my coaching plan..

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by malaysian19, Apr 8, 2007.

1. malaysian19

malaysian19 Regular Member

student/part time coach
    guys, i m from malaysia. age fairly young 19. skill level ,high moderate.
    getting level 1 coaching and sport science in end of the month. i would like to in humble share my coaching plan and ask oppinion from u guys.i am keen on my player foot stability.each session before i start my lesson, i would require my student to pickup shuttle in 6 corners " front-mid-back" of the court with correct footwork.i start with 3 in each corner and add 1 each week and max at 8 shuttle each corner.i require them to collect and put it to middle and put relocate them to the six corner again. when its all finish , its counted 1 set, i require them to do 2 set.main reason for doing that is to maintain their FITNESS and foot STREHGHT .follow by giving them shuttle drills and usually end with full court 6 corners multi-shuttle drils.now, about profile of student i m coaching, i started coaching in a small group of player including my little sister ageing 13 started 1 year ago. now she had turn champion in school level and by that i m attracted to coach more player after player or parents themself see how my sister plays. my sister had been following my plan for roughly 1 year plus, and i do feel its doing great for her.other than my sis player i m training are ageing 10- 15.
    Here is my problem, " some wannabe critic my plan are too harsh on player, especially picking up shuttle, they critic it has no benefit what so ever ," do u guys think it is really so? actually i copy the whole schedule and plan from my coach, his son age 15 is national champion and two others age 12 are also champion. all doing the same thing.so if its not the right program, they should not been who they are now!!

but in a young age, i had no confidence about what i m doing especially when people question and challange my coaching. i m not asking for the untimate plan, but is there any experience coach out there can share me guidance,
    1. had any1 challange ur choaching program?
    2. is my routine trainning program really that meaningless?
    3. what is the correct track for coaching? or izzit differ from every coach and based on the coach experience?

appologize for this long essay post, but appreciated if experience 1 out there share thoughts.. thanks.

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    So they move 8 Shuttles to and from the same corner and do this to all 6 corners? That is 96 Movements for one set if the explanation is correct. Whilst this will benfit them for stamina and learn them to coordinate their feet properly, it is doubtful whether it will train their muscles properly. For badminton you need to be explosive.

How many Rallies have your students played that have lasted 96 movements (192 Strokes?) not many I would think. I would say do the smae exercise, with only 1 shuttle in each corner, but once complete rest for say 20sec then start again. 5-10 sets of this should be enough, if they are pushing themselves. That way they are doing 12 movements per set (24 stroke rally) which is more likely what they have in the game.

Other than that I would say ask the people who say you are too harsh what they do. If your students are happy and enjoying themselves, they that is fine.

3. blessing

blessing Regular Member

wow~! jux only 19 years old den u bcomin a coach.. not bad ar.. hehe.. i htink that is NOT meaningless as my coach trains me similar to dat.. i was trained 4 corners.. have to run from middle to front and middle again... middle-back not yet.. u r givin ur player 8 shuttles but i was luckier.. 5 shuttles only.. but i need to do 4 sets instead of 2 sets with my correct footwork.. if not.. punishment like situp/bumping will be right there waiting for me.. i found my legs become lighter when i am inside d court.. my footwork r not so messy in court anymore..

4. viver

viver Regular Member

1. When I took my coaching course, we had practical classes where we would apply what we have learn. Usually the instructor would ask us the reason why we do this or why we do that. As a coach, I believe from time to time people would question your programs/ideas, but as long as you can base or justify/reason your proposed items it is fine.

2. Picking up shuttles from 6 corners is a very useful and important exercise in my opinion. Maybe you could tell us the reason why you are proposing this exercise during the coaching session - technical reason like practicing the footwork, or training the speed or training the stamina.

3. I have practiced under different coaches and each coach has their own methods and routines. I believe it's important for a coach to have good understanding of the fundamental techniques - technical and theoretical, because every student is different and you may not use one coaching method on all of them. The more students you coach the more you will learn from them.

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

A very interesting article I read recently discussed how talent can be defined as a response to training methods. Training methods can be graded in terms of how complex they are and how refined a quality they target. For example, a simple 6 corner running drill is considered a beginner drill, while a multishuttle drill involing the same movements would be an intermediate drill, and a game situation drill involving the same movement would be an advanced drill, with all these drills targeting the same movements.

