Where to re-string in Singapore?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Nico, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Nico

Nico Guest

I have re-string my racquets many times. It was done by a traditional shop that strings my racquets by hand. But what he gonna know what he puts on without any gauges? So i when to another shop that uses a machine however the tension is very weak by "machine" standards.
    So instead of trial and error, I hope some of you can help me and recommend me a shop please. Thanks Guys/Gals!!!

2. modious

modious Regular Member

The shops I recomend are:

Music Book Room at Bras Basah Complex, ground floor. (Near Bugis, City Hall)

Kemin Sports at Beauty World Plaza. (Near Ngee Ann Polytechnic at Bukit Timah)

A shop in Sembawang shopping centre. (Can't really remember the name for the shop though, Byron will know this. :) And only the guy's stringing is good. The woman whos also doing stringing is not good.....)

Keat Sports & Trading at the Singapore Badminton Hall.

But my stringing is mostly done in the first 2 shops. Hope this helps!

3. Nico

Nico Guest

Thank u i will try the one at Bras Bash cos is nearer. Any recommendation for strings and what tension to tell them?

4. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Please elaborate your style of play and what kind of competancy you're at?

My good guess is that you're not to familiar with the technicalities of such stuff, so probably not too seasoned a player yet.

If you're not too sure what you want in a string, try the Yonex BG-66 or BG-85 at 22 lbs. It should should serve most people very well.

5. Nico

Nico Guest

I am a hard hitter. Plays doubles and my partner and I adopt a front and back stance....I am usually take position at the back. When u say 22lbs thats for main and cross? I want a racquet with high tension.
    Thank U and Seasons Greetings !!!

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    'Hard-hitting' is a relative term. As are most terms used here.

Compared with most of my colleagues, I'm a very hard smasher. But compared to some of my other badminton buddies, I'm just average. Compared to the professionals, I'm just of passable standard. So which category are you in then ?

Adopting a front and back attacking formation or stance as you call it does not make you any better a player/pair. Since in particular you mentioned that you take the rear most of the time. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'USUALLY AT THE BACK' . Its a dynamic game, you're either front and rear or two across. There's no likelihood that you're are in any preferred position in your game.

If you're what you make yourself out to be, you wouldn't be posting such queries here.

'High-tension' is a relative term too. To me, 25lbs and above is a little too high for me. 24 lbs seems to be my threshhold. 22-23 lbs is more than suffice for 95% of the general population. Though there are people whom I play with who go as high as 26-27 lbs. Most people want 'high-tension' for hearsay that its 'more power'. Fact is, higher tensions are meant for control rather than power. Since the pros don't need that much power anyway as their technique is so good.

Also, it is only useful to take 'high' tensions on your strings if your basic technique and arm power has crossed the threshhold. If not, good luck when you start overstraining your arms.

7. Nico

Nico Guest

I think u have got a point there. Thanks 4 ur advice. As for the stance thingy....I agree with you but I honestly find myself in a certain position more often. Maybe is the ppl i play with? Attacking with the same style?
    I shall take ur advice and go string my racquet 22lbs and try. Ouch ! my arm really hurts....over doing the tension previously i suppose.
    Thank u again.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    gladius

** Fact is, higher tensions are meant for control rather than power. Since the pros don't need that much power anyway as their technique is so good. **

gladius, i agreed with your second sentence of the above statement of your but can u elaborate the first sentence. Like, how does a racket with string that feel so hard like a cardboard give better control of the shuttle?

9. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    Re: gladius

Just strung my Ti-10 with 26x25 lbs BG-66......think I'm insane :p

Well just trying heh heh. Let's see how fast the string break this time for me....

10. shlikjohn

shlikjohn Regular Member

IT Consultant
    FAST re-string

Does anyone knows where to have a quick/fast re-string? :confused:

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    almost all stringers can string pretty fast now a days. but sometimes its a matter of luck. if that fast stringer just so happens to be loaded with other urgent racquets to be strung, dont expect any miracles. this is especially true with reputable/experienced stringers as they tend to get more business and are more busy most of the time. the thing is, eveybody wants it quick, but so does the stringer so dont have too high expectations on how fast you can get your racquet back.

the best thing to do is to have reliable backup racquets that you enjoy using so that you wont miss your racquet too much. this is so though you may have to wait longer to get your racquet, you have the peace of mind that it is being handled by 'experienced hands', and that it should be a better string job.

12. adrianzg

adrianzg Regular Member

ns
    can try GALA SPORTS in queensway shopping centre for 4 knots..look for alan..the tension's very consistent as he uses a special technique to tighten the cross strings. watched him string my armotec 700 w forten ti65 which took abt an hour but the stringing's v v good..tight, consistent, string doesn't go out of place after smashing, racket's head shape retained.. :D

find chu beng good for 2 knot stringing..very consistent tension, but his strings r abit expensive and iso's will tend to get deformed(get fat :p )..

anywayz, find that diff stringers will give diff feel to the racket after stringing..gala's 22lbs is equivalent to chubeng's 24lbs which is equivalent to 10 n 10's 25/26lbs..even tho they use the same electronic machine..and my rackets strung at sembawang seem to be more powerful compared to the others even tho it's w e same strings n tension..weird huh? :eek:

13. shlikjohn

shlikjohn Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Thanks a lot Adrian :D

14. yonghao

yonghao Regular Member

Student
    hi, i have a mp99 ... can anyone recommend me the string and the tension thanks

15. syzm2000

syzm2000 New Member

Which one is the best stringer in SG?

Do you have some suggestion on the stringer in Singapore. Which one is the best one in Queensway shopping center?? I am going to string my Ti-10 to 26LBS. Try to find a good stinger. :) Thanks a lot!

:rolleyes:

16. chencp2

chencp2 Regular Member

u can try Gala Sports (#01-30/33, Queensway Shopping Centre Tel : 64761227).
    i'm find it quite gd.

17. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

Always have mine string in JB at 22lbs.

18. jeffreyk

jeffreyk Regular Member

depends on the stringer! Saw an apprentice stringing a racket at Gala & he needed help in knotting...

19. syzm2000

syzm2000 New Member

I know the lady at 2nd floor in Queensway (with many photos with world best tennis player) is very famous for Tennis stringing I do not know whether she is also good at or familiar with Badminton??

:confused:

20. chencp2

chencp2 Regular Member

if u dont mind going JB , 1 place to recommend.

Honly Trading Company
    10 , Blk J, Compleks Lien Hoe, Jln Sutera 3
    Tmn Sentosa
    80150 Johor Bahru,Johor
    Tel : 07 3316676

their rackets and shuttlecocks prices very gd.