Qualifiers Taking a Toll on Wong Choong Hann

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Loh, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Star Sports

Tuesday April 3, 2007

Choong Hann: Playing in qualifiers tiring

PETALING JAYA: Shuttler Wong Choong Hann shudders at the thought of having to play in the qualifying tournament again.

The 30-year-old will be playing in two back-to-back tournaments in a bid to pick up more ranking points to qualify for the main draw of future tournaments in the Super Series.

Choong Hann left last night for the Osaka International Challenge, which begins on Thursday. And he is the third seed behind Shoji Sato of Japan and Park Sung-hwan of South Korea.

The veteran shuttler will also take part in the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Johor Baru the following week and he is in the draw of 64 players for the men’s singles.

Choong Hann is now ranked 44th in the world and his chances of appearing in the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur in August are remote.

The tournament in Osaka and the ABC are the last two events to pick up ranking points for the World Championships. “I just want to improve my world rankings and try to get among the top 32. If I can achieve this by next month, I will not have to play in the qualifying tournament for the Singapore and Indonesia Opens. Playing in a qualifying tournament is an exhausting experience,” said Choong Hann.

He had to play in the qualifiers of all four Super Series tournaments thus far this season – the Malaysian Open, Korean Open, All-England and Swiss Opens. He also went through the qualifying tournament of the German Open and reached the quarter-finals.

His world rankings plummeted after he ruptured Achilles tendon during the Thomas Cup Final last May. He only returned to competition in October.

#1 Loh, Apr 2, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    i think WCH can win in Osaka Challenge... hope he does... :D

3. ixory

ixory Regular Member

WCH is good and nice player.Unlucky he got injured during TC 2006.Now he had to compete from Qualification Round.Looking at his age,it's hard for him to back on his old form.Whatever i'll always supported him.Go WCH...Jia You...Please proved i'm wrong.:D :cool:

4. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    all my support for WCH. it was unfortunate for him to get injured and sidelined for so long. which resulted in his ranking going down. and those qualifying are so gruelling they'll sap anybody's energy. all the same, WCH have this incredible fighting spirit that even when he lost, i always feel satisfied with his performance. i have always believed that winning and losing are not the only thing that mattered but in fact it is the fight that counts.

5. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

agree.wch had shown to us that he is indeed a good fighter. i like him for that.hopefully he will do well in osaka and ABC to improve ranking so that he can avoid qualifying rounds.
    go wch :)

6. tjl_vanguard

Student
    if he will ever get back to the top flight, his experience is his weapon

7. winnie

winnie Regular Member

WCH is a good player but then he's growing old now.. so no longer so energetic..lack of stamina.. cant keep his energy also cos need to play for qualifying..if not maybe he got chance..hmm dunno la..hope his performance this time will be good 1

8. tjl_vanguard

Student
    he nearly won CJ in MO.... den after that, qualifying rounds took out alot from him plus unpleasant draws made it worst

9. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

personally, i like WCH character since last time. he was very talented even before joining BAM. he has the right attitude. to me, he is a genius. think about it why i say WCH is a genius.

10. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

cos wch is not only good at badminton but he is also smart??rite??

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    This is another positive of the super series, as quality players such as WCH play in other lower ranked ytournaments in order to qualify for the main draw.

Previoulsy with a 64 Player draw, then they would return to the main draw sooner, and thus very rarely would top players play outside of the Super Series events. Not only does the Super series add quality and competition to its tournaments, it adds quality to the other tournaments.

12. winnie

winnie Regular Member

The Star: Choong Hann, James crash out in Osaka

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia’s challenge in the Osaka International Challenge ended early when Wong Choong Hann and James Chua failed to clear their respective first round hurdles on Thursday.

Choong Hann, the former national number one, lost to South Korean Park Tae-sang 14-21, 13-21 while Japan’s Asian Junior champion Kenichi beat James 23-21, 22-20.

Choong Hann, who is currently ranked 44th in the world, will now shift his attention to the Asian Badminton Championships in Johor Baru next week.

Choong Hann will open his campaign against Taiwan’s Liao Sheng-shiun but faces a likely tough opponent in Indonesia’s Simon Santoso next.
    The unseeded Choong Hann has second seed Chen Hong of China in his path if he reaches the third round.

13. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

i am surpised that Wong Choon Hann lost. maybe he wants to concentrate for the ABC. too bad James lost narrowly. but LCW beat him convincingly in their last meeting.

14. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    How is it possible that WCH lost again? Isnt this tournament without the tough qualifying like in the SS? maybe his age has caught up with him already.....

15. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

perhaps wong choon hann wants to save energy for ABC?? ABC is his home country tournament.

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Park is a quality player, it is not that surprising he has lost.

17. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

but wong choon hann is a good player too. losing 21-13 and 21-14 is a one sided match. wonder what happens to wong choon hann.

18. winnie

winnie Regular Member

i think he and we all hv to accept the fact that he's limited by his age factors which will the affect his stamina and speed

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He lost because he just was not good enough on the day. Why wasn't he good enough? Because he has had a very serious injury from which he is still trying to make a comeback from.

Is Park TS a good player? Yes he is!

20. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher

Any collection of facts & data about this Player?? I dont know who is him. And wat is his ranking. I pity WCH who is struggling to come back for the victory :(