Crossing Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Byro-Nenium, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'm not a professional stringer and i have no idea if this helps but i wanted to get some opinion and maybe some advice if possible.

Here goes, when you get your racket restrung, some stringers will string the rackets in such a way that the strings down on the outside of the racket at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions are crossing. Or intertwined. So that 1 string is being held down by the other.

I have heard from some people that it helps to hold tension better, and some people say its complete nonsense. I'm not sure if this stringing technique helps to hold tension. Anyone have any comments?

To those in Singapore who have had your rackets strung at either Music Book Room at Bras Basah or Beauty World. Take a look at your rackets at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions if you don't know what i mean.

2. Jon

Jon Guest

I've heard the exact opposite...

... when you string a racquet... its best to have no overlaps... therefore your tension remains steadier...

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Yeah but it makes more sense if it does overlap right? I mean, if the strings overlap, they'll be putting pressure on each other. Holding them down....... Leading to better tension maintainance??

4. john.

john. Guest

I agree with this idea, however you really have to test it out to see which one holds up stronger!

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Crossing strings, knots, number of cross strings from the bottom and top, one or two string method, are all individual style or signature to the particular stringer. Crossing strings help to keep the longer outside strings together, and does look cleaner. However, it is frowned upon by some experts since they say there is a tendency for the string to cut into the other due to this crossover.
    I have not experienced that problem with my string jobs in the past. I personally like doing the crossover because is does look nicer.