GunBlade008 says "Hi!"...a really really long "Hi!"

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by GunBlade008, Apr 2, 2007.

1. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Hello all!

So I've been on these forums for around 2 years now, and I guess right now is a great time to introduce myself! My alias is GunBlade, which was taken from the game Final Fantasy 8 and I used it as my name on online games so it was only natural to carry over to here. I started playing badminton at the beginning of my grade 12 year :eek: which is a very late time to start, but a great time nonetheless. I tried out for my highschool team that year and, although I was only a sub, the thought of competition and being part of a team only pushed me to strive higher in my badminton play.

After becoming a sub, I bought a 3U G4 AT700, and was very very weak with it, but I loved having a racquet that professionals used. I later on abused it by numerous clashes, drops and swinging when I was laying on the floor, you can find the thread which has the pictures. I then switched over to a 4U AT700, and I love it to death. I have used many racquets, including AT800 OF, AT800 DE, AT700, MP100, MP99, MP55, NS8K, Iso Ti-swing power sx, ISO800 tour and possibly more, but the AT700 was my one true love.

Over the season, I played 3 games, lost 1 in 3 sets and won 2 in straight sets, one win of which was really important to me because I had to prove something to myself and to a certain girl on the opposing team :eek: . Following that high school season, I was already addicted to badminton, watching matches, reading forum posts, playing everytime I got the chance to. In fact, badminton nearly ended my relationship because I spent more time playing badminton than I did with my girlfriend!! :p

The next year saw me entering college, and thus, trying out for the badminton team. I thought I had seen it all at my highschool (we had west Toronto Mens doubles champions on our team, they were untouched by any other team in the region) and was clearly shocked by the level of skill I witnessed at my college. Out of five cuts, I survived the first one. My confidence took a blow, and there was a point where I didn't want to play anymore. However, after a good rest from badminton, I was craving it again. I attended team practices (although I was not on the team), played at my former highschool, community centers, tournaments, outdoors, ANYWHERE I could play, I played.

My friend, who also frequents these forums, was my sparring partner throughout these many years. We played doubles in tournaments, played against each other in singles marathons (3-4hours worth of singles), and helped each other develop as players and partners. My next year at college, I tried out for the team again, and this time, I made it. Making the team, that remains my greatest achievement to this day. My friend did not make it though, for technical reasons, not a lack of skill. I was incredibly motivated and happy when I made the team, and from then on, worked harder to make the regional team. (There were 10 men, 5 women on the team, only 5 from each could play in Regionals). My first tournament as part of my college team did not start well. I lost in the quarter finals of C flight for singles against the finalist, and my first doubles game was against Nathanial Allard and his partner, Allard is the top college player in Ontario. Needless to say, I lost that game and went to D flight for doubles.

My new partner and I fought through the D flight rounds, had finally found the groove that we had during practices when we reached the quarterfinals. After an inspiring win in our quarter finals, 12-15, 15-12, 15-2, we were motivated once again and were playing our best badminton. Due to time restrictions, our semi final would be only a single game of 21, and after having a great start, we won our semi's with a score of 21-3. Riding the momentum from our last two victories, we played our finals. We dominated the game, my partner smashing from the back and myself at the net, we won our school's first Flight win with a score of 15-2, 15-6. That was my first real tournament win and my college's first badminton achievement (Badminton at my college was started in my first year and they had not won a flight or a tournament until that point).

I have improved leagues since I started playing badminton in highschool and have become wiser, stronger, faster and more mature in my gameplay. To date, I currently play in many community centers to keep my form up and am still an active part of my team practices. I play with college national level players and can keep up with them. I also emulate what my coaches have taught me and teach it to other people. Aside from playing, I also coach a highschool team and take time to coach them individually when they come to my club.

I could not have taken these huge advances in badminton without the help of many people, my coaches, teammates, my friend/sparring partner (whom I still play with to this day), and of course, the many people of BC. Some names in particular are JR, Gollum, Kwun, westwood_13, DinkAlot, bluejeff, and many others, sorry if I forgot!

I still play regulary, and am hoping to achieve even more in my next year on the team. You may see me as helpful, informative, immature, blunt, short-tempered or whatever on these forums, but I am just another die-hard badminton fanatic. Although frequenting these forums is only adding to my badminton-addiction, it is an addiction worth keeping!

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Belated welcome to BadmintonCentral forum, GunBlade008 :D

-dave

3. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    It is always refreshing to read an intro like this.

A belated welcome! :)

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Very nice story. Kinda amazed by the amount of effort and determination you put in. Great job!

Note: I want more details regarding the "girl" related issues. :D

5. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

yeah... and you didn't even mention if she ever became your girlfriend! lol

6. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    That girl was more of an ex-girlfriend and I wanted to prove something to her and myself by beating her teammates! I already had another girlfriend during that time anyways hahaha

7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    afterwelcome! I like your logo design skills, the by the way. Glad you're still playing and having fun at it, because as I learnt too late... it's the fun that counts!

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the "extra information". :p

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Welcome To bCBF~!

10. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Haha agreed...welcome gunblade!!!!:D