Racket String Tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by 2kreative, Dec 12, 2001.

1. 2kreative

2kreative Guest

I was wondering if anyone knows of the proper tension to string a racket. If I have a Yonex Isometric Series what is the appropriate tension if I'm looking for power and what if I'm looking for more control ? How much of a difference does new strings and high tension make ? Thanks.

2. Peter

Peter Guest

Strings make a HUGE difference to performance. You'll notice if you ever go from playing with old loose strings to a racket with crisp, tight, new strings. You get more touch, more control and usually, more power. I have team mates who have four or five identical rackets, and use them in turn so that the tensions deteriorate evenly. Then, after a few months, they restring them all at the same time.

As for the level of tension used, well, it's more of a personal choice as to whether you want power or control. Most people settle for a compromise somewhere in the middle. The recommended levels from the manufacturers are usually a bit too low for most good players. For the Yonex Iso Swing Powers, most players use between 23 - 26 lbs. Some use as much as 30 lbs without any problems, but I've also seen that some of top internationals use as little as 21 lbs. I think I read that Peter Gade only uses 22 lbs, very surprising.

You should go for thinner strings, as they give better feel and power. Thick strings, anything over 0.70 mm are just useless.

There are a lot of titanium strings out there, I don't think they give any better performance, but they are supposed to last longer. Everyone at my club uses titanium strings.

Beware of using high tensions on rackets that can't take it. You can damage the head with tensions over 25 lbs on cheaper rackets. For most intermediate players, 22-23 lbs should be fine for all playing styles.

The best advice is to try out other people's rackets at different tensions at wherever you play. I've used rackets from 18 lbs to 30 lbs, and everything in between, so I know for sure what level I like.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect strings for you.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Just for the record...

Don't know where you read that, but Peter Gade strings his racquets at 31-33 lbs, at least according to himself.

Judging from the pitch of the hitting sound of international players, I'd say that around 30 or above seems to be the norm.

This would, needless to say, be much too high tension for most (all) of us here!

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Re: Just for the record...

Hey Mag,

I wanted to knwo something abt Ur prince racket collection. I saw that U have had the Prince response from the review coulmn.

I want to buy a whiplite 700 which is available for a good rate.

Hey how is teh response.Is it 100% graphite.Is it head heavy. What is teh grip size adn How heavy is it. I sit 2U or 3U? HOW much can u keep String tension and stuff liek that.

How durable is it buddy? Thanks for the input.

5. Nico

Nico Guest

I have been using Prince whiplite 600 and 900 for sometime now but I think it does not handle too well. I took quite sometime to get use 2 them. The 600 feels lighter, more flexi but some what lacks power during smashes. The 900 is a head heavy racquet, good 4 smashes but it has less control.
    The grip sizes are in S, M , L........my yonex is 2U and prince is M.
    Keeps tension well and yes its a full graphite racquet. Get the latest VIPER....its much better than 900 XP.

6. modious

modious Regular Member

I have the Prince Whiplite 800, 900 and 1000.
    Can't really comment much about them but I think they're pretty heavy.
    Well at least heavier than all the Yonex rackets I own!

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Yeah, I still have the Response and use it now and then, mainly when playing doubles with a clash-prone partner... I don't know all its specs, as it has been obsolete for a couple of years now. What I do know is that it's 100% graphite, balanced or slightly head light. Don't know about the grip size, but it's slightly larger than G4. The weight I would say is a heavy 3U or a light 2U, as it's lighter than my 2U MP-100 but heavier than my 3U Forza 1600. It's quite stiff. As to string tension, I'm not sure how much it really can take, but about a year ago when I felt in an experimental mood, I took it to my stringers and asked them to string it as much as it would take... they didn't want to go above 16 kg (yes, that's 35 lbs) and it held up well... but I gotta admit it was a little more than I could handle!

All in all, it's got good whack, good control, and a large sweetspot... not a bad buy. It's the most durable racquet I've had, and it's still going strong.

8. Malaysian

Malaysian Guest

Hi..I have been searching the whole forum and everybody seems to like high string tensions like 30lbs. Won't it affect your smashing power if you string it too high tension ? Don't think it would be good for doubles though.

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

I don't think anyone here (except Don maybe) uses that kind of tension. Most people seem to string somewhere between 20-26 lbs, including myself.

10. Malaysian

Malaysian Guest

But I've been reading thru the forums here and most of them seems to love very high tensions. I use 26 lbs on my Carlton Rasmussen and it seems it's alrady too high for my liking. I previously use 22 lbs and the power is there especially when you smash during doubles.

11. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    High Tension = Bad

Peter Gade is my favourite player...Cause i think he's the best looking one, same with Camila Martin. But anyways, it seems rediculous for him to string it at 30 lbs. It seems nearly impossible to me. And racket would break under all the tension. I don't want my racket to break, so i only go with the recommended tension on the sticker...

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    High tension of 30lbs should not cause any breaksge with modern racquets. The problem is not the racquet but the professional stringing machines used. Most professional stringing machines are used primarily for high turnover, which means absolutely no side supports. Without side supports, the chances of racquet breakage are high with very high tension.
    I routinely string at 24/26lbs to 26/28lbs, even nondescript racquets, for people with never a mishap on my 6-point 10 support machine. At even this moderately high tensions, the racquet will loosen from the side support mounts with each cross string you tension, making it mandatory to tighten the side support mounts every time you string the cross.
    The recommended tensions on the cone sticker are strictly for professional stringing machines. You can ignore them if you know what you are doing.