User Tag List

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 103 to 119 of 188
  1. #103
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm surprised this thing is still here after seeing much tamer threads get binned.

  2. #104
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A bit of difference in opinions do not hurt anyone. To each his own I say. I have lived in Singapore and Malaysia so I have my own opinions.

    Cheers Loh.

  3. #105
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wl2172
    Loh, stop insinuating that Malaysia is unsafe, dirty and full of criminals. It is totally uncalled for, and I see this as very very insulting.

    I am not saying that Singapore is not a nice place to live, but unfortunatley it has priced itself so high that a large number of the people can only afford to live in HDB flats. I had a friend from Britain who commented that the house prices there are equal or even higher than UK, and that is quite amazing. The UK is surrounded by very developed, and thus, equally expensive countries, so that is not too bad. However, Singapore is surronded by far cheaper economies (albeit less developed). In many ways, Malaysia has a lot to learn from Singapore's effiency and effective execution. But this quote below, I am afraid to say, is very very bad. If that is how you view us, then you really do not respect your neighbours. You think we live in gutters? (pardon my English, for I am unschooled).

    "It is not of much use if you live in a big country, in a big house but when you step out of it, you fear that you are not safe, well protected. Gangsters may gun you down, snatch thieves may just zoom by you on their motorcycles to grab your personal belongings. Crime rate is high. Added to this are the social habits of the residents, whether they spit about the place, whether they just throw their rubbish at random, etc, etc.

    That may be one reason why X Ball chooses to retire in Australia, intead of remaining in Malaysia!"


    However, my impression of you as a person who can accept other opinions have gone down the drain. X Ball, there is no point in arguing with Loh further, he will not change his view of us judging from his quote.

    I am actually very very disappointed. I was going to accept a position with a Singapore mobile phone operator, and would have brought in much knowledge in the development of 4G WiMax and WiFi for mobile phones , but it is things like this that I will now accept another position in KL. No amount of money will make me feel accepted or happy if Malaysia is viewed so negatively all the time.

    I hope this discussion is at an end as it has nothing to do with badminton.
    Give me a chance to reply.

    My statement is very general and need not apply to your country in particular, unless there is a reason to do so. You should not insinuate into what I say and put it so negatively.

    My statement applies especially to some developing countries where the country is big and resources rich but the leaders are corrupt and poverty is more rampant, educational levels low, crime rate tends to be higher as a result. We have read so much from the papers and seen with our own eyes the sufferings of the common folks, many of whom do not have a decent meal a day.

    There are also developed countries with 'imported' social problems in that the foreign workers bring with them social habits and behaviours which are at odds with their host country. Some even resort to killing each other because of misunderstandings. This may be a way of settling arguments in their own country but is totally unacceptable in the host country. Singapore has experienced some of these problems. But the enforcement agencies, like the Police, etc, are able to tackle and contain them before they are being blown out of proportion and become a menace to society.

    The degree of crime, etc, is relative and is present in all countries, whether they are from the First World or the Third World. The effectiveness of the law and its implementation is what counts most and therein lies the difference of whether one feels safer or more comfortable in one country compared to another and makes his final choice, having considered all other relevant issues. But unfortunately, for the majority us, it is not easy to migrate to another "better" country because of our own limitations and the host country's strict requirements. For the better educated, mobile young professional, it is much easier, because talents are wanted especially in countries which want to push ahead for various reasons. So if one is really talented the world is at his feet.

    Now let's come back to XBall's comments which elicited a reply from me and for which you are not happy about. He said he prefers living in Malaysia and not Singapore, because the latter is too crowded. I have given him a reply and acknowledged that Singapore will be more crowded in future because we need more people to build the economy:

    "Got to say something, Singapore is too crowded and will become even more so in years to come as it increases its population.

    I still think Malaysia is a better place to live in. Sorry.

    I will retire in Australia, the lucky country."

    Then I asked why he wants to retire in Australia if he likes Malaysia so much.

    But you miscontrued it as unwarranted and became agitated.
    You should know that King Stirer XBall meant no harm and this forum is just an escape for us to unleash our stress, if any, or just an exchange of views and information. XBall is entitled to his own opinions as much as we are entitled to ours.

