yet another seeking racquet advice post

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by peetah, Dec 11, 2001.

1. peetah

peetah Guest

first off, think there's too many badminton players on this forum named peter haha
    anyways, having said that, just want your guys and girls opinions on what new racquet i should get... first here's the lowdown on myself (this could get lengthy):

i'm just a rec player of intermediate calibre (or so i like to believe).... was on the high school team but that was almost 10 years ago.... just started playing again once a week about 1 1/2 years ago... i bought a cheap racquet back then and am still using it... it's a (don't laugh) black knight dynamo Ti XL graphite shaft, titanium alloy 95g 68cm size m - i know all this because it is emblazened on the shaft... tension was probably around 18 but after this time is probably 14-15 or worse :p ... it's taken it's share of collisions and abuse and is dented (my friend had to point that out to me)... so i think it's time to get a new racquet and in my search for one is where i found this lovely forum....

now a little bit about my playing style... i'm actually a basketball player but also play badminton and volleyball for crosstraining supplementation. i find badminton helps with my lateral movement and quick reflex in basketball.... i'm 6 feet tall and would describe my style as power player... i derive most of my power from my arm/shoulder as opposed to my wrist because it's usually my rotator cuff that is sore after my badminton sessions..... i'm sure my 14-15 string tensions is not helping me in this department.... my favourite shots are jump smashes, jump smashes, cross-court slice drop shots and um, did i mention jump smashes?.... my weakness is definitely my backhand... i have no high backhand clear, it's always a drop or a drive in that situation.... i almost exclusively play doubles.

now, i guess i'd like a powerful racquet first and foremost... something around CDN$100 ... i saw a carlton AB600 for sale US$40 ... would this suit my needs/be a good purchase? reading the product review section, i see there might be probs with the carlton handles and their strings don't seem very durable... oh yeah, i guess i would also need a recommendation on strings (if not stock) and what tension for my style of play... also, i also have this big problem with blistering on my hands... is there a good grip or glove (do they make these for badminton?) that i can put on my racquet or wear.... the BK ribbed handle was ok at first, but i guess it's worn down or something and now i can't go an hour without a big painful blister forming on the base of my pinky and also around my index finger...so in conclusion, i have no brand loyalty so please make any suggestions that you have on the above.

thank!
    peetah

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    peet:

since your previous BK racket had taken up so much abuse, i suggest u stay with a metallic alloy frame. A used yonex cab8 or 9 is not that expensive. It weighs about 95g too. Carlton made one like that too called carbon classic.

one other thing, buy some new grips, it make u play better on any rackets.

3. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    MP55 by Yonex...Cheap and powerful (about 130$ can. tax and strings included - so the racquet is around 93$ can.)..it's weight is somewhere around 94g which suits your playing style.

4. peetah

peetah Guest

Yes! thanks, that is definitely one racquet I am considering...

where is a good place I can find a MP55 ? Is that the base model of the MP models? Is a Winex MM model of the same (clone?) comparable in performance to the MP's at a reduced price?

Any good sites where they would sell these to Vancouver, BC ?

Thanks again!

peetah

5. peetah

peetah Guest

hmmm... interesting

what are the benefits of staying with a metallic alloy frame? I'm thinking this is the main cause of my chronically sore rotator cuff (plus the fact my strings are loose and dated). cab = carbonex ? why are these so inexpensive? i guess 95g is getting on to the heavier end of the spectrum, but this is the lightest racquet i've used so i'm accustomed to it... i feel that if i do get a top-heavy powerful lighter racquet about 90-93g (which to some would be too heavy) I'd be whipping the bird around like anything!

O ya, any good grips that specifically reduces the occurrence of blisters?

Thanks!

peetah

6. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    I'm not sure about places that sell badminton rackets in Vancouver, but as I already mentionned, the MP55 shouldn't be that expensive. I just bought one recently and I have to admit that it is a little heavy for me, but I guess I have to get used to it. AND yes...the MP55 is the base model for the Yonex Muscle Power series. If you visit the Yonex site and compare all the Yonex racquets together, you will see that MP55 is superior to most racquets in terms of power, stiffness, and control. It's like a high-end racquet at a cheaper price (cheaper than most high-end racquets). :)

7. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    oh yeah...and for the Winnex stuff..u should ask Peter Kho...he's the Winnex expert!!

