Broken strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Evaporised, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Evaporised

Evaporised Regular Member

Ive recently decided to start playing badminton again for the first time in about 2 years. i managed to break the string on my "good" racket by using shuttles with no ball on the end (Yeah you can see that I'm not a serious player) which just went straight through most but managed to snap my racquet. Well I have other raquets, all decathlons which I didn't buy specfically but anyway.

4 of them are too heavy and 2 of them are ok but about 10 years old and the grip is going off and flling apart. Its not worth buying a new grip and its not worth buying new strings for the racket I want to repair as it only cost £8.

Anyway Im gonna buy a new racquet but first I need to convince my parents that I actually want to play.

Is there anyway that I could repair the two middle vertical strings on the racket and tighten about 5 others either side. It's only a donay alloy racket which cost £8 but is actually suprisingly good!

2. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

no way of fixing the strings. if you like the racquet cut all the strings NOW before your racquet is ruined. You're lucky that your string even last 2 years.... I'm a very rare string breaker and break my string every month to 2. (other people once a week? :p)

3. Evaporised

the strings have been broken for 2 years and i think its pretty hopeless for me to repair them.

4. Evaporised

I cant believe that people's strings break so often I had never actually realised untill I started going on this yesterday that they break so often. But like i said it was the fact the shuttle cock can actually go through the gaps in the strings nyon very hit that did it.

5. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

did you cut the strings yet.... before it's too late

6. Evaporised

nah ill probably never use it again. When I get a new racket however i might cut them and have it sprayed to look like a good racket, if that can be done??

7. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

even if you're not going to use it, cut it anyhow.
    spray painting it will certainly make it look and feel different.

8. Evaporised

Would spraying it or getting it sprayed add enough weight to make it feel different or am i missing something. are there people who spray rackets to make them look like proper up market makes.

9. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

buying an actual racquet would be way easier and better to play with.

10. Evaporised

ye im gonna buy one soon i was jus thinking that it would be a nice thing to have to boast to better players about.

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    What would happend if it's too late?

12. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I've been playing for about 6 years now, and for the last year I've been playing 3 or 4 times a week and I've never broken a string. :)

I would suggest you get a new racquet, you can get a cheap Yonex for about £8 from some sports shops. Where abouts in the UK are you based?

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i have heard of people mending just the one string which has snapped, but have never done it myself, i don't think the performance will be anywhere near the same so i would say, don't bother.

14. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

quick question, sry to hack the thread but is there any specific method of cutting strings on a racket?

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

not for me, i just cut them one by one horizontally, then one by one vertically ..... although those on higher tensions may have a specific technique to ensure their frames don't cave in.

16. Evaporised

Ye my dad has said that if it costs less than eight pounds to get it restrung then he'll get it restrung but neither of us hold out much hope. (this is a shop where there cheapest rackets is £50 without an offer on) so unless my dad will Ill probs go out and spend 20 - 30 quid on a yonex or carlton or possibly a wilson. Oh and im "near" Manchester.

17. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

hmmm that's what i was hoping you would know :p anyone else? and above i meant "jack" not hack.

18. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    My restrings usually cost about £12 or more, which is 50% more than your racquet cost!

I'd probably recommend popping into your local JJB and having a look at the Yonex racquets in there. If there's anything that takes your fancy, go home and have a look for it online as it will be much cheaper (eg AT150 is £50 at JJB, £35 at Central Sports)!