LCW+Misbun combination

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ixory, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton: Duo switch camp to train with Misbun

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: National men’s singles shuttlers Lee Chong Wei and Kuan Beng Hong have split up with their coach Wong Tat Meng to train under national coach Misbun Sidek.
    Yesterday, the Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) chief coach Yap Kim Hock confirmed that Chong Wei and Beng Hong would train with Misbun in a bid to revive their flagging careers.
    The two players decided on the change after their poor outings in the back-to-back All-England and Swiss Open recently.
    Yesterday, national champion and world No. 4 Chong Wei began his first day of training with Misbun at the Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara. Beng Hong will join him on Monday.
    It is the second time this year that Chong Wei and Beng Hong will have a “new” coach. In February, China’s Li Mao left in a huff after signing to join the Korean BA and his place was taken over by Tat Meng.
    Chong Wei and Beng Hong were under Misbun’s guidance for two years before Li Mao took over in 2005.
    With the inclusion of Chong Wei and Beng Hong, Misbun will have seven players under his wings. The others are Mohd Hafiz Hashim and four juniors – Chan Kwong Beng, Lok Chong Chieh, Zairul Hafiz Zainuddin and Syed Akhbar Mustakim.
    Kim Hock said that all those involved were informed of the changes on Thursday.
    “Chong Wei and Beng Hong’s inconsistent performances have been a concern for us. The players have asked for a change and the coaches and management have agreed. The duo are confident that they can raise their game under Misbun,” said Kim Hock.
    “Both have been with Misbun before. Tat Meng has not taken this decision as a major setback. He too wants the best for these players. He will continue training the others, including Wong Choong Hann.”
    The 25-year-old Chong Wei, who spent two hours in training with his new coach yesterday, is hoping to regain his old form.
    “I was not a top player when I first joined Misbun (in 2003). Under him, I rose to become a top player in the world. Li Mao further strengthened my skills. Now, I am down again and I hope my form will take flight under him (Misbun),” said Chong Wei.
    The Penangite broke into the top 10 for the first time and his reign as the national No.1 also began under the guidance of Misbun.
    “I initiated the move not because Tat Meng is not good. He has his own speciality and he has done well by utilising Li Mao’s programme for us,” he said.
    “But I feel that Misbun can bring the sting back in my game again. He knows the old Chong Wei well.
    “He can help polish up my attacking skills, especially at the front of the court. Those skills used to strike fear in my opponents.
    “Hopefully, with this new arrangement, I will get back on track in my preparation for the World Championships (at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Aug 13-19).” Chong Wei’s immediate plan is to regain his confidence by doing well at the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Johor Baru from April 10-15.

Good Luck to LCW...i really wanna him back on his old form..:rolleyes: :cool:

2. winnie

winnie Regular Member

aja aja fighting for lee chong wei! looking forward for some good match from him in ABC

3. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    im so shocked to hear the news of LCW is under Misbun now.....

4. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

I prefer LCW to go to KLRC and trains under Indra. Has misbun produced any champions before?

5. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

LCW really sees misbun as a good coach who can bring him to the top?? misbun?? i'm shocked when hear the news. in misbun playing days, misbun is a stroke player. misbun never produces any attacking player. all of you, please look back to the past thirty years carefully. anyone here remember??

6. liying_0505

liying_0505 Regular Member

Student
    NO WAY~!!!! Chong Wei shouldn't join KLRC!!!!!!!!!!

7. heavyn91

heavyn91 Regular Member

Student
    wat we can do is just pray for Chong Wei..hoping that the 'old' Chong Wei will be back..

8. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya... this is his own desicion and i think that he knew which coach will help him to regain his confidence.I really hope that he won't let us down again since i never lost hope although he played really badly recently.I hope he can use action to prove he is still the best.Well, hope he play well in the ABC as i will go there to support him.Hope to see him at least gone through the semis.

9. lina_ngchiuhwa

lina_ngchiuhwa Regular Member

Clerk
    LCW choose Misbun to be his coach and at least LCW trust Misbun Sidek to bring back the old LCW who use to fight in the court without any fear. We cannot say that Misbun is not good in the attacking player, but he and his brothers had dominated well in the court in these past few years.Sidek's family are famous in the badminton history. Before LCW trained under Li Mao, he used to trained under Misbun Sidek and with his training, he became the national number one and to be feature in the world's top 10. The Asian Badminton C'ships are near and LCW really needs to bring back his confidence and bounce back quickly when he start to trained under Misbun. The ABC's will feature Chen Jin and Chen Hong from China and Taufik Hidayat whom withdraw from the All-England and Swiss Open. He didn't play in the three previous super series and i'm sure he will fight for the ABC's title. LCW needs to keep his finger cross to avoid Taufik in the early meetings at least until the final.

