fatigue/strain/pain in legs DURING rallies

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by llpjlau, Mar 28, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hi,

i get pain/strain/fatigue (not sure which one) in my shins and almost all the way down to my foot during training (where i am being shuttle fed consecutively 20 shuttles or sth like tht)
    when i move (any movement, but ESPECIALLY at the back, where i move backwards to hit the shuttle)
    this happens after a while, like 10-15 shuttles into the feeding.
    this sometimes happens during matches as well during long rallies when i need to keep moving backwards.

how can i stop this kind of pain/fatigue/strain? is it footwork or fitness?
    tired legs perhaps?
    because of the pain/fatigue/strain, i cannot play as fast and as well and cannot move as normal too (slower due to pain).

is that enough info? ask me more questions about what,when,how etc to know more.

any advice is much appreciated, fellow BCers.
    thanks

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
  3. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hmm, but the pain doesnt stay there for a couple of days. it only happens during long rallies, 10 to 15 shuttles into shuttle feeding. after resting a while, the fatigue/pain is gone. so... is that still a shin splint?

4. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Can't say for sure. You might be experiencing an early stage of shin splints where the pain does not linger. Did you check out the linx from foot.com and some others? Does those descriptions appear to fit?

5. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Agreed. I suggest you do some training for these muscle groups to build up their strength, as it sounds like you're getting the beginning of a an overuse injury from excess stress and fatigue on the muscle.

May I ask, how old are you?

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

senior high school.
    what kind of muscle training can i do?

7. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    I noticed that one of the links (thestretchinghandbook.com) that I posted in that other (shin splints) thread pointed to another page for strengthening exercises:

www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education/shin_splints.htm

I noticed that some of these sites are a bit (a year or 2) behind the times on the thinking regarding the use of stretching. After a suitable warmup, the athlete should engage in dyanmic stretching & sport-specific exercises. Static streching should be done after exercising, competing or training, never before training or competing.

Static stretching appears to improve flexibility when performed afterward. It does, however, not appear to prevent injuries. In fact, it has been found for some sports that risk of injury appears to increase when static stretching is done prior to exercise. It also has been found to diminsh the ability to generate power (speed strength) and degrades athletic performance when included as part of the warmup sequence.

It appears that most high school & even some/many collegiate coaches have not yet gotten the word on this change. However, most professional teams & athletes currently only perform static stretching after their training or competition.

8. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

care to explain the difference between the different typs of stretches? thanks.

9. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Static stretches are normally held for 10-20 seconds (or more). Dynamic stretches are performed with movement, never held for more than a second (or so), if at all. Common examples of dynamic stretches are arm circles, trunk twists, walking lunges (or alternating lunges that are not held for much more than 1 second). Dynamic stretches should not be confused with ballistic stretching. Ballastic stretches involve exaggerated bouncing (or pulsing) the muscles -- generally not a good idea at all.

Sport-specific warmup includes, among other related exercises, performing footwork or strokes without a ball or shuttle. I would start the stroking or footwork very easy at first & then gradually increase the speed or intensity.

Try a google or BC Search on dynamic stretching for more info.

10. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

is senior high school a normal time??

11. badboy4life

badboy4life Regular Member

tax dodger!
    i think u jus aint stretched ur muscles out properly!!! stretch them out more b4 u do training

and go to the gym/do uphill running 2 work on ur calves!!

12. allan's shuttle

allan's shuttle Regular Member

I get pain in my elbow after playing long rallies during a match......DONT KNOW WHY..do u think my arm is WEAK????

13. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i get aches too. now i tend to rub pain relieving analgesic (deep heating rub) on the area where i am usually experiencing pain or soreness like the back, the elbow area and wrist area, the knee area, the shoulder especially the racket holding side and calf area. then i make sure i warm up and do stretches. since i started doing this the pain seldom follows me home after a badminton game. only once in a while the muscle just below the buttocks will be sore if i lunge too much. and if that happens, after a nice cooling shower, i will apply the heat rub again. so far it worked for me. :D

#13 azabaz_ipoh, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  14. badboy4life

badboy4life Regular Member

tax dodger!

ye it might also be that ur using ur arm too much and trying to influence ur shots more with brute force than the racket itself... but the best thing 2 work on your arm is to lift dumbells.

15. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student

the best thing is to work on technique.

anyway i have leg aches usually AFTER playing....but sometimes during extensively tiring drills ( especially 4 corners random feeding ) i feel more ache on my left side thanks to a ligament tear 1 year ago. not much pain actually but my left ankle is considerably weaker now. hope massaging my leg helps to recover more quickly

16. techd

techd Regular Member

i saw candara wijaya play but before he played he rubbed something on his knees..does anyone know what that is? he was just holding the bottle and rubbed the contents directly to his knees..:confused:

17. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I seem to remember hearing that sprinters complain more often about shin splints than long distance runenrs. Due mainly because sprinters land on the balls of feet whereas distance runners land heal first, thus dissipating some of the stresses to the front of the leg/shins.
    I, too, suffered with shin splints for many years, because all my fitness training was geared towards time trialing in cycling/ where badminton was a pastime back then. My legs/shins were not used to/hardened to the impact of running. To help this I was advised to do some running but not too much as this would effect my cycling muscles. Whether this was true I dont know, it was 22 years ago!!

These days I use Sorbathane footbeds in my trainers, especially as some badminton trainers are very low and flat they dont always have enough of the shock absorbtion material.

Make sure you wear suitable badminton trainers. Running shoes are for running in a straight line not for changing direction quickly as in our sport!

Get someone to check your foot placing technique when going to the rearcourt, making sure to turn your racquet foot out, parallel with rear line when you can. When going to the forehand rearcourt to retrieve a shuttle that has got behind you, will stress your shins, so be aware that you place your heal first and point your toes towards direction of travel. The same will be said of moving to shots in the fore-court also - try to place your heal first!!

18. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

further to the above. When going to the rearcourt the aim is to get their in good time to enable placing of the racquet behind as in normal overhead forehand technique.

19. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

edit "racquet foot"

20. asder

asder Regular Member

Student
    As stated earlier, dynamic stretching is a must, and static after finishing play. As to help improve your situation. Try running around the courts for 3-5 minutes, at a pace you feel comfortable with. Always use stairs, unless the place is 12th floor or higher, or there are more than 250 steps.

I didn't have the above problem, but than again i have been active in sports ever since i could run. But i did face a problem that my legs wouldn't stop shaking after playing two hours of badminton. Don't know why it happened, but the problem went away when i skipped the next day and i added running into my warm up to build up my leg muscles.

Why don't you practise running backwards for 2-5 minutes? If you feel that this happens because you often have to run backwards, than simply do that.