Did My Stringer Do It Right?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by david07, Mar 26, 2007.

1. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    So yesterday i got my new SOTX Woven 8 and got BG-80 with it :) , i asked them to string it at 23 lbs. the stringer told me what they usually do is 21 main and 23 cross, is that right? i thought whatever you ask them to do, they do it for both the main and cross, if not, then wouldn't what they did even out to 22 lbs?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Depends on the machine setup, stringer's preference and string pattern. 23lb could mean 21 * 23, or 22 evently or 22 * 24, or 23 * 25. You need to talk to your stringer, and settle with an agreement. That's the reason, I always suggest ppl to stay with 1 stringer, rather than jumping around. ;)

Cross being 10% higher than main is one of the popular choices used by a lot of stringers.

3. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    would all of the poissibilities you just told me feel the same?

4. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Not the same, but generally likable else the stringer goes out of business. Stop worrying too much and just play with it and see if u like it =P

5. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    i'm not worried at all, just wondering if i got what i asked for :p, this is off topic, but i don't want to start a whole new topic about this. the balance point of this racket is 285 mm i think? and the shaft stiffness is 8-9? this is from memory so it might be off, how would this translate to say head heavy and stiff? thnx

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Of course they don't feel the same, if they come from the same stringer. So, stick with the same stringer, and make sure s/he knows what you really want to begin with. Then, if u feel happy about what u get, just stick with the same combo. ;)

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Just want to echo what LB said. The first stringing job with any stringer you don't know is always trial and error. If he/her tension is little too high or too low, adjust to get back to your ideal tension. Since LB and I used the same stringing machine, we can be very close when we strig a racquet @ 21X23lb. However, if another stringer with different brand and model machine, result might be totally different. From your first post, it does sound the stringer know what he is doing. He/she might not get your tension the first time, however, he/she should have it on the second try.

Good luck.

8. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

The W-8 is even-balanced and stiff, although not as stiff as an MP-99. How do you like it? I got one myself, strung with BG-66 at 24lbs, and I love it.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Another possibly is both cross and main are stringed at 23lbs.

10. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    It's a decent racket, however it just feels to flexible, how stiffer is a MP-99 or the power Woven rackets the 7 and 11?

11. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Both the 7 & 11 will be stiffer than the 8. I'd rate them this way:
    W11 > MP99 > W7

You mentioned you have your 8 strung at 23lbs. How about trying 25lbs or more to see if you can generate more power? You know you can go all the way to 30+ with the Wovens.

12. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    But doesn't higher tensions take even more effort to generate power? and doesn't high tension tend to make the strings snap faster? as i'm a student, i don't have to much money

13. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Higher tensions like stiffer racquets take more effort to generate power, but if you have the strength to bend the stiffer string bed or shaft you can potentially generate more power. Since you find the W8 flexible at 23lbs tension, upping the tension will make the racquet "feel" stiffer. You might just find you don't need a new W7 or W11.

Yes, higher tensions tend to contribute to broken strings. If you find you are breaking BG-80 too much, you can always switch to 0.70mm or thicker strings. Restringing is way cheaper than buying a new racquet.

14. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    ok thanks a lot pedro, so the pros, using extra stiff rackets and 30 + tensions must feel like their hitting with wood lol