Some Basic & advance questions about Mix =)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by aznchopstix89, Mar 21, 2007.

1. aznchopstix89

aznchopstix89 Regular Member

Hi, I have been playing mix for about almost two weeks now after switching from doubles. So if I sound noob right now, plz try not to flame me :D.

Now...after playing I have found a couple of main problems. One of them is when they flick serve to my partner(the girl). She has able to do a tight drop to the net, smash decently, and able to clear. However, in mix, its all about keeping the offense right? So I am kind of relunctant on letting my partner clearing cross court (basically a setup for them).
    If she drops, half the time the other girl reads it and is able to come up fast and kill it or redrop it with spin so we are forced to lift.
    If she smashes, I know she is SUPPOSE to move up and cover the net as soon as possible, but not everyone has the suberb footwork :p. So when she smashes we end up either both watching the bird drop over to our side or I end up having to go up front and save the rally...which then screws us over because I end up in the front...any suggestions?

Oh yea, here are a couple more basic questions...
    our coach tells us to attack the birdy down at all times and clear only in emergencies so we never risk a chance to lose the offense...not even offensive clears...
    However, I often find my opponent out of position who has good enough defense to return any push/drive/smash...
    Q: Isnt it more tacticle to make him run by doing 1/2 drive/offensive clears than just 100% attack?

Also, I find crosscourt smashes harder to recieve than straight smashes but they are slower and also puts me out of position after i smash...so
    Q: When should i smash crosscourt, if i even should at all, only on 100% certain kills, periodicly, when?

Finally, my advanced question...for those pros out there :D
    Today, I have had a chance to be coached by a A ranked coach, who is the head coach at Cal Poly. *remember IM A LEFTY*
    So he told me..when im on the even side receiving a serve(my bandhand side), I should lunge with my NON-RACKET foot(right one) when returning shots.
    However, when im on the odd side, he said to lunge with my racket foot...
    Can anyone tell me WHY? The whole time i have been playing badminton, ive been taught to lunge with my racket foot regardless of which side i stand. It feels really akward lunging with ur nonracket foot.

Oh wow that was a long post...Well, I hope you guys can help me out. :)

2. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    HJere's the solution to many problems:
    Teach your partner how to net drop and do kill shots.
    I play mixed too and we end up getting screwed over if the team meets two criteria:
    1. Girl can kill
    2. Guy is average
    So teach her how to net drop, it'll do wonders for you.

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    1. Offensive clears may be useless against a player with good footwork, you are still essentially giving away the lift. In any case, I don't suggest 100% attack, lift when an attacking option is not viable in that situation.

2. For crosscourt smashes, I suggest using them when you can catch the opponent going for the straight.

4. aznchopstix89

thanks, by the way thatoneaznguy
    my partner is good at the net but im not referring to when she is at the net but when pushed back on a flick serve

5. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

If your girl sucks at clearing, then she should master smash, halfsmash, drives, and drops. Then she should run in front, and you always stay rear.
    A skilled girl who can clear would play a mix like a double (side on defense, front back for offense), except she's the one to cover the front. Debutant only cover a quarter of a court, and you're left covering the 3/4 of the court :(

BTW, I don't know why your coach said to lunge with different foot depending on your side. You can lunge any foot you want, it depends where the server is hitting.

6. adamp1

adamp1 Regular Member

school?
    this may sound strange but a basic shot will confuse them... just hit the shot about a meter past the service line (but higher than the girl) and the girl will expect the man to take hit but he expects the woman to take it...

or u can learn to reverse slice and backhand reverse slice (believe me its hard! i just do a lot of backhand slices as my backhand clears are bad :D)

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The advantage of lunging with the racquet foot is that you're able to reach further because your arm does not have to reach across your body. This is critical in singles when you need to cover a large distance, as well as when having to run to the net to return a sharp drop. However, the disadvantage of this move is that by putting yourself into an extended position, it takes much longer for you to recover. Also, for a quick first step in ANY sport it should be the leg closer to where you want to that steps first. Basically, it means that the racquet foot lunge is good for range, but not so great for quickness and recovery.

So, in doubles, quickness is extremely important. Consider a net player who is in charge of cutting off returns to the net. If this player lunges to each shot (like in singles) he will be very slow. If this player takes smaller steps, with the foot in the direction of the movement leading, quickness will be much improved. A good drill for this is to play drives between a player covering the net and a player in a half-court like on defence. Whenever the net player overextends himself on a shot, the defence player must hit the appropriate return to "punish" the net player. For example if the net player lunges across to the non-racquet side, the return should come quickly across to the hole on the other side.

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Low on time so I'm only going to answer this bit, if that's okay.

The first time she is flicked to, I suggest she smashes at their girl. Even if her footwork getting back isn't great and it creates problems, at least the other team will be aware of the smash as a threat. This way, when they flick to her next time, they'll assume a side to side defensive position. This time, she should hit an attacking clear (the quality of this clear is important) at their girl and you two should assume a side to side position. It may seem as if you are on the defensive, but you are not. Either their girl will return with a high clear to allow her to regain position, an off-balance smash which likely wont be effective, or a slow drop. The slow drop won't be a problem, neither will the smash as it could be blocked to the net, creating havoc for them. And if the other girl hits a high clear, then your girl can move in and you can smash that clear to the floor!

If the other girl's clear is of good quality, get your girl just to hit another clear again... but don't have her drop as the guy may be looking to come in and kill it. She shouldn't be afraid to pursue a short clearing rally with the other girl, because then she is less likely to be forced out of position by a mistake first.

9. aznchopstix89

thanks both to westwood and stumblingfeet

after looking at some pro doubles game..I have found that infact pros do step with their nonracket foot up to return serves and sometimes with their racketfoot only on their forehand side. The step still feels a bit wierd and I seem to lose alot of range...because all my other footwork, I lunge with my racket foot. You know what I mean?

westwood, thanks for ur imput. I have found that infact making my partner smash on the first flick does scare my opponents into side to side, or at least push the girl off the net. From there on, my partner should be fine dropping it and getting back into position. Thanks!