Why Yonex is better......

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Byro-Nenium, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    My theory on this is something i that base solely on personal experience so some may disagree.

Before, i said that rackets are all personal preference. And they are, but over the time playing, i decided to start stringing my racket tighter and tighter. So eventually i reached tensions like 24x26lbs. Which isn't very high for the pros but i personally like it very much around that tension.

I have strung up to 5 rackets at those tensions. Ti-10, MP100, Cab 21 Special, Cab 20 Original, Iso Slim-10 and now Cab 20 Tour Special. And all of them hold out very well. But yesterday i went to get my Victor Super Ti-5 strung at 25x23lbs, it broke... The frame cracked, this was even after the lady at the shop said that "she doesn't think the racket could take it". But i strung it at that tension anyway. I also had experiences with rackets that i wanted to string at similar tensions but was advised not to by the store owners, rackets such as Winex, Fleet, Victor and suprisingly even Carlton. So i won't ever string any rackets besides Yonex rackets at high tensions. As Yonex are the only 1s that seem to hold. Oh yeah, Gosen do too, but i only tried it on 1 Gosen racket.

2. Don

Don Regular Member

I may beg to differ! I just bought 2 Karakal racquets. 1 TTi 85 and 1 SL 70. These are very nice racquets and I believe they are more durable and maybe slightly better than a Yonex Carbonex Series. They both guarantee stringings up to 30 lbs and are very light. I'll have a full review on these racquets after tomorrow.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    karakal is making itself present in canada last 12 months. one should not rate all non-yonex rackets as inferior.

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: Yonex is better...

I disagree. I have had Yonex racquets breaking without any reason. Years ago, my Yonex Blacken just broke at the T-joint (where the shaft meets the joint) for no reason. I had a habit (back then) of gently tapping my racquet on my foot as I get ready to receive.

I also had Yonex racquets that cracked at the 2/10 o'clock positions (tensions was 20lbs). Reason was probably the racquet has clashed in previous games before.

For other racquets, Black Knight, Carlton, Winex. I had not had any experience with the racquets cracking by stringing them at a higher tension (> 22lbs).

Most manufacturers including Yonex specify stringing recommendations of 20-22lbs (M/X) so it is up to each player to take the risk to string higher than the recommended tension. Basically, the manufacturer would not warranty your racquet if it broke because of the high string tension.

5. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    Prob is have you on ur end, try stringing the rackets equal or higher than 25 lbs? Cos specifications might not be true sometimes.

Just my thoughts....

Thanks! :)

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

and Byro, I thought the u striung it 25 main and 23 cross. so i think that could also be a reason why it broke!

Did u buy it in Europe or Taiwan!

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

So which company recommends that you string your racket at 26lbs?

8. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Yeah it is the reason why it broke. I normally string at 24 Main 26 Cross with no problems

9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

If u go to the victor taiwan site they recommend something arnd 24-26 only. first and foremost i believe that in oval rackets U dont have to haev that differential of 2Lbs. I think as Isometric rackets are more fragile They need to be kept in proper shape and that Too arnd teh 1o clock and 11o clock posiyions where the Flattening of teh head starts.

I presumed that T5of victor was a Oval shaped racket and If u make a such a drastic mistake as to stringing it wrongly that way it is Bound t break if not while stringing but atleast while playing.

I tried this on a CAB 21SP with Bad results. Lucky that i took a couple of shots and i Cut the string to restring it!

I think Byro did it all wrong. Man u wasted a decent racket i suppose!

Mate i think try the opposite on a Iso racket! Tey 26 main adn 24 cross. teh head will cave in def! I think u have a Iso 300 which u hate! So why not try it on that.This is obviously if u dont mind mind wasting money!

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    This is an argument that nobody can win, but I fell I just can't sit quiet and let this pass.

As to your "scientific" evidence, I'm afraid one single incident isn't enough to draw such conclusions.

I've never broken a non-Yonex racquet in the frame, and I never string below 24, usually around 26 or higher. All brands have their "weak spots", but here Yonex are well-known for their fragile frames.

And look at their stringing recommendations! Who would buy a high-end racquet like the Ti SP SR and then string it at 14 lbs??? Come ON! That's like selling a Porsche and saying that the warranty will be void if you exceed 50 km/h. The only interpretation is that they don't believe in their own products. And don't come saying that it's because the SR is so light! Why then can other manufacturers make racquets at the same weight and recommend up to 40 lbs of tension? Well, there can be two reasons: 1) others have better products, or 2) others have more generous warranty policies, and either of these would be enough to say that Yonex are crooks, considering their prices.

I sincerely believe that Yonex' market domination is bad for this sport.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice point about the Porsche.

12. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    i agree with mag. this is not an argument that is solvable. everything will always have its downfall...
    i used to own a 2u ti7, strung at 23x25 and it cracked at the 12 o clock spot during a mis hit. but right now, i'm currently using a 3u cab23 strung at 24x26 and it holds up extremely well.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Mag, i believe the clones are making some headway these days. I have seen and demoed many new crop of badminton rackets from names i never heard of b4, and lately they r making good presence in canada. Yonex only change (innovate) when the competition heat is on.

14. Ace

Ace Guest

Well, if you knew how to string your racquets properly you wouldn't have that problem. You mentioned you strung the Victor up at 25x23lbs and it broke. Well, take a lesson in stringing and I hope you realize that at higher tensions, you cannot have the main strings tighter than the cross strings. So, don't blame the brand when it's your own fault.

15. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

I didn't buy the racket. I was experimenting, besides the racket is mine and i broke it and it was my mistake. I didn't know that the racket couldn't take 26lbs when pros who use Yonex string their rackets at around 30lbs.

16. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I didn't have the main strings higher than the cross. I strung it at 23lbs main and 25 cross.

17. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Goodness ..

Byron,

think some people here are really confused about the mains and strings here. I don't doubt you on this. Even if you're mistaken, where most of do our stringing, the shops won't even do it for us !! So, there's no chance of that happening really.

Anyway, back to my point. I have read someone's post actually advocating higher tension for mains and lower for crosses ! That was some 2-3 months back and I was really astounded. And I had to check my references that I wasn't the confused one.

And to those reading :

Point to note: Its important for Isometric frames to have a difference in string tension but not necessarily by 2 lbs. I strung my MP-100 at 23x24lbs using the BG-88ti and actually feels better than using 22x24 or 23x 25lbs. Just my thoughts. It works fine with my racket but may not be the case for everyone.

18. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Is it my imagination or does it seem like most of the people claiming that Yonex is the best brand have never tried any/many of the better Carltons or the higher end racquets from up-and-coming brands like Forza and Karakal? Byro, I know you have owned and played with several dozen different racquets (probably you have played with more racquets than I have even seen), but have you ever tried an AB900 or AS-Ti? It's fine to state strong opinions about racquets that one likes or dislikes, but to make comparative comments should require knowledge of other similar level racquets from the competition.

19. Nismo

Nismo Guest

I take that as an insult! Why are racquets made in Taiwan or Europe inferior?!

20. Nismo

Nismo Guest

I take that as an insult! Why are racquets made in Taiwan or Europe inferior?!