    Yes property prices are hotting up in Singapore. Foreign money is pouring in from many countries not only for prime properties but also for other investment instruments and avenues. This is good for Singapore as foreigners show confidence in our country. Even Malaysia's Genting International feels happy to have won the bid to build an Integrated Resort, with a casino, on our Sentosa island that will cost some US$3 billion. American conglomerate, Sands, has clinched the first IR costing about the same price to be built on reclaimed land at Marina Bay.

    Fortunately for the common masses, long ago since it came into power, the government has not only initiated a plan to enable about 80% of ordinary people to own their own HDB (Housing Development Board) homes, but is constantly reviewing the mass housing situation in order not to allow prices to escalate out of proportion. For the well-paid young professionals who wish to live in condominium style, they have to pay the market price which is driven by market forces. Now the price is shooting up because demand for the popular properties has exceeded supply.
    Last edited by Loh; 04-24-2007 at 10:13 PM.

  4. #106
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    Give me a chance to reply.

    My statement is very general and need not apply to your country in particular, unless there is a reason to do so. You should not insinuate into what I say and put it so negatively.

    .
    Loh, you are quite defensive. Less said the better.

  5. #107
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    Loh, you are quite defensive. Less said the better.
    I thought you were more defensive than me when you finally said Malaysia and Australia are both wonderful places to live but you prefer to retire in Australia instead.

    But I agree with you when you say:

    "A bit of difference in opinions do not hurt anyone. To each his own I say. I have lived in Singapore and Malaysia so I have my own opinions."

  6. #108
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malaysia BOLEH...!!!
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ever since I "migrated" to Sillypore from US, I've been living in a dog cage aka HDB flat. Sorry guys, but we need a spacey place to live and the dog cage is certainly too constraint. The reason for a "foreign talent" to stay n work here is because of the strong SG currency and safety. No doubt, SG is one of the safest place on earth and their public transport is top notch. However, if u wanna retire in a big banglow and car, unless u r a millionaire, it's kinda impossible to achieve ur dream in SG.

    As far as we (MY and SG PR holders), we should take enjoy the both world (strong SG currency and retire in MY).

    Oppss... we are going too far... Let's enjoy SG Open and cheer for LCW, LD and Taufik


  7. #109
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    I feel rather safe in KL. I like the big houses (although I don't stay in one), the big space to move about in the country (from Penang to Cameron Highlands, from KL to Desaru, from Malacca to Trengannu, and from Seremban to Genting Highlands). The food is also very good here in KL. I can drive for hours without paying thru my nose. The food is so cheap.

    I don't like the crowded spaces in Singapore (all the shops are so crowded), the parking coupons I have to purchase and put on my car every where I park; the charging of entry into the city; the high petrol prices; the high cost of owning homes; the high prices of car; my mee pok is double price in Singapore, and the places to visit are so few. I basically don't like the PAY and PAY (PAP) environment !

    I enjoy the fishing in Australia; the vineyards, the SPACE, and the climate. Malaysia and Australia are both wonderful places to live !
    I've watched not a few badminton tournaments in Malaysia, the most recent being the ABC in nearby JB and the farthest in Alor Star last November. But I have watched more in KL, in Cheras KLBA.

    I have driven to many places in Malaysia, including Cameron Highlands and Fraser Hill, when I was much younger and never felt in danger. Naturally I enjoyed myself otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to drive for so long hours to so many places. Like many other Singaporeans, it is also a chance to get out of tiny Singapore, other than taking a tour elsewhere overseas. Also things are relatively cheaper as the Sing dollar is higher in value, unlike before Singapore gained independence when the exchange rate used to be the other way round.

    But nowadays my trips up north is mainly by coach. I continue to enjoy myself with the places I visit and the food I take, though in some places, prices are nearly just as high as in Singapore. It is not true that one does not have to pay for using the roads as there are tolls to be paid along the highways.

    As for having to pay higher prices, this also depends on supply and demand and the priorities of the country's government. In some countries, prices of goods and services may appear cheaper, but the resident may already have paid heavily upfront in the form of higher direct and indirect taxes.

    However there were reports of some unfortunate Singaporeans whose lives were endangered and who received poor treatment at the immigration checkpoints. From time to time, such things do happen anywhere in the world but it is unfair to generalise and stereotype.

