ISO 96VF and ISO 500

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Tammy, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I'm using a Yonex ISO 96VF for learning badminton. I find it suits my playing style: light, fast, good control. The only problem is the lack of power. It's fine for now since I'm still learning, and don't care about power. I'm doing well with it and having fun!

If I wanted to get a new racquet that is similar to ISO 96VF but gives some more power, what would it be? Would ISO 500 SS be the closest to ISO 96VF?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Hey buddy. As u are in teh initail stages why dont u buy a 2U racket which has a Oval head.

I owuld def say that u buy a Cab 20. Nothing like it. If u cant lay hands on any cab 20 then Buy a Cab 21 Sp.

Stop playing with Iso rackets when u learn baddy.PLS. I am very sure u woudl be a damn better player if u learn it in a CAB racket.

3. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Hi yogi,

Actually I also have a Cab 21 which my brother gave me. I tried it but missed the shuttle a lot. Then I saw ISO 96VF on sale, and got one. I'm playing much better with the ISO. My strokes are very slow with the Cab. I guess I need to strengthen my arm for the Cab.

I think once I've learned good techques, I'll be in better position to choose racquets. So I'm not going to buy any new racquets soon :) I just asked the question out of curiosity.

I really appreciate your advice.

4. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    hey Tammy, since I have a iso96 too. I would say that the most similar iso500 racquet is the SA. Even the SA is more head heavy than the Iso96. If you change to a Iso500 SS, your shots will be more powerful. I would suggest you try a Iso500 SR insteafd.

5. Jeetz

Jeetz Guest

Yogi,

Tammy is just a BEGINNER... This racquet will be perfect for her as she learns the basics of the sport. For the price, this racquet will do well for her for quite a while, especially in doubles.

Jeetz

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Tammy

First and foremost I am so sorry to have addressed u as Buddy. I presumed u to be a GUY. I am so sorry Maam.

I still believe that u should not play doubles when u learn Badminton. Pls learn it from singles. Doubles is so easy if u have a good tech in singles.

So pls learn singles only and never doubles. If u have a Cab racket then stop playing with a ISO racket.

The transition from a cab racket is very easy but never from a Iso to Cab. so pls never play in a Iso racket when u learn.

So best of luck.

7. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Questions for zero

Hi, zero,

Thanks for the comment and suggestion! Why did you suggest SR instead of SS? Is it because SR is more similar to ISO96 than SS? Which one is more head-heavy?

I read somewhere that although SS is heavier than SR in weight (87 vs 81), SR is more head-heavy than SS. Is it true? Which one is easier to manoeuvre?

8. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

yogi, that's all right :)

I guess there are not many women posting on this board, but that does not matter. Everyone here is helpful and friendly, and I appreciate that.

9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Re: yogi, that's all right :)

Phew. Thanks.

I personally feel that the balance point in Sr is more towards teh head than The SS. I have The Ti sp SS and i used a Iso 900SR.

I believe that the SR is way better than The SS. I also believe that the SS is very flexible. I think Teh ISo 900 SR is way more stiffer than Teh Iso Ti SP SS.

I think Sr is the Best racket if u want a light racket. It is 81 gms, Iso head with a Balance very head biased.It is high Modulus graphite construction and nO nonsense abt Titanium and stuff liek that.

If u want to buy a Iso 900 SR then pls buy one with G5 grip size.

I am very sure It will def help u.Best of luck and Thanks again.

10. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Re: Questions for zero

yeah, what yogi said is correct.

11. Don

Don Regular Member

Re: Tammy

I may have to disagree there. A cab racquet could really deter a person, especially if he or she is a beginner.

It's best to start of with a light iso, since it's easier for the person to use and come accustom to.

Later down the road if she wants to challenge herself then by all means pick up a regular oval head. By that time, she'll be stronger and much experienced and the transition won't be a big deal.

I've seen this many times with some of the female players I've trained (beginners) they find the oval head racquets are too heavy and not very easy to swing with; therefore, they tire really quickly. I lend them my Ti-10 and they find it's much better, but still too stiff for them to handle.

The ISO 500 is a pretty good racquet. I use to have one before my girl friend stole it for her collection.

12. Jon

Jon Guest

I use a ISO 500sr...

I have not tried using any other models, however i agree with yogi.. its heavier at the head, but is well balanced :)...

I use a half grip to compensate for this... and this also helps my smash tech.

13. Jon

Jon Guest

btw... are you in toronto?

if you are, by anychance would you know where i could play badminton during saturday nights?

14. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Re: badminton courts

Jon, I'm in Toronto, but I just started so I don't know much about this. A person on this board kindly sent me this info, so I hope it's helpful.

"There is is a court at Keele and Bloor. They offer badminton on Friday nights 7 to 9 ($2.50/play). Other than that, on Sundays there is a court downtown at Bloor and bay that offers badminton from 1 to 4 (i think ??? $5.00/play)."

Thank you all for your answers to my question. Talk to you later.

15. hey Tammy. Thats not that far from me.. keele/bloor where exactly? I'm 15 and only played badminton in gym classes but im interested in this sport so I'd think I'm beginner -intermediate. Would that be a good place to play for beginners? thx.

16. Jon

Jon Guest

Re: badminton courts

Tammy, if your interested in trying out my iso500sr .. i'm fine with that... we can meet at a club.. but the one i go to is in markham....

Its in a public school, called ramerwood...Its near "markville high school"
    on the intersection at carlton, and mccowan(carlton changes names once you pass mccowan)... if your on mccowan going north, you make a right(going east) onto the connection of carlton(there should be a convenient store there), and then you continue till the first stop sign, and you make a right, and when you do,... you'll see the public school.... just ask around for me... (jon chung)... its $2 to play from 8 till 10...

i've heard of some others that i have not tried...

milliken thursdays (competitive)
    acadia mon thur, fri sat (a church near metrosquare)
    L'am sat sun( a very competitive club, i forget where)