Drop in Yonex Quality in UK???

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by hyun007, Mar 20, 2007.

1. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Recently I found the quality of Yonex shuttlecock in poor quality condition for the past few months.
    It seem to affect the batch in Hertfordshire(UK) area.

No idea about other area but it will be nice to get some feedback if anyone encounterd such issue.

These 2 grades that I played and is not to Yonex normal standard in the past.

AS-30
    Seem to be very brittle and break and out of shape easily.
    The feather felt abit dryer than before.

AS-50
    OMG, what happened to this rated as "best shuttlecock ever"?
    Flight goes further than before.
    Bad bounce and block.
    And feather break easily and out of shape which hardly happened in the past for this grade.

A drop in Yonex quality or we happened to get such a huge amount of shuttlecocks that have been stucked in a container for too long???

2. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Maybe global warming is causing drier climate in the UK. So all your shuttles are drying up. Maybe you can try steaming your shuttles as some people seem to do. Alternatively install a humidifier for your storage area.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/humidifier.htm

3. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

It is not our storage problem but the batch that is been distributed recently.
    I play some matches in some clubs and there seem to be a drop in the quality of yonex shuttles in that area.

I do have a humidifier at home, where useful when having a sore throat or cough, BUT I cannot believe people actually bother to steam their shuttles!!!
    It really amazed me.

My only theory is either it must have been stored in warehouse for too long or drop in quality with the silly excuse of bird flu.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it makes a difference.

if you have invested so much money on high quality and high $$ shuttles like the AS30/AS50, it makes sense to make the extra effort to properly store them so they can be in pristine condition when you do get around to using them.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i can't speak for the 50s, but i was playing at a club that uses the 30s, and they weren't as good as i remembered to be. my current club uses gosen or carlton ones, which are better in my opinion. maybe it's because i've gotten used to them now.

6. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Carlton, hmm

Well, I can speak about Carlton, as my club uses them. Seems, that feather crisis has affected Carlton quite badly. To cut long story short, even AG-10 feathers were paper thin (equivalent of AS-40 I think), flight too fast and durability poor. Now the new batch is slightly better. But anyway, I don't buy Carlton myself and I don't plan to :D

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

the ag-10s we've been getting were much better than the aerosensa 30s, but yeah, i guess you're right, they may be more equivalent to the 40s. how much do you club get them for in estonia?

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hyun007 - Are we assuming it's the same shuttle-speed? Unless an accidental shipment of the incorrect speed was brought in, which could cause these issues.

9. adamp1

adamp1 Regular Member

school?
    to be honest i agree with the drop in quality... i always use as-40's and the past couple of months they tend to be dead after half an hour... usually they would last me 1 hour before i could call them dead but its just getting anoying having to use twice the ammount before...

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

half and hour??
    gosh, that's economical .... we change one every 10 minutes .... if not more!
    prolly due to all the mishits, i must admit.
    we're not very good you see ... :p

11. adamp1

adamp1 Regular Member

school?
    i only mishit once or twice an hour when practicing... maybe a few more in a game due to them driving it to my back hand (im not very consistant with my backhand)

and every time you mishit a shuttle you damage it... 1 mishit is enough to potentially kill the shuttle so frequent mishits would cost u a lot more money :D

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that's prolly why my club charges so much!
    just kidding ...

but yeah, i reckon some players are more fussy than others, i know a couple of guys who change the shuttle a lot more frequently than others, so i guess it's kinda subjective.

13. adamp1

adamp1 Regular Member

school?
    i change shuttles a lot if there not mint :p

but if there mine them im very protective :D

14. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

The shutte quality affect a number of clubs that are using it in hertfordshire area.
    We are not dumber to store it near a heater or improper storing.

What I suspect is that we are getting some old stocks that might have stucked in a ship container or warehouse for a period of time.
    If not, Yonex will lose it popularity if the quality drop as they charge top of the range price.

The biggest disappointment is AS-50 where it did not last as it used to be , the speed and rebounce is not same.

Don't believe in Global warming issue on shuttlecock.
    People in hot weather country did not have such issue in the past.

Anyway, Fingers cross that we happened to have an old shipment for our area.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    or perhaps the quality of shuttle has dropped at the point of manufacturing, which has been reported in many threads now. Yonex low end in particular is just worse than most other brands in general.

i'd like to point out that aging alone don't make birdies any worse. i have shuttles that have been sitting in my storeroom for 6+ years and they still play like new. in fact, my current batch i bought in bulk around 4 yrs ago. they still play like new. the key is to make sure that they are stored in a humid environment.

however, if the storage condition is bad, say if they were indeed stored in a container unprotected against the natural elements, then yes, they can go bad within months if not weeks.

16. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Hm, 8.5 GBP for AG-10 nonpro.
    USD is quite low at the moment, but it would be 17 USD. Anyway, I prefer RSL for the same money.

Yonex AS-50 is ~22 USD at the moment in retail. Not very optimal for price/perfomance, any of Yonexes :)