Best circuit to improve stamina

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by llpjlau, Apr 1, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hi all,

i was wondering what the best circuit is to improve my stamina?
    im 16 and playing badminton for my school. my stamina is rather bad. i can't run long distances.
    so what is the best way to improve this? yes, i know by running/jogging. but what type of circuit?
    eg 1km run on monday wednesday, 1.5km run on tuesday thursday etc.......
    just for more info, badminton training (in school) are on Tuesdays and Thursdays (3.20 pm to 4.45 pm) and games/matches against other schools are on Saturday mornings.
    thanks,
    any additional information straying from this topic is also most appreciated.

2. greentribe

greentribe Regular Member

stamina training

It's better to jog 1.5km in the morning, do 50m x 10 sprint, after training do some jump rope. :rolleyes: :eek:

3. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i dont have time to jog in mornings though :)
    btw, are you pinoy living in brunei?

4. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    ahaha, u can always do it after school or when you are free. I prefer to do it in the evening myself as i dont feel sluggy like in the morning when i wake up.Other way is use jogging as warm up like 1.5 km slow jog then sprint 50mX40 with a few seconds rest in between each time. 20 times per set.

Thats what i did for endurance in training, with the help from the coach i somehow manage to finish it.

5. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

jogging in the morning is bad compared to jogging at night because of pollution problems. Best time to run outside is around 10-12 at night.

I just run 2 miles and swim 2k on fridays and that's all the cardio i do other then badminton

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Those are all good suggestions... just make sure not to go overboard, especially with the running, as you're likely to get T-band injuries, among others. Make sure it's no more than every second day and probably only three times a week to start, or whenever you can fit it in to your schedule.

7. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

For the cross-country over my city,
    I started to run for about 12 minutes
    maximum the first day (jog)
    then each day i would add 15 seconds.
    after 1 month, i could run for over 20 minutes.
    (Had to run 4 kilometers on damaged circuit)

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

A good simple routine for gaining general fitness is to alternate 1 day of "playground" exercise with 1 day of "strongman".

Examples of playground -> hopscotch, skipping rope, short sprints using various movement patterns, etc

Examples of strongman -> flipping tires, swinging a sledge hammer, dragging a sled, carrying rocks, etc

So, the playground drills basically emphasize having a quick RATE of muscular contraction (i.e. the ability to quickly fire then relax your muscles. The strongman drills have more of an emphasis on a good DURATION of muscular contraction (i.e. the muscles fire then sustain a moderately strong contraction for a fairly long duration). Do these exercises in a sequence for 30-60 seconds, with minimal rest between exercises.

9. truasianfx

truasianfx Regular Member

none
    just jog on a treadmill. Set the treadmill at a comfortable speed. I can run 7 mph for at least 2 miles without pushing myself to the limit. Put whatever speed u can run at for at least 1 mile straight without stopping.

10. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Interval training

Long distance running does not focus on the type of stamina you need for badminton. That type of running is aerobic while badminton is primarily an anaerobic sport. While it is a good thing to have a good aerobic base, you should be focusing more on developing your anaerobic stamina by performing interval training. (You should be able to find quite a few threads that discuss this type of training).