Use of weights...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ayanpatwick, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ayanpatwick

ayanpatwick Regular Member

Is it recommended to use weights in the ankles when practicing/playing badminton? Will it improve your stamina and even your speed? Need some advices on this.. tnx!!

BTW: I heard using of weights will stop you from growing... Is it really true? I'm just concerned because I'm still in the growing age.. :eek:

2. JoeyC.

JoeyC. Regular Member

I don't think it hurts to use ankle weights when training as it helped me improve my footwork speed. But for stamina I would suggest doing something else, such as running as it can yield better results in stamina

3. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

using light weights shouldn't hinder your growth

4. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    One concern-

If you were jogging/walking it would be good as it trains the leg calves really well. But dont forget that badminton is an explosive sport! You move your arms,legs and body in a split second and if youre not careful, you may 'pop' or dislocate a joint because the weights prevent it from moving in the direction youre telling your leg to go to.

That happened to me once, dont use leg/wrist weights in sports where you have to make sudden quick movements.

5. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

sudden inersia change will cause dislocation. the weight is not helping at all, but contributes to injury.

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I agree. Ankle weights can be dangerous iwth regards to footowrks. IF anything I'd suggest a weighted jacket but there's mixed opinions on that... some say it's very good, some say it contributes to injury.

The best way to improve stamina and speed, I find, is a mixture of doing a LOT of shadow footwork as well as cross training. For stamina, running is a great idea. For speed, plyometrics work fantastically.

7. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

what's plyometrics??

8. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Plyometrics is a type of exercise that uses explosive movements to develop muscular strength.

E.g - Squats where you quickly jump back up after you lower yourself down.

9. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Thanks for your explanation. I will do a try on that.

10. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Actually, they develop rate-of-force development (RFD) which is mostly dependent on the nervous system, or reactive strength which is a function of neuromuscular stiffness. Muscular strength it typically presumed to be present in sufficient amounts before plyometrics are undertaken.

11. westwood_13

Student
    Plyometrics, though I can't think of a good definition offhand, include exercises such as:

- Z sprints
    - lunge-walking
    - rope-ladder agility movements
    - doing footwork with exercise benches incorporated
    - agility direction jumping
    - running with quick, unanticipated direction changes

there's a giant realm of exercises... unfortunately, you have to be taught many, as they're tricky to figure out how to do correctly.

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Well, there's plyometrics, then there's "North American plyometrics". Basically, North American coaches visited the Eastern European training centres back in the day and saw those guys doing depth drops and jumps off boxes. Without always understanding why those exercises were used, they went ahead and implemented those methods in their own training. I remember reading the book about plyometrics by Don Chu -> I didn't learn anything useful there about implementing a plyometrics programme.

Instead, plyometrics training is about learning to absorb, then redirect force. Before you do this you need to determine which positions in a given sport are particularly critical in their need for this reactive ability. Also, a good method of fatigue management is necessary. Performance in plyometrics drops off quickly, and excessive volume (which is quite common) can greatly increase the likelihood of injury.

Here's the article that finally gave me some good insights on how to implement a plyometrics program (mostly towards the bottom of the article, though the top half is interesting too) : http://inno-sport.net/Torsion Training.htm

look in the media section of that website for the "torsion training" video which demonstrates that type of training implemented.

13. westwood_13

Student
    Very interesting article, thanks so much for that! I do a lot of balance board and spot jumping/agility ladder in my regular training.. I personally found it's reduced my succeptability to ankle injury and increased my footspeed, but that article was really enlightening.

And have subsequently discovered that I'm a Class B athlete and that's why I'm perma-injured, heh.