AT 700 vs. AT 900T

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Tsumaranai, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    To cut to the chase, I would be extremely thankful for a direct comparison discussion of these two rackets and their performances. I am trying to decide between them. I was initially fairly set on the AT 900T, but I am pondering on that, because of the price difference among other factors. I have also heard a lot of relatively pro comments on the AT 700, and the old color scheme is getting more difficult to find online (at least in 3U and from sites that provide stringing and all those services).

2. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Are you saying the 3U is harder to find? I think the old colour is just hard to find period, but I would've thought the 3U was more popular. Try looking for 4U's like me. I was extremely lucky to have RSX hook me up.

Anyway... NO NO NO. If you're deciding between these two, you need to start the process again. I had an AT700 4U and it was perfect for me. I specifically use head-heavy racquets. I didn't feel like it was heavy enough to slow my game down or anything but it still packed a huge punch. I love smashing and it was great. No problems smashing, driving, dropping. It broke and I decided to take a dive.

I drowned. I decided the 3U 900 T might be alright for me. I may not have the same power but I shouldn't be TOO badly hindered. Wrong. These two racquets are like apples and oranges. To be short, the racquet speed you can get is FAST. If you're wristy then it may be good for you. If you depend a little more on body and arm strength, then you'll have trouble. It's great for driving, defending, and the quick pace of doubles. However I did not feel like it did anything for my touch shots that I couldn't do previously. What I really didn't like is the inability to hit a huge penetrating smash based on brute power. Without perfect placement and angle, my smash wasn't very much of a weapon.

3. Tsumaranai

Student
    Well, that is some very relevant information. Though, I think I can adapt to even balance or head heavy. My first racket was even, and I felt fine. The current one I'm using is head heavy, and it packs more power, but I can for the most part, use them somewhat interchangeably.

4. Tsumaranai

Student
    Oh yea, and I am somewhat of a wristy player. I'm not really sure about the 4Us, as pertaining to their durability. I also find 3U an ideal weight. I have an AT 250 that I'm using right now, and it's head heavy and stiff, so I guess I wouldn't have to do too much to adapt to the AT 700. Of course, I doubt it'd be too hard to get into the mode with the AT 900 T. I guess I'm really open to balances.

5. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    I think the at 700 is not as head heavy as at 250?

I actually prefer the At 250 over the 700. lol

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Err, isn't the at700 the headheaviest racket in Yonex's line?

7. Tsumaranai

Student
    Some people have said that the AT 900 P is, so I would say it's between them. I'm not entirely sure about this, but it doesn't really worry me. I just want more input on their distinctions. Like I said, balance isn't relatively a big issue. It's playability or play ability, lol.

8. chgoh25

chgoh25 Regular Member

i thought YY Ti-10 old version is the most head heaviest?

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    There are no problems with 4U durability. Obvious when there's less material it's not AS strong but only by a hair.

I doubt very much AT250 is heavier than AT700 but that's your opinion.

To be honest, I think you need the evaluate your needs before you choose a racquet. Playability? Do you think the racquet will make your net shots tighter and your placement better? It's about skill. Do you buy a lot of racquets or is this gonna be the main racquet? I'd understand if you buy and try a lot, but if this is your main racquet, I think you need to give yourself a LOT of time to TRY some racquets and see what you like.

I will try to give you what you want though. AT700 is a little more flexible, some people said it's flex is only at around Medium. Personally I love the feel of the AT700 because it has a long shaft rather than a longer handle.

AT900T is much stiffer. You get a lot of feedback from the racquet. If you mishit you will feel a ton of vibration. If you're a wristy player, this is probably the better choice.

10. disney.babies

disney.babies Regular Member

student
    I think the At 700 has a lilttle vibration too when you play with it .. which one do u think gives less..? :D

11. Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool Regular Member

badminton
    am thinking of buying AT700 in UK , but not sure where to find.
    anybody, help please.

also...which one is better for me...am using AT800DEF at the mo and thinking of getting AT700 or AT900T ?

thx

12. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    while holding the AT-900T and the AT-900P i felt that the technique is more head heavy. but using the racket, i found it hard for me to adapt to the technique and even when i hit right i found that the technique isn't as power packed as the 900 power was. I really wouldn't compare the 700 to 900T because weight distribution is different imo. and the feeling while holding and using the racket is different too. u should use it and figure it out for urself.

13. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!

thats weird? The reason i asked. Don't feel like it and i have both of those rackets. maybe they are off spec or something:confused:

14. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Vibration: Lets just say, I used AT700 for well... a good at least half a year. And when I got my Techniques, I thought, whoa, what the hell is this? Techniques have a lot more vibration by far.

15. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    i agree with fishmilk, the technique seems like it has more vibration therefore a little getting used to. but i have a friend that absolutely loves it (he's buffer) so i guess his hands dun feel it as much cuz he's ready for the vibes with his strong arms =P but yeah...all depends on u. u might like it better, or u might like the 700 better.

16. Tsumaranai

Student
    Well, I'm not sure yet, but I'm starting to lean toward the AT 700. I'm just still pondering on the difference of durability between a 4U and a 3U, because I've heard 4Us are not very strong.

17. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    IMHO, ALL YONEX RACKETS ARE NOT STRONG. with my RCL Armortx700 (suppose to be imitation of YY Armortec 700) strung at 30lbs, i clashed rackets with 2 ppl. one is yy muscle power 66 and the other is armortec sumthing (dun remember) broke both yy rackets =P my rcl got a small piece of graphite taken off the shaft from the muscle power clash. otherwise, itz still in great shape. poor partners of mine O_O hope that guy gets his muscle power replaced cuz he got it only recently and yonex US only recently discontinued the style =P

18. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    oh yeah just remember i saw someone broke his 900 technique today at the 2 o'clock point. dunno what happened but yeah...so be it =P

19. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Unless you're smashing the ground with the racquet, or the wall, or the pole, or someone else's racquet; I dont think you will have much problem.

Lin Dan, one of the top single's players in the world was reportedly using 4u at700 models.
    This guy swings so fast, and hard most of his racquets bend a good ~45degrees backward (as shown in photos)... and stringing ~30-32lbs
    I think they have to be at least pretty decent :D:D:D

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I have to agree, the 4Us are a bit on the fragile side. I have heard peoiple who owned AT800 4Us, rackets just breaking easily, especially if one leans on their racket like a cane (whops!!).

One could say that the 4U racket does not peform teh same as the popular 3U counterpart.