playing someone with irregular/bad form

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Icerabbit, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Icerabbit

Icerabbit Regular Member

hi, im a varsity singles player in high school...

i do pretty well except when i play someone that has irregular form , i screw

up. Can anyone tell me how t fix this?

2. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    When you say irregular, do you mean as in a new player that hasn't learned the proper techniques yet, or a player that is skilled but has a style that seems extremely awkward?

3. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

seriously ! I hate to play with people with bizzare
    and irregular form/stances. What I do in that case
    is to make him run and smash hard on the sides..
    people with irregular forms prolly also have bad foot-
    work. So it will be hard for them to run alot on the court

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Agreed. The best thing you can do is run them around... they will trip over themselvs and not be able to make very good returns. Try not to get too frustrated by their rather annoying lucky shots, hard as it may be.

5. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Do you mean irregular form as in an unorthodox form thats not taught by personal coaches but rather developed through playing with others alot? If that's the case, I have a really unorthodox form when I play badminton. Personal coaches and clubs always seemed to expensive for me so I just play with friends alot and come up with my own shots or footwork style and from time to time copy skilled players that I see. For instance, the footwork method taught by coaches was always to much of a hassle for me as I never took the time to properly learn this. That being the case, I used footwork from Kendo, which I learned for about a year which I felt increased my speed rather than using the normal badminton footwork. Of course there are many disadvantages to this, but there are alot many advantages such as increased speed, and better recovery time (In my opinion anyhow). Also I like to trip my opponent up with very very random shots so that they can't figure out how I think without playing me more than once. An example of this would be how I throw an occasional "Peter Gade shot" (I dunno what its actually called) which is that cross court drop he does. Also, I bounce around the court and do all these unncessary shots so that they don't know where to hit. When I play someone really good, he/she usually sees through this and I get my ass whooped but when I play someone relatively better than me or about the same level as me, it really trips them up (or something else if i'm lucky :p).
    I read this over and saw that it doesn't answer the question, but since I wrote it I might as well post it :D
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

how random are your shots?

7. Smashing_Kevin

Smashing_Kevin Regular Member

lol do you iregular form as in the person that has played badminton.. for a while, never got properly train.. and can hit the bird decent...

i was playing a person like that today.. and i did... screw up and cant seem to recieve the smash... yea i'm wandering wat do i do?? is it like a mental thing?

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

It's wierd... I've become so used to people using correct technique that when I go and play a relative beginner I don't have a lot of trouble, but they often get a fair few points from the fact that I cannot predict what they're going to do. It's not like disguising a smash/drop/clear, it's like they don't set up at all. They just whack it somewhere...

I remember the NZ South Island No. 1 U18s was taken to 3 sets by someone who was far inferior skillwise, but was just absolutely crazy on court. There's no way you could possibly predict what he was going to do, it's not that he was purposefully trying to be deceptive (mostly), it's that he has such a massively different style from everyone else that people he plays are usually completely taken by surprise.

Usually the type of people that make a lot of lucky shots also make a lot of mistakes so it usually evens out :D.

9. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    wihtout proper strokes their style is awkward, maybe sometimes you may not expect them to pull off a particular shot

10. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    My suggestion is to play more with people with irregular form..

My form now is mix of both regular and irregular... I use most of my foot work from tae kwon do, is fast quick and light, but will get kinda tired..(sliding all over the place) hahaa, and I have friends that do have coaches teach me how to hit smash etc.. but most of the time, I hit with my own ways.

just play with those people more, and eventually you will learn how to play them.

#10 2007fp, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i think irregular players actually are more formulaic than normal players in the sense that they will usually pick strange shots to play over normal shots. because of this, once you notice a pattern and can get on top of them. like, if someone, when in trouble in the low forehand plays are strange shot, to say, the crosscourt, then you start waiting for them on that corner rather than do the normal thing a cover the straight reply. it's all about finding the person's pattern. everyone has a a pattern of shots they like to play, find it and hammer it. if they change, you change with them. badminton, especially with the new scoring, is all about keeping up with your opponent's pattern and changes to that pattern. and maybe introduce some changes to your own game half way through.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If that's the case, that means you are still lacking in the "experience" department. Knowing how to analyze opponent within a short period of time, and effectively counter attack, is the key. Therefore, instead of getting frustrated, try to calm down, and study their games, and attack their weakness.