Combining Badminton With Billiard? Or Other Sport?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Lost Souls, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Lost Souls

Lost Souls Regular Member

Graphic Engineer
    Hi all.. I hope I didn't messed up with the the rules of the forum now, it's just that, I would like to share my story, with regards of combining badminton and billiard.:)

Just for a background information on the problem, what I meant by billiard would be 9-ball in a 9 feet table. I used the term billiard just for the sake of it's generality. (so that everybody understand the concept of the alternate sport.) It would probably be rather appropriate to be called 'pool' instead of 'billiard'. Anyway, just trying to explain my point here.:)

Another thing that also matters is that, what I meant by billiard here, it doesn't mean that billiard just for the sake of only 'fun'. I hope ya'll understand what I mean... I took billiard as a serious sport, and enjoy putting an effort on the game itself, and also every single thing about it as well.. :mad: Just like most of the people would consider badminton within this forum.:D

Now here comes the problem. I don't know whether I should categorized Billiard as a sport or hobby. But anyway, I played both of them. However, I tend to feel that after I played badminton, my billiard stroke was just horrible. And so does the other way around. It seemed that combining the different stroke all together is just almost impossible.:confused:

Does anyone had the same problem? I mean, played badminton and billiard as well, or badminton with other type of sport, and having similar problem? Anyone survive the matter? Hope hearing from ya'll soon...:p

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Don't quite see why badminton would interfere with your billiards stroke, especially if you've been doing the latter sport for a while. Perhaps you just need to give it more time.

I took up badmiton after playing tennis for 6 years and found that I needed a few months to make an adjustment so that I could easily go from one sport to the other. This is probably a tougher adjustment to make since tennis has so many things common with badminton as well as many differences. My nerves & muscles (muscle memory) eventually figured out the adjustment needed to easily switch between the 2 sports. I now find that each sports actually helps the other.

I had to make a similar adjustment when going from synthetic shuttles to feather birds. Once I made that adustment, I found it difficult to go back to nylon shutttle for a while. Now I have no problem at all making the switch either way. For me its just like switching from tennis mode to badminton mode or vice versa.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, don't see why badminton would affect your billiards, completely different sports. i would say that some racquet sports would be influenced by badminton, such as tennis or squash, i definitely found myself out of position a lot when i was playing a lot of badminton in the summer and switched back to badminton later. it always seemed like i was standing too far behind the shuttle to hit it, just because i was so used to standing a few feet back before i hit the tennis ball. well, no more tennis for me!

4. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Unless you're trying to smash the que ball with the que stick then i don't see why you would have a problem.

I would think that badminton would help your billard skill by having a better and quicker eye and hand cordination.

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Woulnt give up on tennis that easily. Pick a period of time when you are not competing seriously in badminton for a while. I believe that most ppl are capable of learning to play 2 similar, yet significantly different sports -- it just takes a bit of perseverance.

Once you get accustomed to playing both sports at a competent level, you should find that each sport starts to help the other in many ways that you might not have expected.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

haha, ok, maybe later though.
    i'm currently too fond of badminton to play anything else (plus a chronic lack of time!)

7. Lost Souls

Lost Souls Regular Member

Graphic Engineer
    Thanks all for the feedback...

Umm... Bad_Fanatic, I don't really see the connection between having a quicker eye may help my billiard skill. See, within billiard, the stroke is rather more into steady configuration, i.e. playing the game itself, doesn't really require a lot of power, but, on the other hand it requires a perfect deliverance of stroke, so that the cue hits the cue ball in a proper way, especially when it requires a lot of english shot i.e. hitting the cue ball so that when it hits the target ball, it goes backward or forward, or left, or right, or any other possible combination, those kind of things.

My point is that, badminton makes my hand become slightly lighter and shaky(due to the difference way of playing which i believe requires more power compared to billiard), thus making the billiard stroke to flew around. In billiard, steadiness really counts.

Also with the stance. Badminton goes round and round and round. Especially when you find yourself end up with a good opponents. It makes my feet float instead of gripping to the floor (in billiard). See, with billiard, you also need a good stance in order to deliver a good stroke.

So that's in detail about how I found those two sport rather 'the other way around'. The only thing they have in common is the 'follow through' method, however, it still different in practice. (follow through in billiard is not the same as in badminton). I love both sport, and are not willing to sacrifice any.:crying:

8. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Here's something that's possible...

In some sports, like billiards, bowling, golf, darts, etc., you are propelling an object for accuracy. But once the object is released, or struck, that's the end of the process. You can take a long follow-through, use body english, take a long look to admire your effort--it doesn't matter because that's the end of it. In a sport like badminton, after you make your delivery, you have to be immediately ready to move in response to the return. I used to play badminton with a golfer, and many times he would get caught watching where his shot went instead of being ready for the return. I would tell him, "This isn't golf...it's going to come back."