trick shots..help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Quinton Burrows, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Quinton Burrows

Quinton Burrows New Member

im a 15 year old player and i want to start using more trick shots, such as using backhands with more power. could any1 tell me how i could improve my backhand power as well as steps for trick shots?
    thanks alot, Quinton Burrows

2. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    There are many threads in the forum regarding how to backhand plus an article for the correct grip on backhand shots. Secondly, there are many types of trickshots and I don't know whether you mean deception or the flashy shots, but I don't think you should be doing the flashy trick shots anyways.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I wouldnt characterize a more powerful BH as a trick shot. To my mind a trick shot is a non-standard shot that is used for various reasons -- as an emergency measure (such as behind the back), flare (showing off), creative horseplay (in practice sessions), an alternate deception (works best as an ocassional surprise or against a less skilled opponent).

Is this what you meant by trick shots?

Back to more powerful BH shots -- Are you just referring to shots in the backcourt? Are BH shots in the forecourt also a problem? If you are having probelms with all BH shots, try adding some finger power (squeezing) technique to your shots.

If the problem is primarily in the backcourt, then one remedy to it try to get your body behind the shuttle as often as possible. The weakest BH shots are the usually the ones that get to the side or behind your body. If you make an extra effort to keep the shuttle between you and the net, then more of your BH shots will be easier.

For the shots that you cant get behind then other techniques are needed. Most players use the thumb-up-the-back grip for BH shots between them and the net. However, for shots more to the side or those just starting to get past the front shoulder, the thumb postion, for many player, will shift. Try a search for alternate BH grips.

I already mentioned finger power (do a search) as one means. Another technique is to perform your arm action in 2 parts. Before the shuttle approaches your hitting zone, bend the arm at the elbow at an acute angle. Just as the shuttle nears the hitting zone, straighten the arm at a moderate pace (not too fast) with the racket head trailing. At the last instant (with the arm almost fully extended), use a vigorous (very fast) supination with some finger and a bit of wrist action.

There are other techniques to improve the deep BH that you should be able to find using the Search feature of this message board.

4. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    how long have you been playing?
    how often do you get to play?
    do you have a coach? a regular teacher at least?

if you just want an abnormally strong backhand shot, i'm 100% sure that it'll develop naturally if you play more and more. While backhand trick shots are part of a different story.

5. Quinton Burrows

Quinton Burrows New Member

alright thnx guys
    ive been playing for about 4-5 years, before that just backyard badminton
    i dont have a coach i just train myself
    and i play about 6-8 hours a week
    thanks for the help, ill look into other threads as well
    q.b.

6. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Since you're self-training it would be a very worth your while to study some instructional vids. There are a few decent ones online that are free:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSEL0V5RXwE

Even if u dont speak Korean, check the last part of these for BHs:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hpIqHuV9Pk
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKleqY5X4Q8

For other badminton vids try video.google.com or search the youtube site. You should be able to find some Chinese vids with English subtitles if you search for CCTV.

There are also several pay sites that are worthwhile. They've got a few freebies:

ibbs.tv (3 free preview instructional vids)
    badminton.tv
    badmintonsite.com

7. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    I should have said flair, not flare in this context.