User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Pain in the legs

    Hi everyone,

    I bought new yonex shoes a month ago and i'm having some problems with my left chin bone. It's really painful when I walk normally or when I go for the net.

    Anyone else is having trouble with this ? What can I do to fix it ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just used a pair of Kason shoes last night that affected my legs differently than other shoes that I've been using. Feeling it the shins. Perhaps the Yonex shoes you are using are not suited to your feet. If you 've actually been using the shoes for the whole month & it still affects you then it seems that it is not just a matter of breaking them in.

    Do you know if your feet are naturally pronated or supinated? High arch or somewhat flat-footed? Some problems can be remedied with an off-the-shelf insert -- some provide a better arch support, others raise & cushion the heel. You may need to see a foot specialist to get fitted for a custom othortic.

    The other alternative is to find a shoe that better fits the needs of your feet and the demands that you put on your feet (and legs).

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    I just used a pair of Kason shoes last night that affected my legs differently than other shoes that I've been using. Feeling it the shins. Perhaps the Yonex shoes you are using are not suited to your feet. If you 've actually been using the shoes for the whole month & it still affects you then it seems that it is not just a matter of breaking them in.

    Do you know if your feet are naturally pronated or supinated? High arch or somewhat flat-footed? Some problems can be remedied with an off-the-shelf insert -- some provide a better arch support, others raise & cushion the heel. You may need to see a foot specialist to get fitted for a custom othortic.

    The other alternative is to find a shoe that better fits the needs of your feet and the demands that you put on your feet (and legs).
    Thanks for the fast response.

    I am flat footed and i've been playing without any orthesis in my shoes for almost 15 years. I don't know if you are familiar with the models of the yonex brand but I had the orange one and now I switched to the red one(I don't know the exact model names). They are almost the same. I have always experienced pain in my legs (knee or feet) with new shoes but it's the first time i'm having a chin pain.

    It will maybe take more than a month to break my shoes and to be comfortable in them because i'm flat footed.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    (Note that BC has a Badminton Clothing forum that might be more appropriate for this thread. You might also find some answers there).

    Sorry, not really familiar with those specific shoes. However, there can easily be enough of a difference between the 2 models to cause your problem.

    I've noticed a slight problem with some Nike crosstrainer's that I usually buy. Their newer Air Monarch III does not have quite as much padding of the sole as their older Air Monarch II -- slightly less cushioning. However, I sill find it very suitable for badminton (and tennis) -- but it does take a little longer to break them in.

    Note that most/all volleyball shoes and some, but not all, crosstrainers work quite well for badminton.

    Do you use the runners tie (runner's tie) when you lace up your shoes? (It is a little difficult to describe the lacing pattern). It can provide a little more support for the arch and make the shoe a bit more sug at the ankle. That may or may not help with your problem.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    (Note that BC has a Badminton Clothing forum that might be more appropriate for this thread. You might also find some answers there).

    Sorry, not really familiar with those specific shoes. However, there can easily be enough of a difference between the 2 models to cause your problem.

    I've noticed a slight problem with some Nike crosstrainer's that I usually buy. Their newer Air Monarch III does not have quite as much padding of the sole as their older Air Monarch II -- slightly less cushioning. However, I sill find it very suitable for badminton (and tennis) -- but it does take a little longer to break them in.

    Note that most/all volleyball shoes and some, but not all, crosstrainers work quite well for badminton.

    Do you use the runners tie (runner's tie) when you lace up your shoes? (It is a little difficult to describe the lacing pattern). It can provide a little more support for the arch and make the shoe a bit more sug at the ankle. That may or may not help with your problem.
    Thx, I'll try to search what is a runner tie

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default New shoes and new problems

    Try to revert to your usual brand if it was previously comfortable. I dont always use orthotics especially if you only play once a week. If you are a more serious athlete then you need to consider getting your shoes and feet reviewed.

    Usually, players get such 'shin pain' when they use a hard court with poor shoes. Try to avoid doing too much jumping or back and forth net work if you can.

    http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    vancouver,canada
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsdoc
    Try to revert to your usual brand if it was previously comfortable. I dont always use orthotics especially if you only play once a week. If you are a more serious athlete then you need to consider getting your shoes and feet reviewed.