What happens is an individual will begin training with the beginner drill, and performing that will benefit his/her overall game up to an intermediate level of proficiency. What happens is at that point this player needs to move up to training with the intermediate drill to continue improving.

The way that this relates to talent is that a talented player can be defined as someone that can reach higher levels of overall performance while using lower-level training methods. At a very high level in any sport, the coach needs to figure out exactly what his athlete needs, and if the wrong ability is targeted for training, all that training might not result in overall improvement. But, if the athlete responds favourably to more simple training methods, which might not give any improvement to a lesser talented athlete, then improvement will continue to occur.

So, ask yourself this - do you want to be a coach who has a certain way of doing things, and just hope to get the particular type of player who will improve optimally with "your" training method? Instead, you could strive to be the coach who can wring out the maximum performance out of ANY player - but that involves figuring what a particular player needs, and adjusting the training program to suit the player's needs.

6. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Actually, the emphasis of this excercise is to over-do beyond the normal so that the normal becomes trivial.

I have done such excercise before, and I have to say, that it solidifies your stance. However, it is terrible to do it fast because as you get tired and you force yourself to do it fast, your knee will shake left or right and cause excessive tear to your knee ligaments. So I wouldn't advice for anyone to do too much of this. There are other excercises that will strengthen up the leg without so much damage. My recommendation is to jog on a good "springy" treadmill with an inclination using long strides and making sure your heels don't touch down.

Now, to further criticize your training plan :D as you seem to be wanting others to criticize it to further develop your experience as a coach :D

1) If you plan on doing physicals, save it for the last. Don't let your trainees feel fatigued by your 'warm-up' physicals in any way such as feeling breathless, even for a minute or so, feeling a part of their body burning up, sweating excessively etc2. The reason for this is being that you would want them to do their technical training at their best. And in my opinion, as a player gets better and better, they become better and better at excecuting the same strokes at a faster speed. So if you wear out your players, you wouldn't be able to get them to learn to execute good strokes at high speed during your technical multi shuttle drills.

2) Your training plan looks boring, only 3 items. You need to increase the arsenal of your training menu. And a theory I have is that if your trainees train and are bored at the same time, most probably their game play is going to be boring; that is to say monotonous, like how some people have only one game plan: net up smash, net up smash etc. Also, different training method might look like it is training the same thing, but each might differ in their pros and cons. So having different methods will make your players become more complete.

3) Your training plan involves too much multiple shuttle drills. I did the same thing before. My trainees become very fast players, but they aren't that consistent and a good defensive player can make them run around the court like mad dog until they drop dead on the court :p This is because in multi shuttle drills, you are being fed with shuttles so fast that you can't focus on your precision. So your precision and perhaps even consistency will suffer if you do too much multi shuttle drills. Unless you are doing it at a slow pace. But then if so, then you might as well do drills like pattern drills, one corner to full court stroke drills, two vs one, half court vs full court, three vs one, etc2, drills that require one shuttle only to be in play.

Oh, and about harshness :D I don't believe in being too harsh on players unless you can't make them laugh anymore at the end of the training session :D I give crazy physicals to my trainees too. I think there was one time I punished them to do 5 squat thrust/burpees for every mistake they do and I think they did like 100 squat thrusts in one training session :D And mind you, they are only 10 year old :D Just the other day I made one of them do a total of like 50 push up in one session. The important thing is that you know when they are too tired to continue and knowing whether the particular excercise is causing more good than harm.

#6 Iwan, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  7. malaysian19

student/part time coach
    1) never force them to do fast.. haha.. coz i m doing it twice a week.i know its tired. but acfter 2 month , its nothing anymore even to those kids.they can finish the exercise like making a dance.but the only time i make then do it fast is when time clocking happen.to clock them and see their progress. but at the same time the exercise will be reduce to 1 set. i understand how tired it is.. i will let the take their time but ofcoz ,i will inspire them to get going n not lazy.
    2) boring? agree also actually... any more good idea? "hopefully more feedback"
    3) yea this is the cons of shuttle drils, they are fast, but in deffence, i did the 2vs 1 also to inprove them...
    4) player knows that especially player with age,, but those kids , and wannabe critics doesnt understand..those are the 1 that often make noise.
    5) actually i m not sure about other country, but malaysia they seem to do it quite often. but i did learn from a few ex-national player.. one of the name ang li peng, ex commonwealth game " google search it" female double medal holder. she require us to do atleast atleast atleast 50-60push up/ sit up/ 40 star jump and few more that i forgotten..
    its the same with all those exercise actually..

discussion continues.....

