What should I start an 11 year old boy with?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by fishmilk, Mar 27, 2007.

1. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Hello, my little cousin is doing badminton at school and I want to buy him a cheap entry model Yonex. Hopefully he will grow to enjoy the sport like I do. He is always interested in my equipment and I know he wants Yonex.

Here are some options I've considered.

- Starting him off on a CAB, it would help him learn to hit a smaller sweet spot and when he starts using ISOMETRIC shaped racquets, he will find it even easier.

- Starting him off on a ISO, it would make things a little easier for him in the beginning. Might not be the best in the long run but he'll have fun.

- Starting him off with a light racquet, it would make it easier for him to time and control his shots. It will also make it easier for him to learn to use his wrist. However the wrist power developed would be minimal.

- Starting him off with a heavy racquet, it would make it easier for him to hit shots with power, since he will most likely try to ARM the bird for a good few months. It will be hard for him to use wrist because it's so heavy. However once he starts he could develop some serious power.

What do you guys think?

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Part of it depends on his physique. Another would be whether he is getting coaching or not. I personally think a cab30ms would be a very nice racket to grow with.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

a cab 30ms is prolly a bit too stiff for a young boy just getting into the sport.
    i would say that a more flexible racquet would be better, otherwise it might put him off.
    what's your budget anyways, that'll make a recommendation easier.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to be honest, it doesn't matter.

20 yrs ago. all rackets are cab/oval. kids then played just as well as today.

i'd just get one of the beginner racket from Yonex, string it around 18-20lbs. and let him enjoy badminton as much as he can.

5. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

i think a 90-95 g racket is the best. Flexible shaft and head light. After a few months , change to even balance medium flex . Then etc etc etc

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I second that. When i started all we got was a cab 8 and i think i did not turn out bad. So get good shoes and a Cab 8 at 20lbs would be good enough.

Cheers

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    i agree. Just get him a well made all graphite racket (with durability) to begin with. Save the $$$ on a pair of good shoes and some training lessons.

8. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I'll answer some questions that might help you guys.

He's a chubby boy. Not fat, but definitely slightly overweight.

I do plan to coach him and eventually send him and his brother to my own coach.

My budget is small, I wanted to get something pretty entry level because he will probably break it or grow tired of this racquet anyway. I don't think in badminton you can GROW with a racquet without replacing it a few times so there's no point starting him off big.

I agree with the 18 - 20 lbs tension.

I don't think it's a big deal. Although some of the greatest tennis players all started with a wooden racquet with the handle cut off so it was junior length. So maybe CAB 8 is the way to go in terms of badminton? Or an ISO 23VF.

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I think 11 yr old is old enough for a regular length racquet. May be a Cab8400ti for oval or MP29light for ISO. Both has ti mash and can take abuse. Cab in general is heavier than ISO.

10. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I'd suggest a light iso racquet. I remember when I was that age, all I thought about badminton racquets were, the lighter the more expensive and better. So having a light racquet will likely impress your cousin and his friends the most (thus he'd be happiest). I remember when i brought my own lighter racquet to gym class, which was waaaay lighter than the one school provided, my friends were "wow!! so light!!!"

11. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Well from what he tells me, even a even balanced 2U racquet is a LOT lighter than the school equipment.

I just thought that perhaps starting him on a heavier racquet may be the way to go. Today I played with a beginner-intermediate girl on our team. She covered the net beautifully but her backcourt shots lacked a little power and consistency. She told me this was because she always played the net when she is with her family.

Most of us would say, a 2U racquet like the CAB 8 is too heavy and the sweet spot is harder to find, and especially if you play at net that's not what you'd want. I think equipment is a little overated. Can any of us TRULY say a racquet changed our game? Maybe during the honeymoon but in the long run, you are what you are. Having the SUITABLE racquet may give you a slight edge but that's it.

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Possibly the MP88 could be an option.

13. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    No it is too expensive and not that durable.

14. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

I would definitively give a 11 y.o kid a yonex Carbonex 8200
    or Carbonex 8600Ti. He has to be responsible because it's
    a very good equipment for such a small kid.

15. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

pick a cheap entry level racket and just go with it, let him choose. Take him to a store to check the rackets out to see if he likes it light or heavy

16. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    id buy him a wooden badminton racquet. just so hed feel special in group lessons XD

seriously just go to canadian tire, look at the badminton section, and buy the 40$ yonex racquet they have there. save your money for lessons and shoes.

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yup, I guess you got a point considering your cousin's age. How much are you willing to spend?

18. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Around 50 dollars. I'm not sure they sell badminton racquets at Canadian tire and I have much better souces. I'm more or less wondering what TYPE of racquet to start him off with rather than a specific one.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a 2U racket is not heavy.

again, i wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it. there aren't that many choices given your price range anyway. i almost got beaten by a 12 yrs old girl in singles today, your cousin will have to take many years to get to her (really good) skills, starting at 11 is late as it is, so just pick something and let him start enjoying the game.

20. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Agreed... (weaklings lol)

This is true as well... unless you look outside the yy brand.

Agreed as well...

Wait...:confused:

What???:eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL Kwan
    Stop playing with your left hand :D:D:D

In the days before ti10 came out...
    I remember during highschool playoffs, a young fellow was sponsored by YY, and was using the aluminum framed cab8...

That kid became the most popular player in the city at that point in time, when all the other kids in my school all started buying the cab8 seeing how well that sponsored kid played.

anywho I digress...

Carbonex has the tried & true design, both durable, affordable, and usable by anyone.

I certainly would not start them off with mp88.