Seenking how to hold ur racket correctly...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JOJo1226, Mar 21, 2007.

1. JOJo1226

JOJo1226 Regular Member

I need help to hold my racket.. i played badminton for 2 and half.. i want ot improve myself, the first time is that i want to hold my racket correctly... so if someone have any pic or better video to teaches how to hold a racket correctly plz help!

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I would start off with a neutral or universal grip and then learn to shift to other grips as needed. One the most important things to remember is that 95% of the time (or more?), you should hold your grip rather loosely. Your fingers should automatically tighen up a bit on their own as you accelerate the racket head. It would also tighten up when you use finger power (or when using a squeeze technique).

Inexperienced players often hold their grip too tightly. This tenses up too many muscles in the forearm (for too long), which will rob you of power and will tend to fatigue your arm. It can also result it wrist soreness (overuse of the tendons?).

For the most part, you want to hold the racket more in the fingers rather than the palm of your hand. This will aid in racket control and facilitate changing to alternate grips. The racket grip should normally lie in your fingers diagonally (so that the racket acts more like an extension of your arm). If you do this correctly, you will often see a gap between your index and middle fingers. If your fingers are all bunched up, as if you were holding a club or a hammer, then you don't have it right.

If you play doubles, then you want to employ the short (choked-up) grips when playing in the forecourt (especially for net shots). This is also common for serve receive in doubs. When you play the backcourt, then you shift to the regular (long) grips.

#3 SystemicAnomaly, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  3. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

remember not to hold your grip to tight overwise you will end up getting tennis elbow!

4. JOJo1226

JOJo1226 Regular Member

thanks i will try them during my practice