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Did I kill the discussion? :p :D

9. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Ok, just to get the discussion started again:

Regarding physicals, you do not need to follow what others do. Infact you should diversify. Think about what part of your trainees physicals you want to improve on. Develop a training plan, maybe like a three months training plan where for the first month you do a lot of specific type of excercise, the next you cut down on such excercise, and increase on another type and etc. When thinking of such excercise, try to think of how you want your trainees to develop over the three months, month by month. Then you can start thinking of what excercise to give them to achieve such results.

One thing you should take note, never be ashamed to fail. But be brave to ask around. As in share with others how you want to develop your trainees, why so, what your plans are :) And whether your plan can be improved on.

Oh, and another thing on not to be fixated upon is how many of each excercise to do. You have to steadily get your trainees to do more and more. But you must force the increments in at a steady and reasonable pace, though they may complain :D

#9 Iwan, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  10. awasd

awasd Regular Member

Full Time Coach
    Hi just read through your article. just for your info, you can see and hear lots of coaching methods form anyone and everyone. But is not nesscary to follow them when their student get champ anot. Trust me i was once like you. You have to have your own coaching methods after seeing so many different ways. Any only you will know your students standard and wat are your students capable of. You have to apply What is useful to your students if you see improvement in such methods then carry on with it

11. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
  12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hi Aamir,

Welcome to Badminton Central! I do hope you'll stay around and share some of the knowledge you've gained from playing badminton at the international level. :)

It's good to see you've made a footwork video and are promoting it online. I've left some comments in your recent forum topic.

However, a lot of your posts are promoting the video in irrelevant threads. This kind of advertising can become annoying, as people feel you're not really engaging with the topic or the community, and are only really here to advertise.

Different people (and forums) have different tolerances. Personally, I would label your post in this thread (and a few others) as spam. There is only a tenuous connection to the topic, and the content is purely promotional.

I think everyone here would be delighted if you were to join in the discussions. :)

13. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
    ok thanks and sorry,

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No problem, it's an easy mistake to make if you're new to forums. :) As I said, it's great to have you here and I'm looking forward to learning from you. :)

15. malaysian19

student/part time coach
    it was in 2007 since i last posted here :)
    now i dare to admit myself as an experience coach..
    although teaching only kids and teenage student.
    but i guess alot will be gain trough time.
    so word motivation to all new coaches.
    every1 got to start somewhere. very important to have confidence in our own teaching style. when time prevail we will improve from mistake and confidence will get higher..

16. bsloh

bsloh Regular Member

student
    Malaysian19, r u from penang? actually i m looking for a coach, but i am not able to pay much. i am 21 years old. Normally what is the fees for 1 lesson per week?

17. malaysian19

student/part time coach
    sorry to upset u, but i m from kl

18. bsloh

bsloh Regular Member

student
    aiyo, anyway, thanks

19. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    As i feel that attend course being a coach is useless. My father is a very famous coach in Penang and Malaysia. He did not attend any classes and no cert. Everything just create by himselve. Since 1986, my father come back to badminton life, so many Malaysia teenager champion he has built up for the country. But only 2 national player you guy know,
    1. Lee Chong Wei
    2. Chin Ee Hui (Malaysia top woman double)
    More than a dozen of good player been chosen, and only this 2 shown up in world.
    now, still has 7 in the national training, whether they show up in world ranking or not, still unknown.

20. malaysian19

student/part time coach
    to be fair. coach attending course is not everything. but its not useless either. if its useless, then y u do u think almost all reputable coach hold a level 3 cert? have u personaly attended the course to get the cert? Quoting ""i feel that attend course being a coach is useless. My father is a very famous coach in Penang and Malaysia. He did not attend any classes and no cert"" . do u know how many ppl u had offended trough this statement? not only in badminton, also apply to other sport i.e squash soccer etc etc. coz in malaysia sport science cert apply to almost all sport.imagine if i say driving license is useless to me because i already know how to drive. why the hack i need the license.lol.no doubt ur father have full respect from me, but apart from ur father, theres also sucessfull coach with highest level "level 3 " cert in malaysia did u know that? father of the rising star zulfadli sidek is on if the level 3 holder in malaysia.