#9 lina_ngchiuhwa, Mar 31, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree... but coaching and playing is different. Misbun may not be able to apply his playing tactics against the players of this era. I'm sure Misbun has his advantages and knowledge which LCW likes.

11. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

at least there's one person who agrees partially with me. that's you, ants. Misbun already proved himself on his "effectiveness" as a coach. what else we need to see and wait somemore?? when misbun was wong choon hann's coach, choon hann is always no.2 to xia xianze. when roslin was world no.1 for ONLY TWO WEEKS under Misbun, roslin was a stroke player. all players under misbun in the past, who are Roslin, Wong Choon Hann and currently Hafiz are stroke players. stroke players cannot survive in the 21 points scoring system. when LCW was under Misbun, he lost TAMELY to chen hong in malaysia open final, if anyone of you REALLY watched the match. It was under Li Mao that LCW game STABILIZE. Frankly, I am DISAPPOINTED with LCW and KBH decision to leave. WHY?? because both of them made WONG TAT MENG LOOKED LIKE A FOOL NOW. how does wong tat meng feels now? how will you feel if both of your students leave you and commented that misbun is better?? hey, a NATIONAL SINGLES COACH's ability being doubted. in that case, why choose wong tat meng as the national singles coach in the first place? hey, come on.. BAM chooses wong tat meng because of players' decision and now they are leaving wong tat meng. the only FAITHFUL guy now is WONG CHOON HANN. up or down, he stays with Wong Tat Meng. THIS IS CALLED LOYALTY, to all brothers and sisters out there. so, if u doubt wong tat meng in the first place, don't choose him. but you chosen him and now you left him. sad for wong tat meng. :(:(:(

12. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

if LCW continues not to do well, leave Misbun. LCW left wong tat meng after failing to do well in all england and swiss open. so, to be fair, LCW should leave misbun if LCW fails to do well in ABC. now, all thanks to KBH and LCW, wong tat meng looks like a fool as a national singles coach.

13. sickgal

sickgal Regular Member

Truly agree!!! :p

14. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    Out of all this, no one wins for now.... Wong Tat Meng is effectively coaching the 'second' stringers, and LCW will stagnate under Misbun, as shown before....

Pity both LCW and Tat Meng....

Hopefully im wrong about this, but....

I've nothing against Misbun, but somehow his coaching methods seem to be predictable, and LCW has become that, predictable....

#14 kenny7_2006, Apr 1, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  15. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    kkakakakwakkakaka:D:D:D:D:D:D...........has anyone seen performance of WTM as a player before??? SUX hard.....just hope that he is better in coaching, and had learned something from LM. at least he has produced some good WS for us.

16. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    i think the players shouldnt have the freedom to choose who they get to train with......BAM or head coach YKH should choose for them. After all they are still young and naive. This incident made BAM n WTM looked like a fool.......luckily WCH is there to show WTM what is loyalty about.

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    IMHO it is not Misbun that made LCW predictable, but Li Mao. LCW performances had stagnated before LM left.

Li Mao tried to make LCW more powerful and direct in his play, but this is playing to the advantages of his opponents. BCL, LD, TH, PG are powerful, attacking players. LCW was different and effective because he has very good speed and retrieving abilities combined with his Deceptive strokes and unique style of play. LM took this away from LCW and although he gained more power it did not improve his results too much. Looks at his results from 2003 onwards there is no real difference. He was winning tournaments, making QF, SF before LM arrived, he just did it playing a different style.

If LCW is to take the step up to winning tournaments consistently and being the player to beat, firstly he has to believe he can-he seems to nice and polite not much confidence or aggression, secondly he needs to combine the speed and power to finish the rallies with slower and deceptive strokes he used to have.

18. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I would support LCW to train under Misbun at this period. Actually kinda miss the old speedy + tricky Chong Wei.

19. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

the old speedy and tricky LCW under the guidance of Misbun is easily defeated by Chen Hong in malaysia open final. it was under Li Mao that LCW's game start moving closer to LD. now, going back to Misbun, i hope LCW can really find a solution. since it's his choice, make sure he win in ABC.

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    In 2003? When LCW was 21 and only just coming into the scene it can only have been his first year of playing top star open tournaments. In 2003 when CH was comfortably number 1 by a long way (LD had not even developed by then).

You cannot judge that Misbun did LCW no good on the basis of one match. He was 21 and in his first appearance in a starred tournament beyond the last 16 against the best player in the world at the time.

If you take alook at LCW performances from 2004-2007, there is no discernable difference in the number of QF, SF, Final appearances made by LCW. It can be seen here:

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/playerinfo.asp?playerid=50152