparently is not compatible with many editing programs, and may require a nippy computer.

Anything up to 1080 60i or 1080 30p should be fine in most software, however.

If you get performance problems when editing HD footage, you may want to look at Premiere Pro CS5. Combine it with a decent processor, 64-bit operating system, and an Nvidia GTX-285 graphics card (or Quadro if you really want to show off...), and you should have silky-smooth HD editing due to the CUDA-accelerated Mercury playback engine in CS5. For me, that's just waaaaay too much money right now.
    Last edited by Gollum; 08-01-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast