In which category(A/B/c), did u find hardest to jump to?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ca_yan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ca_yan

ca_yan Regular Member

Hi,
    i'm curious to know from which provincial category A/B/C did you find hardest to be able to move on to the next one.

Ex. From C to B and maybe add some reasons or a particular technique that lead you to improve and jump to the enxt level :). Thank you!

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Not sure if your provincial categories correspond to the A/B/C/D classes that we use here in (USAB) Calif tournaments. I would characterize C as high intermediate and D as low intermediate play. We have sometimes seen an E or novice class as well. A and B are advanced categories.

It appears that, in this area, the C class is the broadest category -- with the broadest range of talents & often with the largest numer of participants. The B category is often the narrowest -- almost a transitional class for those who attain an A level. On the other hand, some ppl never get past B, like myself. I'm afraid I started sports too late in life -- tennis at 21 and badminton at 27.

I found it easy to move from D to C but, since the C level here is so broad, it took a while to get to B (but then I never had very much formal training). I was never really a very strong B so I'd have to say that the A level, for me, would have been the hardest to trasnsition to. If I had started much, much younger and had sufficient training, perhaps it would have been a different story.

I found that B players consistently hit their deep shots deeper than C players. Better accuracy on other shots as well. B players usually also have better deception and, more important, their play seems to be more intelligent -- more variety & better strategies. They get much better at problem-solving as well -- they do a better job of detecting & exploiting the weaknesses of their opponents while hiding their own.

C players, especially low C, tend to return smashes straight ahead with a block response. As they get stronger, they learn to return smashes with either a drop, block or a clear -- but usually still straight ahead. As a player gets to a high C or higher levels they learn to whip smash returns crosscourt and drop or block them at various angles.

Be advised that I've not done very much competition since the late '80s so some of these characterizations may have changed a bit.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, it sorta depends on your trainign schedule as well....(will get to that)

I went from a D to a C pretty fluid (was young, grew fast) went up from D as soon as I won my first D-tourny.
    I played C the whole season after, winning two, 1 half final (didn't go up due to a hamstring injury)..when I did go up I was decimated the first time.

Next season my training schedule literally doubled...and I'm now a decent/good B player (relatively)

Now, the point I was trying to make: your gane doesn't improve steadily..there're peaks and plateau's so things will always be different...

as for sys.A.
    Our A/B/C/D are quite alike. except our B is mainly just as big as our A (C largest). because not everybody wants to go up to the A (and stick in the B)..At A level you have a 1:3 chance of meating a pro in the first two rounds..you rarely get far...

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

generally i think transitioning from D (novice, recreational) to C is the easiest, probably characterized by the drive to play and improve in a serious manner.
    having said that, going from C to B will probably take the longest time, involving the greatest amount of improvement in relation to every other class.

5. a_n_d_y

a_n_d_y Regular Member

high school
    how do you even get ranked as a provincial player in either A/B/C/D? Meaning are you supposed to sign up somewhere so someone keeps track?