    Usually, players get such 'shin pain' when they use a hard court with poor shoes. Try to avoid doing too much jumping or back and forth net work if you can.

    http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com
    Hmm I also have a quesiton<--is it better to use my orthotics in badminton or without it? I've tried both but I want your opinion. Oliviergmar you might want to get your feet checked out.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azn_123
    Hmm I also have a quesiton<--is it better to use my orthotics in badminton or without it? I've tried both but I want your opinion. Oliviergmar you might want to get your feet checked out.
    If your orthotics have been custom-designed by a professional to help your weight distribution in athletic activity... then definitely wear them!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Getting used to orthotics

    It often takes more than 2 weeks to get used to the orthotics. Some athletes never use their custom made orthotics even after going for several reviews. It takes careful assessment, regular use and follow-up checks to ensure that your investment doesnt go to waste. Always inform your physician or podiatrist of the nature of requirements in your sport.

    http://sportsnmedicine.blogpost.com

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would suggest not running on hard surfaces like concrete for awhile. And ice your legs after you have played. Most physios would tell you that.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default flat feet & shin splints

    Quote Originally Posted by oliviergmar
    Thx, I'll try to search what is a runner tie
    I found out that the runners tie is often known (to runners) by different names -- Lock Lacing, Lace Locks or a similar variation of those names. It may not actually help with your condition but it probably wouldnt hurt to give it a try. Check out these 2 linx:

    www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=482
    fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm


    It sounds very possible that your are suffering from an inflammation condition known as shin splints. A very common contributing factor to this condition is flat feet (over-pronated). Other common factors include repeated impact on hard surfaces, jumping, running on the balls of the feet, and shoes with insufficient shock absorption.

    It sound like your condition is a result of a combination of these factors -- the new Yonex shoes, your flat feet and the demands put on your feet & legs by badminton footwork. Avoid jump smashes & jumping, in general, for now. Badminton footwork also involves running on the balls of your feet, split hops (split steps), and impact from lunges. By any chance, are you left handed?

    www.foot.com/info/cond_shin_splints.jsp <<< ----
    thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php

    The new Yonex shoes might be critical factor for your shin splints for a couple of reasons. One may be that this particular model is simply not the best shoe for your overpronated (flat) feet. The other possiblity is that shoe does not possess sufficient shock absorption. If this is the case, over-the-counter inserts (non-custom orthotics) might be enough to help. look for something like the following:

    www.foot.com/shopping/condition.php?dx=shin_splints

    To deal with the inflammation that you are experiencing now (from shin splints?), be sure to use ice and anti-imflammatories (NSAIDs or herbal). For more information about ice cup massage & herbal COX-2 inhibitors check out my post in another thread:

    badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=536978&postcount=32

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow thx everyone. Very good replies

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliviergmar
    Wow thx everyone. Very good replies
    U didnt say if you are left-handed or not. Thinking that it's your left shin that's bothering you due to your lunge at the net.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    U didnt say if you are left-handed or not. Thinking that it's your left shin that's bothering you due to your lunge at the net.
    I am right handed. My left chin is hurting when I lunge to the net because I push with my left leg. I noticed I was playing a lot more than before when I started feeling this pain. I tried my old pair of shoes for a soccer match and it's still hurting. It's maybe just a part of me now :P When i'm warmed up and playing a game I can barely feel the pain.

    I think I'll ignore it for now and after the end of the season (big tournaments coming soon), I'll take a 2 weeks break to see how it goes.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliviergmar
    I am right handed. My left chin is hurting when I lunge to the net because I push with my left leg....
    I guess this makes sense since you are pushing off the ball of your left foot when lunging forward. Perhaps moving back off the net after your shot may also bother your left leg.


    Quote Originally Posted by oliviergmar
    ... It's maybe just a part of me now :P When i'm warmed up and playing a game I can barely feel the pain.

    I think I'll ignore it for now and after the end of the season (big tournaments coming soon), I'll take a 2 weeks break to see how it goes.
    Don't think it wise to ignore it -- could get worse & then you'll be in a lot of pain & unable to play at all for a while. Keep icing or ice massaging the shin after playing. You might also try to find an anti-inflammation gel to apply after you exercise -- BioFreeze, Traumeel, or an Arnica gel. And, by all means, get a cushioning insert for your shoes.

Similar Threads

  1. Pain in my legs.
    By alexd953 in forum Injuries
    Replies: 4
    : 08-24-2011, 10:36 PM
  2. Right Knee Pain (Crack sound + Pain yesterday)
    By danilo5753 in forum Injuries
    Replies: 6
    : 02-26-2011, 12:18 PM
  3. fatigue/strain/pain in legs DURING rallies
    By llpjlau in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 21
    : 08-03-2007, 07:23 PM
  4. How big are your legs?
    By Kc_uk in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 42
    : 08-31-2005, 05:46 AM
  5. Serving under and between your legs
    By odjn in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 25
    : 05-28-2003, 03:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •