About repeated threads!

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by killersmash, Mar 31, 2007.

1. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

Last time when i see people start threads like :
    How to smash?
    How to strenghten arm?

i will get very annoyed:mad: because i have seen similar thread before. But i was thinking that if we get to start fewer and fewer threads in order to not repeat them , won't Badminton Central be quiet and boring? By the way i feel that badminton central have less and less threads started nowadays :(

Not that i am asking people to repeat threads on purpose, that would spam badminton central:eek:! i want to ask people if they want to start a new thread just start! don't be afraid that people will scold you for starting a similar / same thread. Badminton Central is a place for people to learn about badminton techniques / strokes . If you can't find the answer you are looking for , start a new thread and i am sure you will find it with all these talented badminton players in BC.

For eg. - 2 years ago if someone started a thread " how to smash ". many people will give what they think is the right answer. 2 years later , they might want to change their technique. But because it was trouble some to search for the old threads and post it here , they will ignore it and people who searched for the thread will use the wrong technique!

ty for your time:)

K!LL3R $M@SH

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, at a certain moment, everything about technique/grip/training is just discussed...the end..

no point in having the same discussion over and over...

I'd say "do a search" and if you've read anything and still ahve a question, make a thread...

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Haven't been visiting the badminton section of the forum except the tourney and chit-chat segment for the very reason you mentioned.

I think it had been discussed before a long while ago to have some kind of unified rating system ala Yonex racquet selection chart to help the user. Don't know what happened to the plan, probably mothballed due to the lack of agreement on the ratings as each to their own as well as the effort needed to maintain it.

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i have a suggestion, why not we compile a comprehensive BC badminton guide?? In that way, members asking those ever-surfacing questions such as 'how to smash'/'how to clear to baseline', can kindly refer to the cool BC official technique guide.

personally, i think that most of such threads are created by players who have not yet learnt the proper forward stroke technique, so i personally would place emphasis on the forward stroke, giving links to video resources if intellectual properly rights permit:D of course other important parts such as Grip/footwork should be put up too :)

what thinks u?

5. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I'm not sure you would get a consensus on that many things. On the other hand a guide could just list the most popular techniques without trying to advise on the 'right' one. For example, what was considered the 'correct' backhand grip 10 years ago probably wouldn't be classified as the 'correct' backhand grip now or what LJB advises as the correct grip isn't necessarily what Rexy might advise etc

It seems to me though that the point of a thread is for different people to contribute what they think and to start a discussion.

I do see what you mean about starting new threads though. Personally I don't mind new threads that provide some information but new threads along the lines of "Where should my feet be to receive a doubles serve" seem to be a waste when that has been explored in so much detail recently.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i disagree. If you can't find the answer you are looking for, research it first. Your assumption that new answers from new threads would be better which is grossly incorrect. Experienced players or posters don't like repeating themselves, and the best answers are usually found in the first or second threads created. If ur lazy to research it, then we are lazy too to keep repeating ourselves.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. that is a good idea. i have been working on a knowledge base to satisfy exactly this need. the progress is slow, unfortunately.

HOWEVER, if anyone wants to help and knows (or want to learn) how to write a wiki, please send me a PM. we can get things going much quicker.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes, we need..

:)..a "large" SEARCH box displayed, quite predominantly, so for those in need of assistance/infos can just type in the SEARCH box..:D;)

#8 ctjcad, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Can we send out a nice email to the new members after they sign up and explain that there is a little thing on the top say "SEARCH"?

10. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    sometimes when i do search, the thread i am looking for does not come out. for example, there this thread named "picture with badminton players" but when i type "picture with players" and search for it in the titles sometimes it comes out with lots of thread including the one i am looking for and sometimes it just came out with four threads that does not include the thread that i am looking for. any advice on how to find the thread you are looking for more effectively? in case you are not sure the title, and you are not sure who started the thread.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u can try 'picture+players', i got it on the first hit;)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=818845

12. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    that was just an example :D i tried twice and then the thread was shown. :) i wonder what happen to the google search thingy. when that one was available, the search result was slightly better. ;)

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i concur with you that it is indeed difficult to reach a consensus on all badminton techniques, but i think it is quite possible to put together a framework for at least the BASIC techniques, I'm sure most of the posters of 'how to smash' threads will greatly benefit from it.

Following that, we could then go in depth about more advanced techniques, where consensus may not be as easily reached. Nevertheless, we could provide differing viewpoints, or even quote actual statistics obtained from polls.....for example: 30% of BC members does the backhand short serve with non-racket foot forward, 50% with racket foot forward and 20% with both feet side by side. Won't that be kinda cool? :p(i just made up the figures here).

Of course, this manual exists only as a guideline--a convenient source of reference, and would not erode away the very purpose of forums --- to allow people to discuss their individual views freely:cool:

With regards to the Search option, i personally feel that the Advanced Search option is much more useful than simply keying in information in the small input box under the Search tab. When searching for specific threads, i usually find it more rewarding to check the 'Search Titles Only'. The 'location to search in' also enhances relevance of search results.

Maybe we should recommend members to use the advanced search more frequently. I believe a lot of them are unable to get results from Search because they didn't use advanced search:eek:

#13 DivingBirdie, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The main problem here is not the repeated topic, rather than the topic is way too broad. There's no way ppl want to repeat a 20 pages thread for the same thing over and over.

Try to narrow down the topic, and be specific. Therefore, there's always "new thoughts" to be added in, and much more helpful to read a "how to play badminton 101" handbook all over again.

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    "new thoughts", first strike in my mind, this will help to create new evolution to badminton's techniques. to refine techniques. how to return/countermeasure attack. refine attacking techniques....:eek: