Does the racquet matter?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Ph0sHo2o9, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Ph0sHo2o9

Ph0sHo2o9 Regular Member

I don't really know if the racquet matters.. People say the racquet doesn't matter so can you please tell me if it really does or not.. thx

2. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

Cheap rackets won't help, but it won't make you lose either.
    When you are really interested in badminton, I guess it is
    better to buy a good racket that is durable and "good".

I say it matters

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

A right racquet helps. If you are a beginner, try these

http://www.cybadminton.com/dispprod.php?cat=rackets&xml=CY-Ti-9
    http://www.cybadminton.com/dispprod.php?cat=rackets&xml=CY-ti-11

Both are good beginner/intermediate racquets that does not break your bank. Any 1 piece graphite racquet from MMOA, ProKennex, Winex, Gosen or Wilson (around $60 price range) would be a good starter. Yonex usually cost more, but you can get good deal when it is on sale. Try www.badmintonalley.com or www.badminton.net to see more selection.

My answer to you is a right racquet does matter, but it is the person who use it is the most important. Iassume you live in Norther CA. You can take a trip to Bay area and visit couple badminton clubs and try out the demosbefore you buy.

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    As long as you aren't using a brick, I think it doesn't matter in the beginning stages. Use what's comfortable for you, as you progress, you can change your focus to a more or less offensive racquet. Though racquet manufacturers advertise a huge realm of innovation in racquet materials and quality, I think this is mostly just that... advertising. True, I've only been playing for 11 years, but I'd just as well use my first racquet (an isometric 60) as my current Victor, and I doubt it would have any significant effect whatsoever on my gameplay. What matters is that you're comfortable with it and trust in it so it gives you confidence.

5. Ph0sHo2o9

Ph0sHo2o9 Regular Member

Well you see, First i use the Muscle Power 21 with Nanogy 95 string at 21 lb. i played with it for a while and all of the sudden the string snapped on me. I tried using other racquets that my school has and stuff.. there's tension is so different.. and the racquet are so much heavier to me... they have there's around 18lb so when i drop near the net... it bounce off my racquet like 7- 10 inch above net... and with my old racquet.. it only goes 2 inch or less... so i couldn't play with other racquets... Then i lost to a game cuz i couldn't drop then someone was like ohh it'z not the racquet itz you.. so i was just tryna find out was it my fault that i couldn't drop right or was it the racquets..

6. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    in the tournament i played today i got the chance to try out different rackets against some really tough opponents and i got some 1st hand experience on this topic

does it matter? YES

does it matter a lot? NO
    I used my Black Knight PC-V85 and Yonex MP-22 back and forth during most of the tournament but i got to borrow some one's AT700 for a spin during one of the sets and what i found out is, unlike the reviews have exaggerate difference between rackets are minimal. A lot of people say AT700 is super head heavy, super stiff, super good power .... it is only better by just a bit, enough to be noticed by its user. The actual different in the game you play can only change your score like from 20-22 to 24-22, which sounds like would make you win, BUT its really up to your own skill to get to into the close score of 20-22 in the first place. Spending $200 on a new racket is not as good a deal as spending some words to convince your coach to practice with you for a bit longer to get you a win in the finals

7. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    Good rackets really matter. A difference in your game of even 5% is already awesome. When I shifted to AT800 3 years ago, I noticed that my lobs are reaching the opponent's end lines as compared to when I was using the old carbonex and triple threat rackets. I am now using SOTX D600, Woven 7 and Woven 12 alternately, and these rackets gave me more boost in terms of power and control.

8. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    this is the best explanation so far

9. Ph0sHo2o9

Ph0sHo2o9 Regular Member

I just bought a Woven 13 and none of my friend heard about it... i got spooked and that it was a fake racquet... i just order it and it'z on it's way to my house... can someone who used a woven 13 tell me the experience they had with it... and can someone compare my 2 racquet for me because i havn't no clue what a Muscle Power 21 can do...

1. Muscle Power 21
    2. Woven 13

By the way... string tensions... i heard that they matter too... some ppl like there tension high (25 ish) .. while some like it low (20 ish) and i ask them why they like it at 20.. and they just told me because they have more power in it... i really dont' know what does the difference between the string tension do... can someone explain to me.. becuase if it makes a different.. my Woven 13 is at 26 lb and Muscle Power 21 is at 21 lb... =\

10. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    yes, it does matter, but not to the extent that getting the best racket lets you beat lin dan

11. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Regular Member

In your case I would say, string tensions does matter more than the rackets.

12. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

the questions still goes back to our skills and stamina level. having a good racket indeed helps, but it cannot do much to improve your skills and stamina level.

13. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

i agree with everyone here,
    if you have skills getting a good racquet can help to... uhhh emphasize those skills and make them just a little bit better

if you aren't that good then a good racquet won't do much for you.

14. Ph0sHo2o9

Ph0sHo2o9 Regular Member

What does the tension do really... What is the different from 26 lb and 20 lb...

15. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    if you can apply physics into this you'll understand it better

a tighter spring will be hard to extend but contain higher potential energy

a tighter string bed will have more potential power, meaning if you got the muscle to punch it harder into the bird it will unleash more force.

however a lose string bed is like a thin wire spring, easy to extend, but there is not a lot of potential energy in it. Because of its ease of use, low tension (20lb and less) can allow beginners to perform to their max easier.

High tension like 26lb will be too tight, and when beginners hit a bird with it, it'll bounce back as if it has just hit a board.

#15 TonyWdq, Mar 31, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  16. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    I think this explains better

some grade 11 physics here, hope you are way passed that

equation for elastic potential energy

(0.5)x(K)x(X^ 2)
    or
    0.5 x string bed flexibility x amount the string bed is extended (squared)

lets say a racket can only release its full power when the string bed is extended to 1cm on a power hit

we have (0.5)x(20lb tension)x(1cm^2)
    therefore force required to max out the racket power is 10 units (0.5x20x1)

if we have (0.5)(26lb tension)(1^2)
    we now need 13 units of energy to extend the same 1cm

if a beginner can only unleash 10 units of energy with his arm, then 26lb is useless as he or she cannot supply the 13 units needed to push the string out to 1 cm on a power hit.

sorry for altering some of the unit names but K value (spring constant) is better understood when its replaced with our badminton string tension in this case

hope it helps you understand better

17. Ph0sHo2o9

Ph0sHo2o9 Regular Member

i kinda understand.. but do i get a more powerful hit if it actually reaches 1cm with tension 26lb or more with the 20 lb... or it's the same... or is that i have to use more power to actually hit like a 20lb sting with a 26lb string but same distance...

18. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    yes for sure

because the equation is Energy = 0.5 x string constant x distance squared

if you can string a racket to 26lb and still push it to max (lets just say 1cm)

0.5 x 26lb x 1cm^2 = total energy hitting the bird

then the energy is 13 units

since energy hitting the bird = energy coming off the rebound according to newton's "every action has an equal and opposite reaction", if you can unleash 13 units of energy into a smash, you will get 13 units of force back punching the bird

19. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    oh god thats confusing

just remember if its too tight, cut the string and string it at lower tension until you can play well with it

20. Ph0sHo2o9

Ph0sHo2o9 Regular Member

gotcha! Thx Man =]