8. peetah

peetah Guest

o ya, i read your thread regarding your recent purchase.

did you experience arm and wrist soreness from your previous racquets?

how is the power with your new racquet?

do you normally exert alot of power when you play?

where did you purchase your racquet from and for how much including strings?

do you know if they ship to vancouver?

am i asking too many questions? haha

k thanks again

p

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Spy, thanks for the recommendation...Not really a Winex expert, though.

Peetah,
    The Yonex MP55 is the low-end of the MP series. It's composed of High Modulus Graphite (Frame) and only Graphite (shaft) whereas the MP100/MP77 have ultra H.M. Graphite and/or Ultimum Ti which all makes the racquets stronger and stiffer.

Since you are want more power from your racquet, you need to get one that's head heavy (i.e. the balance point of the racquet is towards the head). Your string tension should be around 20/21lbs.

Since you are in Vancouver, why don't you let me know where and when you play and I will arrange to drop by for a game with some Winex racquets for you to try out.

10. peetah

peetah Guest

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your advice. Yes, the upper model MP's are definitely attractive but the price disparity between all the models make it not really affordable for me. I'm not that serious of a player (yet). You'll realize that once you see me play haha :p

I play on Sunday evenings at Bonsor Community Centre in Burnaby. Starts at 8 PM and goes til 10 PM. I'm trying to play more than just once a week, as you can only get so good at that rate. I'd actually like to attend a skills workshop or something of the sorts if you know of any available in this area please let me know!

Any idea how the Forza Legends Classic and/or Carlton Airblades are?

Cheerios
    peetah

11. Jigga

Jigga Guest

Hey,

I have played with the legend and it is awesome. I think it is the best racket out there for the price. I bought one from Darryl Yung about a month ago. He lives in Vancouver and was a former national star. If you want to get incontact with him to try out the racket goto www.prizmsports.com. Best of luck and I definitely recommend the Legend Classic. Try it you won't be disappointed

12. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    No...I don't have problems with my other racquet. It's lighter than the MP55. Yeah, I think I do exert a lot of power with my arm when I smash a birdie. With the MP55 however, I haven't been quite able to smash a lot harder than my smashes with my other racquet. I think I haven't hit the sweet spot of the racquet yet. Besides, I only played with the MP55 once, so I'm still not quite sure of its capability yet..hehe

13. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    I purchased the racquet from this store in Toronto...called Yo Sports...I dunno if they ship stuff. Anyways, I bought the racquet for $125can. altogether (tax and strings included...not factory strings btw).

14. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    OR you can check out www.leesbadminton.com . They sell the MP55 for 130$ can. (tax and strings included too I think). BUT I dunno if they deliver either. :(

15. peetah

peetah Guest

oh yeah, i saw that website.

are you in vancouver too? did you buy it from him personally therefore alleviating any shipping costs et al? did he give you any special deals?

thanks for the feedback!

p

16. peetah

peetah Guest

ya i checked out lee's
    but from what i hear it's pretty bad service
    and i don't think the price includes strings or taxes
    i think somebody mentioned that on your thread :T
    but brownssports.com has it on sale for 99 and they are also based in T.O. and deliver, so that's another consideration too... hmmm...
    thanks for the sleuth work though
    muchly apprecianado

p

17. Jeetz

Jeetz Guest

Some racquets in your price range:

Yonex MP55
    Black Knight Rapier Pro
    Victor Super Ti-1

All are excellent racquets...the rapier is popular in Canada. You should go to a racquet store and ask to demo these ones out. You will certainly like one of them.

18. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    Nope...the guy didn't give me any special deals...

125$ can. (everything included - and ur choice of string)

19. peetah

peetah Guest

hmmm thanks

seems like everyone is dissing the bk models

any idea why?

is it just a bad brand or something?

20. CanucKdood

CanucKdood Guest

Hey spy

Spy where is yo sports located? 125 tax/string included? what kinda string?