US Junior Nationals

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by supernova, Mar 27, 2007.

1. supernova

supernova Regular Member

senior software developer
  2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Good video. Kind of hard to tell from the play, but they looked a little bit sloppier than some of hte top juniors I know... but then again it may not be medal round.

Look for coach cai but couldn't find him, heh.

3. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    boring

I hope that those aren't the top players because it seems like a low level. America is supposed to be getting more interested in badminton so I hear, but the level doesn't seem as high as the national players I know. That's just my point though.:)

4. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    It seems like people never look as good on video unless it's real high quality. But then you have to remember that lots of those kids are like U17, right?

5. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    doesn't really matter

I dont think being under 17 is really a factor.. I'm even talking about the u23 and u19 it seems like a low level. I just recently went to two tournaments. Watched the u14 boys singles and it was almost same quality match as the u19. Also in the other tourney I participated in u19 we had an international level player come and only in gr.11. Most kids in badminton based countries by the age of 16 should be much better then that level. MUCH

6. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    Does Canada usually beat US in badminton tournaments? It seems like there are quite a few good juniors from Canada right now.
    Lots of people peak at different times. It seems that North American players peak later then the rest of the badminton world since (as far as I know) more emphasis is put on physical stuff in other countries with training centres and everything. The best American players seem to reach their prime later in life (late mid - late twenties). But hey, that's just my thoughts - it is rare that a player from North America reaches the international level.

7. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    I can tell you that just in international standings for men[don't neccisarily watch womens]that canda does seem to do alot better in both singles and doubles. If it wasn't for tony gunawan when he came to usa, I dont think the usa would've got much recognition for a little while. Their best player all around seems to be howard bach,even then he isn't really that impressive. Anyways the junior level right now canada is higher just because canada has picked it up a little earlier,might be a reason why. The canada team at junior pan ams never seem to do too bad compared to the dominant badminton countries,so in my eyes it would be okay. If someone can show me some better junior highlights I would love to see it. Their is a clip of some u16 of the 2006 canadian nationals, its not such great quality but you can see the level just for u16 alone. If you go to www.video.google.ca and type in canadian badminton a couple of videos should come on. Plz enjoy feel free to comment back :) love to hear feedback from everyone. Even if you have different opinions .

8. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, I was at those nationals... the games seemed more intense in person. It also seems that at a junior level it can be hard to determine a player's level (on a video like that). Sometimes people with wierd technique or slow movement can do really well based primarly on consistancy and a good palet (is that a word?) of shots. I forget how that is relevant to what you asked or what I just said but oh well.
    There were two kids there that really stood out. Michelle Li, well, sorta cleaned up and there was a kid from Ontario (u14) who won- wow... it makes me wish I had started when I was young. Oh well...

I am curious though; if those two keep playing, I wonder how far they'll go?