Value comparison of 2 training/ warm up racquets...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Kelvin, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Hi folks,

This is my mini sized (subjective) evaluation of 2 racquets, that i use for training/ or warm up.

The subjects of evaluation:

LF-160 Training racquet - $123 ($88 including tax & string for the racquet, $35 for shipping... racquet was shipped from Insky sports in HK to Canada)
    ~160grams (plus whatever weight for the strings & all the extra grip i put on to bulk up the handle)
    so if U is considered 95-99/100g what does that make this? -12U?:confused:
    string - bg65, not pre-stretched, initially ~25lbs, feels roughly ~23-24lbs...

***special notes - VERY HEAVY FOR A BADMINTON RACQUET. EXTRA SPECIAL CARE RECOMMEDED FOR USE, IF TRYING TO PLAY A GAME... I'm serious lol :D
    Also it appears to be built like a tank, upon first handling.
    The colour is very very bright green... like a neon kermit the frog (sesame street famed)***

Yamasaki model unknown (some cheap racquet tempered steel frame & shaft) - $4, taxes were 7% at the time so $4.28 including tax. No need for shipping, i found it in a store when looking for hockey tape for my hockey sticks back then...
    ~130grams (plus strings, and whatever i added on to bulk up the grip size)
    string - Ashaway something something... not sure, the ink stamping on the string indicates Ashaway BLK Knight... I had a friend Will M. (not naming full names, but i'm sure you can figure out who LOL), string it for me (I did not yet have a stringing machine waaaaaay back in the day :eek: )
    Initially strung at 20lbs, i'm sure its ~18lbs now or less... :crying:

***special notes - muscle power bumps around a steel frame!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    the purple & pink colour scheme makes it seem fairly girly... so people laugh when i pull it out to warm up :p:p:p
    VERY VERY INEXPENSIVE FOR A BADMINTON RACQUET!!!***

Initial warming up:
    LF-160 - This thing is a beast!! :eek:
    I missed a lot of overhead clears upon initial use of this racquet... back hand & forehand clears required extra effort, eventually got some decent timing, but man... i was getting tired & fast!!! :D
    (also since i'm just getting back into playing my shot consistency was already pretty crappy... )
    drives, drops were ok, and this is where it felt like it really helped to strengthen the muscles used to play again.
    This racquet feels very very flexy, despite its weight.
    Maneuverability... hah! yeah right! I wouldn't use this word to help describe anything with this training racquet... all i can say was it is tough, but fun in strengthening those fingers again :p
    verdict - I need to go hit the gym more.

Yamasaki - This thing is light!!! (in comparison to the LF-160)
    Baseline to baseline over head clears, backhand clears, forehand clears with ease.
    Drives, drops, again done with little effort.
    Since the frame is very thin, and made of steel, it is both nice and very stiff, as well as keeping very good maneuverability; this helped me gain more control over racquet movement.
    verdict - Likable racquet, not too heavy, not too light, just about right.

Game play:

LF-160 - What are you nuts?? :eek: :D :eek:
    If you do try, get ready to call the paramedics... :eek:

Yamasaki - I've played a few games with it before... while not getting the power, or control i normally get (from 2u frames strung at higher string tension). I would still use this racquet for fun games, or playing left handed to work on ambidextrous play :p

Conclusion:

LF-160 - PRICE was my major concern here... for the $80 i spent, i could have gotten multiple steel racquets, and a big supply of lead tape, and shuttles to practice.
    However having said this, this racquet does initally seem very durable...

Though it is suffering from some rather moderate rattling from loose material in the head of the frame... I'll try what others have done perhaps experimenting to see what sort of tension i can get on this guy... not that i would play with this at high tension... I will more than likely string it down to 22lbs (no pre-stretch with bg65) when i get my new machine.

Overall, it feels like a tremendous racquet for training, and building strength in those fingers!!

Switching from this back to a 2u, makes for some interesting times... though it appears, i used up my stamina on warm up; because when i switched to my cab20L, i was by far out of breath, trying to conserve energy in my match, eventually losing, due to dehydration & lack of energy.

Yamasaki - I can say it has served me very well! Very durable, very maneuverable (relatively speaking...), very stiff, very affordable!!

Having used this racquet for a number of years to warm up, before my untimely injury (and subsequent retirement from playing);
    The frame does not, and has not suffered from any chips, or dents or dings.
    Though frame distortion/warping seems to be prevalent from the string job. :(

I do not know if the MP bumps have helped... but the string bed remains consistent, and I never have to move the strings back into place, also any sort of vibration is dampened down into single big wave/kickback type of feeling... in essence no vibration.

In closing, I just wanted to mention... since this is a value comparison for these 2 racquets for warm up/ training; I'd have to lean towards the el cheapo Yamasaki.

I picked up the LF160 upon hearing of others picking up their own training racquets, I also learned recently of the Kimoni product... but by then I had already purchased the LF160.. :p
    I think it is great for training up strength, and (eventually once i get strong enough) speed.
    But for the price... I could have bought a lot of extra shuttles to practice with :eek:

If I could find the Yamasaki locally again, with mp frame, I would definitely buy another. For the price, and undoubted longevity at this point, it as held up immensely well for me as I continue to improve my play ability.

Here is a link to the Yamasaki website:
    I am assuming that the lowest end model B-1205 is the one I purchased... or at least along the same line. Tempered steel frame & shaft.

http://www.yamasaki.com.tw/page9.htm

I do not have a link to any La Fleche websites, but it was shipped from Insky Sports in HK.
    But here is the pic of the racquet i was sent.
    I will post up proper pics if anyone is curious what these look like, once i get back to my dorm, to use my camera. :p

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading, I hope this was at least somewhat insightful, if you are considering a training/ warm up racquet, and dont want to use a squash racquet.

-Kelvin

Edit: spelling

#1 Kelvin, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Kelvin I think the LF could hold 40lb tension!!! it's so heavy...:D