Why do pros use BG65?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by molohov, Apr 7, 2007.

1. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    haha i know its a silly question, but i wonder if anyone here knows

i'd like to here some stories about bg65, because i'm considering buying a lot of it so i dont need to make frequent trips to the stringers'

currently i use nanogy 95 on both my racquets, which apparently is a good crossover between power and durability, save the price.

as well, is bg80 durable?

thanks

2. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    First of, choice of string is personal, secondly, BG-65 is a very durable string, it is thicker i believe, than other strings. As for BG-80, it is durable, maybe not as much as BG-65, but the power and repulsion the string has makes up for it. I had BG-80 on one of my racket's and it lasted the racket's whole life and it was 2+ years with heavy use.

3. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    bg-80 lasting two years? impressive!

4. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    But it was only strung at about 22 lbs so it wasn't stretched too much, maybe that's why it lasted so long

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hi,
    here is my concept of strings. higher tension for lower power and high accuray. lower tension for more power from string and less accuracy. see which do you prefer. if you have enough power of your own, go for higher tension. you need more power? string at lower tension but loose accuracy. for me, strings are meant to be break and do not last long. here is my formula, if you play 3 times a week, string shall be replaced at least 3 times a year. 4 times a week, replace it 4 times per year. at this, you will have the best properties from the string. strings will lose quality in time and use.

6. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    i already understand your theory, drifit, but my questoin was what kind of string.

i'm giong to assume, from your reply, that it really doesn't matter what string i use?

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hi mol,
    as i cant see how or the type of player are you, cant really recommend much on type on strings. my personal, go for 0.64 to 0.67mm diameter string at 27 to 29lbs. for me, i will go for bg80 and bg66.

8. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    i'm a player looking for power and durability from a string. im' a doubles player whose accentuation is on pace and power. control and net shots are merely skill to me, and do not require special equipment.

essentially, i want power and durability in a good package.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Not sure if most of them used bg65s, I recall a thread posted by cooler with regards to tournament usage by the pros two years ago. BG80 was the preferred string for on site string work. However, pros hardly ever needed performance boost from their equipment since it's their technique, mental and physical conditioning that really matters. Also, they re-string frequently. A freshly strung bg65 at 30lbs is as good as any other strings. If they mishit and snap a string, they'll just bring out another strung racquet. Advantages bg65 has over other Yonex strings is that it's cheap and relatively durable.

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    A big problem with BG 65 is the fact that it loses its tension fairly quickly. But seing as Pros Have a restring on their rackets before every game, then this becomes less of an issue.

It is actually quite a good question though, why wouldn't pros use a string such as BG-85 or BG-66? They don't have to worry about the cost, and surely the better power and feel these more "advanced strings" would benefit their play?

Some Pros use them, but BG65 is still popular. Is it a sponsorship thing like the rackets? Or just that Pros prefer the feel of BG 5?

11. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    i suppose in these training stages a cheap string like BG 65 will perform as well as i can perform. you're very right, cappy 75.

i thought it was a silly question actually, jamesd20. heh heh...

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    From my experience, BG-65 tends to loose tension a lot slower if the reference tension is 29 lbs or more under drop-weight tensioning.

13. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    yet, at 29 lbs a racquet is likely to break

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Not really. Breakage happens most often when you clash rackets :D. Proper equipment and good stringing techniques are the most important ingredients for high-tension stringing.

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

not that it would matter too much to the pros, since all their racquets are sponsored. also, i doubt many pros, especially the gents, string their racquets at less than 30lbs.

16. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    wow, didn't know that.

ANYWAYS, i think BG 65 will suffice and reflect my skill as it changes. i needn't be wasting away on expensively thin strings at this time.

17. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with bg65. i have a few racquets strung on bg65 and a few on bg80 and a few on bg68ti. they all perform fine, and most of the time it's really whether i'm up for the game rather than the racquets and strings that determine whether i win or lose.
    :eek:

18. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    i will keep your inspirational words in my mind! :p honestly, they are quite good haha.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Pros will get their racquets strung during the tournament thus they get fresh strings. BG65 has the best durability.

If you string BG65 at high tensions, then it starts to feel better in the raqcuet. BG66 is thinner and has more propensity to break. Would you want that at a crucial point in the match?

BG80 is a compromise between the two.

Obviously players have their own preferences as well apart from the above factors. Taufik is the only one I know of who has used BG66. All others have used wider gauge strings.

20. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    thanks for your insight, cheung. the string information is useful.

i think i'll stick with BG 65 now. Plus it has lots of cool colors :D