ekleton clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by chrishin, Mar 23, 2007.

1. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

i saw a ekleton machine for quite cheap and was wondering if badminton glide bar clamps are available or if eagnas ones will work.
    still trying to get a machine that will meet my price and needs :)

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    do you happen to know which ektelon machine?
    would this be the legendary ektelon H?

If so... the prince website might have some equipment/add-ons for it.
    I used to watch one of my coaches string from his ektelon H... was like watching a master hand craft an art piece... ahhh good memories :D

http://www.princetennis.com/infozone/askprince.asp

You can contact them to find out if they have the parts from their neos, to retrofit onto an ektelon.

Arghhh... its been too long now, but there used to be a website with a list of used stringing machines on the market... they also had parts for every machine being sold, listed as well, and whom to contact.
    Most of the machines were from pro-shops, that were upgrading to newer equipment... i'll take a look to see if i can find it or not.

In any event, its best to find out which ektelon machine, as i dont remember if all glide bar/fixed clamps were interchangeable between machines, but i do remember some of the prince neos 1000 parts were able to be retrofit to the ektelons.

edit: maybe some of the tennis pros here who work for the pro-shops, can tip us off with the web link as well?

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Kelvin, how much drawback do I expect from the glide bar clamps from Prince/Ektelon?

4. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

no it's even more ancinet DE :p
    on the other hand might not buy it because it only seems to have one glide bar

5. angel tech

angel tech Regular Member

I've just picked up an Ektelon H, and as an engineer i can appreciate the quality of it over current cheap machines.

6. angel tech

I'm looking to change this machine into 6 point mounting. Is there a kit to do this or shall i just make it myself.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    bah sorry for late reply

Hi Master Pete, sorry just noticed some more posts in this thread. (was reading through the e1000 debacle :D )

Drawbacks, would be the wearing of the break itself, which leads to slipping at the glidebar; I remember that the ektelon did require more servicing in this regard. I dont recall any work around for this problem either, unless someone was able to fabricate/make their own parts for the assembly.

Sorry I dont have as much basis for comparison with newer machines, since mine is on the way, and the last machine i owned was a 6point mount, without fixed clamps :eek: (flying clamps 4 the win :D)

For Chrishin, if you get a starting clamp, and a few extra good quality flying clamps that should solve most woes.

For Angel Tech, i'm not sure if ektelon/prince released any upgrade mount kits... if it is possible, i think the neos 1k mounting system might be able to be retrofit to the table itself.
    Since you are an engineer, you probably might be able to design & fabricate something more spectacular for optimal mounting!! probably cost you alot less too.
    If you do design some cool mounting system, optimized for badminton racquets please do post pics!! I've read there are some really good ones out there, also seen some pictures of Master Pete's new machine, looks extremely secure!
    yes 2pt mount of ektelons was a drawback, but at that point in time, a lot of stringers were able to compensate and work around the frame distortion... unskilled folks like me, would snap racquets left right and centre :D:D

I also remember some time ago, there was a website full of pictures, of machines that people made @ home... i dont know if it is still running or not i'll try to find a link.

Oh! i found the link for some used/new/refurbished machine parts & pieces.
    http://www.tennismachines.com/

edit: oops! also forgot to answer opening question...
    I think the eagnas badminton fixed clamps should fit, but dont quote me on that one... might want to find out if the link above would have any fixed clamps for you to use, or if they have opinion on the eagnas badminton clamps fitting on the ektelon.
    I would not ask eagnas, based on the recent rash of threads regarding customer service :eek:

edit2 & 3: oops mistyped something, and did it again LOL

#7 Kelvin, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  8. angel tech

I'm off on hols for a week next wednesday, but i'll try to have a go at making some clamps.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Master Kelvin, thanks so much for answering! :)

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    well, that's not to say ektelon H wasn't a very speedy machine for stringing... 2pt mount & the glidebar system... also the wear probably happened over a longer period of time; volume dependent I'm assuming.

As Angel tech mentioned, the build of the machine itself really was very high quality (machines have been in service for over 10+ years and still going)... the cheapo crank machine i had (st200) by comparison, was by far lower quality, but still got the job done, and done well.

I agree as you guys mentioned in previous posts... its not the machine that makes the stringer, its the stringer that makes the machine.

Master Pete, & Angel Tech, you both have some amazing machines!! :D:D:D

11. angel tech

Let me run this by you guys, had an idea for the 6 point side supports. Instead of a K or slanted L support. Could i use a grooved clamp to lightly grip the frame top and bottom, like a pair of small fingers. This would give support in both directions on the frame and allow easy access for the holes.
    Not sure if this has been tried before, let me know what you think.

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Angel Tech,

The Prince Neo 1000 and its predecessors are pretty much not upgradeable in terms of the support system. If you really want to upgrade the mounting system, you have to saw off the "head :eek: :eek:" and throat support. Then yoiu get to install other manufacturers' mounting system. It is a big job.

13. angel tech

I'm going to make a support from each pillar arcing out to give me two points either side of the frame. Off this i can mount my new side supports, do you think the grip style i've described is feaseable for the side supports.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I have seen a European stringing manufacturer that incorporates the said side support you described but I forgot the exact linky at: www.photostringer.com

15. angel tech

point swiss seem to have a similar idea.

It just seems sensible to lock the frame in a specific position rather than just providing a stop. My stringing experience is minimal, but it seems when you pull the string, isn't the force bearing on the last return point. So the strain is from the frame inward to the string being pulled. Traditional stop supports do relatively nothing to help this situation.

If that makes sense:D

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I understand what you mean. However, the inward and outward support you mention will substantially slow down the stringing progress by:

(a) increasing the amount of time to amount a racquet properly;

(b) creating blockages that prevent the efficient movement of string and;

(c) mounting supports intruding into the string area.

17. angel tech

I'll have a go and post up some pics. It'll be pretty basic first off, but should work, and i'll try to keep the supports as thin as possible.

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Man, I consider myself a prick when it comes to stringing but I guess you outdo me :D :cool:. Hope everything works out. And remember to post photos and videos :p like our beloved Panda, Master Dan.

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ektelon H wasn't a speedy machine :eek: :eek: :eek:. I am shocked :D. I have seen amazingly fast string jobs with these machines.

ST-200 actually get pretty thick metal but not enough of it :D. You can actually convert it into a double swivel clamp system or glide bar system.

20. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    If you reread what I wrote, I said "its not to say it is not a speedy machine" meaning its not slow. lol