    So how can anybody accuse me of not liking Malaysia? To me Malaysians and Singaporeans are not much different. They are only divided by political boundaries. But Malaysians who work in Singapore will certainly enjoy the best of both worlds, provided Singapore continues to make economic headway.
    Last edited by Loh; 04-25-2007 at 12:00 AM.

  8. #110
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malaysia BOLEH...!!!
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    To me Malaysians and Singaporeans are not much different. They are only divided by political boundaries. But Malaysians who work in Singapore will certainly enjoy the best of both worlds, provided Singapore continues to make economic headway.
    Uncle Loh, are u referring to me taking a free ride from sillyporeland and shaking my retired legs at younger age in MY? (just pulling ur legs)

    So, r u going to watch SG Open on Labor Day? Do I have the honour to go with U? I believe that u have my number, text me ya

  9. #111
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Uncle Loh, are u referring to me taking a free ride from sillyporeland and shaking my retired legs at younger age in MY? (just pulling ur legs)

    So, r u going to watch SG Open on Labor Day? Do I have the honour to go with U? I believe that u have my number, text me ya
    Of course I'll be watching the Aviva Open. Oh I've almost forgotten that May 1 is Labour Day, public holiday. Therefore I really have no good excuse not to be there early.

    But Jimbo, did I have the privilege of meeting you before? Sorry, I tried but just can't figure out where and when. Do PM me with your hp number so that we can meet up again.

  10. #112
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malaysia BOLEH...!!!
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    Of course I'll be watching the Aviva Open. Oh I've almost forgotten that May 1 is Labour Day, public holiday. Therefore I really have no good excuse not to be there early.

    But Jimbo, did I have the privilege of meeting you before? Sorry, I tried but just can't figure out where and when. Do PM me with your hp number so that we can meet up again.
    Uncle Loh, check ur PM. Lets meet up and cheer for Taufik...

  11. #113
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That's not good - add more fuel to fire, fighhhhhttttt!

  12. #114
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf
    That's not good - add more fuel to fire, fighhhhhttttt!
    Relax Wilfred. Give me a chance. I'm greatly disadvantaged by age!

  13. #115
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    Relax Wilfred. Give me a chance. I'm greatly disadvantaged by age!
    The older you are the more defensive you get !

  14. #116
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    The older you are the more defensive you get !
    So by logic, the younger you are the more aggressive you get! I suppose you are in this category.

  15. #117
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    So by logic, the younger you are the more aggressive you get! I suppose you are in this category.
    If only you can translate your verbal energy into a badminton game, I am sure you would beat me. Or should I say your incessant energy in retorting us.
    Last edited by X Ball; 04-25-2007 at 01:17 AM.

  16. #118
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    If only you can translate your verbal energy into a badminton game, I am sure you would beat me. Or should I say your incessant energy in retorting us.
    Wow, your aggressivenes really shows! You instigate, you stir, you add fuel to fire. You assume you can beat me easily in badminton. Sure, but if you are my age and we face each other in the badminton court, it may not be what you think. You don't win on unfair grounds. Pick a man your size, as they say.

    Retorting? Surely in a democracy, this is fair play? You put forward something and when it concerns a certain party, surely that concerned party must be given a chance to reply? Worst still if it is a wrong accusation without basis. If it is unanswered, it can mean that the accused party is guilty.

  17. #119
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mmm.. i'm reading a verbal conversations between two young kids getting at each other. :P ehheheh..

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Aviva Open Singapore 2007 Pictures
    By Loh in forum Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007
    Replies: 97
    : 05-16-2007, 02:47 AM
  2. Aviva Open 2007 - Off Court Pics
    By Sealman in forum Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007
    Replies: 45
    : 05-08-2007, 08:20 PM
  3. Aviva open 2007 - Qualifying day pics
    By bariq in forum Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007
    Replies: 2
    : 05-06-2007, 03:52 AM
  4. Predictions for Aviva Singapore Open 2007
    By kimpe_bultang in forum Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007
    Replies: 129
    : 05-03-2007, 07:02 PM
  5. Aviva Open Singapore Super Series 2007 live score
    By LI De Quan in forum Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007
    Replies: 1
    : 04-26-2007, 01:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •